HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » To help decide which cand...

Thu May 7, 2015, 12:11 PM

To help decide which candidate to back

I offer a small bit of wisdom.

Over the years I have met many politicians. Sometimes I was window dressing at a dog and pony show, sometimes I was security, sometimes we just happened to cross paths.
It did not matter if it was Tom, Dick, Harry or Tina, Donna or Mary. it did not matter if there was a "D" an "R" or an "I" after their name. Every one of them, above all else, were politicians. It was their job to hold an office and they were willing to be flexible on any issue in order to keep their job.

I only met one exception who I judged to be a person of integrity and earned my respect. It was not because I agreed with him on every issue but because having met him and looked him in the eye I believe he honestly supported everything he said and stood for.
His name was Wellstone and he is no longer with us.

As for our choices today, none are perfect. Listen critically and choose wisely.

4 replies, 629 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply To help decide which candidate to back (Original post)
sarisataka May 2015 OP
NCTraveler May 2015 #1
upaloopa May 2015 #2
sarisataka May 2015 #4
Tierra_y_Libertad May 2015 #3

Response to sarisataka (Original post)

Thu May 7, 2015, 12:16 PM

1. K & R. nt.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu May 7, 2015, 12:19 PM

2. I think you need to look at the potential outcome

of an election. Voting for the perfect candidate and losing to the other side bringing with it the worst of outcomes is foolish.

Reply to this post

Response to upaloopa (Reply #2)

Thu May 7, 2015, 12:27 PM

4. That is part of

Choosing wisely.

A candidate may match your positions completely but be 100% unelectable.

You can support your candidate and hope for the best or you might have to make compromises with yourself and back a less palatable but more electable person.

Reply to this post

Thu May 7, 2015, 12:25 PM

3. Anyone who isn't skeptical when a politician speaks is a fool or a sycophant.

"History has tried to teach us that we can't have good government under politicians. Now, to go and stick one at the very head of government couldn't be wise." Mark Twain

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread