HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » O’Malley On Debate Schedu...

Mon Aug 10, 2015, 11:25 PM

O’Malley On Debate Schedule: 'What The Hell Kind Of Democratic Party Is This?'

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by TexasTowelie (a host of the General Discussion forum).

Mon Aug 10, 2015 at 07:21 PM PDT
O’Malley On Debate Schedule: 'What The Hell Kind Of Democratic Party Is This?'
by Th0rn

Good for Martin O'Malley, calling out the gross partisanship displayed by the DNC's restricted debate schedule and rules keeping candidates from participating in other, non-DNC debates:

Democratic presidential candidate and former Maryland Gov. Martin O’Malley criticized his party’s debate schedule on Monday, calling the format of six debates a “sad state of affairs.”

“I think that having more debates would certainly have all of the candidates take positions on issues,” O’Malley said in an interview with Boston Herald Radio...

“I’ve been very clear where I stand on Wall Street reform,” he added. “I’ve been clear about my plan to make sure that a debt-free college degree is something that’s within the means of every family in the United States, and I’ve been very clear about wanting to move, and putting out a plan to move our country to a 100% clean electric grid by 2050.”

The schedule of only six debates, fewer than in previous presidential years, and a rule disqualifying candidates from participating in the DNC debates if they participate in any others, blatantly favors those who are going in to the contest with high name recognition (i.e., Hillary Clinton) and disadvantages others who are currently less well known nationally.

O'Malley went on:

“And as the Democratic Party, I think it’s a sad state of affairs when the DNC — it tries to insert itself to cut off a Democratic debate,” he said. “We should not be a party that’s afraid to talk about the ideas that will get wages going up again instead of down. We shouldn’t be a party that’s afraid to talk about America’s role in the world and the lessons we’ve learned from these last very hard 14 to 15 years of conflict.”

“We have better solutions for the future than the other party has, and I think we’re making a huge mistake,” he continued. “If we cut off debate, if we tell the people of New Hampshire that we’ve become such an impoverished party that we can only afford one debate before the New Hampshire primary, what the hell kind of Democratic Party is this?”

Bernie Sanders, also disadvantaged by the DNC partisan rigging of the debate schedule, has also criticized the schedule:

"At a time when so many people in our country are giving up on the political process and the turnout is so low, when public consciousness about government is not high, I would like to see us be debating all over this country," he said. "I'd like to see the DNC have more debates. I would like to see labor union groups. I would like to see environmental groups, women's groups, gay groups...different constituencies, host events and have us debate. So I believe the more debates, the better."

The Republican debates are drawing record viewership. There's obviously great interest in the candidates for this presidential contest. Why is the DNC not capitalizing on it? Are they afraid of exposing the country to Democratic ideas instead of just leaving Republican ones out there without a contrast?

Or is it all about protecting Hillary, at the expense of making gains in spreading the message for the Democratic Party?

DNC, are you listening? We want more debates - lots of them, in all kinds of venues.

If you won't hold them, at least stop keeping the candidates hostage if others are willing to pick up the ball when you can't, or won't.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/08/11/1410817/-O-Malley-On-Debate-Schedule-What-The-Hell-Kind-Of-Democratic-Party-Is-This

16 replies, 984 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 16 replies Author Time Post
Reply O’Malley On Debate Schedule: 'What The Hell Kind Of Democratic Party Is This?' (Original post)
FourScore Aug 2015 OP
daleanime Aug 2015 #1
RobertEarl Aug 2015 #2
Marr Aug 2015 #3
Heather MC Aug 2015 #7
Betty Karlson Aug 2015 #10
PatrickforO Aug 2015 #4
Stainless Aug 2015 #5
totodeinhere Aug 2015 #6
davidn3600 Aug 2015 #8
concreteblue Aug 2015 #9
SoapBox Aug 2015 #11
SHRED Aug 2015 #12
raindaddy Aug 2015 #13
Warren DeMontague Aug 2015 #14
senseandsensibility Aug 2015 #15
TexasTowelie Aug 2015 #16

Response to FourScore (Original post)

Mon Aug 10, 2015, 11:31 PM

1. K&R.....

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to daleanime (Reply #1)

Mon Aug 10, 2015, 11:35 PM

2. This is crucial to our Party's reputation

Our party leaders need to change their ways.
This "Debate our way, or the highway" bs is anti-democratic.

This thread should hit 500 recs.

ETA: Hosts, do not lock. This is NOT a campaign thread, it is general discussion. If you do lock, I suggest you can expect many pm's complaining.

Mon Aug 10, 2015, 11:41 PM

3. It's Hillary's TURN!

Yes, the party establishment is going to do everything they can to rig the process the process for their chosen candidate.

Response to Marr (Reply #3)

Tue Aug 11, 2015, 12:13 AM

7. This is why people become complacent and don't vote :-(

It's sad that we Voters aren't allowed to pick our leaders anymore

Response to Heather MC (Reply #7)

Tue Aug 11, 2015, 01:00 AM

10. That! A thousand times that! eom

Mon Aug 10, 2015, 11:45 PM

4. K & R!

Mon Aug 10, 2015, 11:50 PM

5. Kick the DNC to the curb and take away their control!

Power to the People

Tue Aug 11, 2015, 12:06 AM

6. There is only one reason for this. It's to protect HRC.

The coronation must go forward with no interruptions.

Tue Aug 11, 2015, 12:17 AM

8. DNC is sure going out of their way trying to make sure Hillary gets that nomination

Tue Aug 11, 2015, 12:33 AM

9. Can anyone explain to me....

Why do we have to kowtow to the DNC? What is the authority they operate under? Can somebody illustrate to me with a chart or explanation as to why we should settle for their BS? Is it in the realm of possibility, that a group could not organize a series of debates across the nation, in venues large enough and in sufficient number to render the DNC schedule meaningless? One wealthy donor and a lot of legwork, boom! Dnc debates are irrelevant..............

Tue Aug 11, 2015, 01:02 AM

11. Good for O'Malley!

Tue Aug 11, 2015, 01:16 AM

12. The DNC should change it's name to DLC

Tue Aug 11, 2015, 01:18 AM

13. Good question.. What the hell kind of Democratic party is this?

The next time the DNC asks me for money they'll get their answer.

Tue Aug 11, 2015, 01:22 AM

14. If anyone knows what's good for us, it's Debbie Wasserman-Schultz.

I mean, she wants the government to throw as many pot smoking chemo patients in prison as possible; if that isn't sound judgment, what is?

Tue Aug 11, 2015, 01:32 AM

15. We are to be treated to the very exciting Hill/Jeb race

regardless. Gives me chills.

Tue Aug 11, 2015, 01:37 AM

16. Locking thread.

Statement of Purpose

Discuss politics, issues, and current events. Posts about Israel/Palestine, religion, guns, showbiz, or sports are restricted in this forum. Posts about the Democratic primaries, conspiracy theories and disruptive meta-discussion are forbidden. For more information, click here.

Suggest reposting in the General Discussion: Primaries forum.