HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » What are candidates allow...

Tue Mar 22, 2016, 01:54 PM

What are candidates allowed to use any remaining funds for after an election?

What does US law permit candidates, or their campaign organizations, to do with any uncommitted funds that may remain after the candidates win, lose, or, especially, drop out of election races?

I realize that in many high-profile races, it is more likely for the campaign to be indebted rather than to have surplus funds, and I realize that one of the main reasons that candidates drop out of races is that they have run out of money. But I am asking about the occasional cases in which the campaign actually still has surplus cash on hand.

Can the candidate give the money to another candidate? If so, does it have to be in the same election race or can it be for a future race?

Can the candidate reserve the money for a future race of his or her own, even if there are no definite plans to run again?
If so, what happens to the money if the candidate doesn't ever run again?

Etc.

6 replies, 1190 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply What are candidates allowed to use any remaining funds for after an election? (Original post)
TheDormouse Mar 2016 OP
arcane1 Mar 2016 #1
TheDormouse Mar 2016 #2
NCjack Mar 2016 #3
lagomorph777 Mar 2016 #5
NCjack Mar 2016 #6
oberliner Mar 2016 #4

Response to TheDormouse (Original post)

Tue Mar 22, 2016, 02:02 PM

1. They can use Super-PAC funds for pretty much anything. One reason why they're a bad idea.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to arcane1 (Reply #1)

Tue Mar 22, 2016, 02:04 PM

2. but what about funds to the campaign itself? nt

Reply to this post

Response to TheDormouse (Reply #2)

Tue Mar 22, 2016, 03:17 PM

3. FCC rules apply to funds left over after a campaign ends. The candidate cannot personally

benefit from the funds. Acceptable dispersion of the money is typically: 1) donation to a political party; 2) donation to an active political campaign; 3) donation to an approved charity. When Bernie signed on as a DEM candidate for the nomination, I think he agreed if he terminated his campaign to give the remaining campaign money to the DNC.

Reply to this post

Response to NCjack (Reply #3)

Tue Mar 22, 2016, 03:53 PM

5. Uh-oh. Into the Wasserman-Schultz war chest?

so she can elect more DINOs?

Reply to this post

Response to lagomorph777 (Reply #5)

Tue Mar 22, 2016, 04:01 PM

6. I think your conclusion is correct. If Bernie crashes, I hope he finds a way to spend

all of his money before terminating his campaign. Of course, I'm with Bernie all the way for a win. DWS has shown that she will not pass DNC money to candidates that she does not like. Bernie supporters need not apply. That's why I am donating to down-ticket candidates that in some manner are signaling Bernie's name specifically or adopting positions that correspond to Bernie's.

Reply to this post

Response to TheDormouse (Original post)

Tue Mar 22, 2016, 03:18 PM

4. In theory it goes to the RNC or DNC

Pretty sure that's how it usually works.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread