HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » This acquittal is not the...

Sat Feb 13, 2021, 06:43 PM

This acquittal is not the end of the world. 6 weeks ago, impeachment wasn't even on the table

Yes, it's enormously frustrating that, once again, craven Republicans stepped in to save Trump from accountability for his actions.

But remember that this impeachment is a very short moment in time. Six weeks ago, it wasn't even on the radar. And once the impeachment started, no one thought he'd be convicted. And he wasn't - that's not a surprise. But Trump WAS impeached and a substantial bipartisan majority of Senators voted to convict him. This is historical and important and the Democrats stepped up and did the right thing and history will take heed of that.

But also note that, even if he had been convicted, the only penalty would have been to disqualify him from holding federal office.

And even if he HAD been disqualified, that wouldn't have made him go away. In fact, it would have been a badge of honor - he would have still been in our faces and probably would still threaten to run.

So we're pretty much where we were a few weeks ago. We now need to shift focus to holding him accountable in other, more substantive and sustainable ways. We need to support House and Senate hearings into Trump's wrongdoing and criminal investigations and prosecutions for his crimes.

Today was frustrating and disappointing. But it's not the end of anything - only the beginning.

11 replies, 614 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 11 replies Author Time Post
Reply This acquittal is not the end of the world. 6 weeks ago, impeachment wasn't even on the table (Original post)
StarfishSaver Feb 2021 OP
pandr32 Feb 2021 #1
servermsh Feb 2021 #2
The Velveteen Ocelot Feb 2021 #3
StarfishSaver Feb 2021 #5
bdamomma Feb 2021 #4
Dread Pirate Roberts Feb 2021 #6
msfiddlestix Feb 2021 #7
StarfishSaver Feb 2021 #8
Thekaspervote Feb 2021 #9
LizBeth Feb 2021 #10
StarfishSaver Feb 2021 #11

Response to StarfishSaver (Original post)

Sat Feb 13, 2021, 06:47 PM

1. I sure appreciate you being the voice of sanity and order

Just wanted to let you know.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Feb 13, 2021, 06:49 PM

2. Six weeks ago the insurrection hadn't happened yet.

What an odd comment.

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 13, 2021, 06:50 PM

3. There will probably be an investigating commission, and ultimately

that will be more important and more revealing than this reverse kangaroo court where acquittal was inevitable no matter what evidence was presented. A commission can dig a lot deeper, without interference from the GOP, and is likely to disclose all sorts of bad acts, not only by Trump, but by many others, possibly including members of Congress, and whatever is turned up could also lead to criminal prosecutions of Trump and others.

Reply to this post

Response to The Velveteen Ocelot (Reply #3)

Sat Feb 13, 2021, 06:58 PM

5. Exactly

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 13, 2021, 06:50 PM

4. Only the beginning???

of his demise? and the Sedition Party? I just feel so sick regarding the outcome. I hate those bastards those 43. I only hope their party rips apart.

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 13, 2021, 06:59 PM

6. Oh, no, conviction in the impeachment was Trump's best outcome

Investigations would have stopped right then and there. Not now....

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 13, 2021, 06:59 PM

7. You're right, but it's still a mild gut puncher, Depressing even though expected.

I have to say, I was surprised we managed to a few votes that sort of surprised me.

I don't know how we'll make him accountable. I think we need to laser focus on up coming elections, get rid of Kevin McCarthy here in California, he represents Bakersfield. Filled with White Supremacists, Bible Thumpers and Meth freaks, Quite a mix. but we get rid of him. I don't remember when his jig is up, but there are other hundreds of other seats throughout the country as well.

Too many to count but that's what we need to do, We need to expand our hold on the Senate to the point where we can make Constitutional reforms desperately needed via amendments.

So much needs to be done. And we only have a little over a year to make it happen.

Reply to this post

Response to msfiddlestix (Reply #7)

Sat Feb 13, 2021, 07:01 PM

8. Exactly

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 13, 2021, 07:07 PM

9. HRC put out a tweet yesterday with a similar message..not to despair she said, his legal troubles

Have only just begun

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 13, 2021, 07:27 PM

10. I am not bothered with 57/43. Any person I know will see it as a fail for Trump.

It addressed what was needed. On record, Trump responsible for the insurrection. I do not see Trump ever going to jail, so wasn't on my card.

Reply to this post

Response to LizBeth (Reply #10)

Sat Feb 13, 2021, 07:30 PM

11. Yes

In the short term, Democrats will be angry and frustrated and Trump will parade around as a victor.

But in the long run, this is a huge thing. In the future, no one will care whether there were 67 or 57 votes for conviction. History will forever record that, for the first time in history, a substantial majority of Senators found Trump guilty of inciting insurrection.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread