HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Listening to Chris Matthe...

Sun Nov 6, 2016, 10:26 PM

Listening to Chris Matthews

Talking about the white male in Pennsylvania (excluding the city and suburbs) and the Democrats leaving them behind. The Democrats didn't leave them, they left the democrats because of racism, sexism, homophobia, xenophobia, etc...

They won't go to the Democratic Party because they dont like the "other." They have been watching Fox News, listening to Rush Limbaugh, and surfing on drudge for too long.

8 replies, 1290 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply Listening to Chris Matthews (Original post)
Proud liberal 80 Nov 2016 OP
rurallib Nov 2016 #1
Warpy Nov 2016 #2
thejoker123 Nov 2016 #3
Proud liberal 80 Nov 2016 #4
thejoker123 Nov 2016 #6
uponit7771 Nov 2016 #5
LineLineReply
Dec 1969 #

Response to Proud liberal 80 (Original post)

Sun Nov 6, 2016, 10:39 PM

1. bingo!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Nov 6, 2016, 10:44 PM

2. And losing is going to make them very, very grouchy

White males, especially the ones in semi rural company towns, have taken the economic changes wrought by "free" trade on the chin for the last 40 years. I don't blame them for being angry about being screwed without being kissed. If they ever figure out who's really been doiing the screw job, they will be a force to be reckoned with.

While they're still suckers for swaggering charismatic numbskulls on the far right, nothing will change.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 6, 2016, 11:15 PM

3. I'm a white guy in the philly burbs

But I know the people out in Pennsyltucky. Here's the thing, yes, there's a lot of racism and so on. A lot of general ignorance. A lot of religious nuts.

BUT...I can tell you there is a strong sentiment that democrats have focused most of their energy on minorities and gay rights and woman's issues, and very little on the troubles of the blue collar white man.

While this is misguided, as we all know democrats are the ones who fight for worker rights and unions and higher wages and lower college costs and so on, I think it's true that democrats haven't spoken out loudly and forcefully enough on these issues.

Couple that with these people growing up in these backward and regressive cultures, and you can see why the democrats keep losing more and more of the white vote. To THEM, they see the democrats as a party that fights for minorities and everyone else but then.

UNTIL Bernie came along. He spoke to them, primarily with his trade policies. This is where the future of the democratic needs to go to win the future.

Reply to this post

Response to thejoker123 (Reply #3)

Sun Nov 6, 2016, 11:20 PM

4. I think it is hard for democrats to reach them

Because they are so negative towards democrats and won't listen to what they have to say because of Fox News, Limbaugh and drudge.

Reply to this post

Response to Proud liberal 80 (Reply #4)

Mon Nov 7, 2016, 12:14 AM

6. You're right, not doubt. But at the same time

I don't think democrats have done nearly enough.

Reply to this post

Response to thejoker123 (Reply #3)

Sun Nov 6, 2016, 11:23 PM

5. "and very little on the troubles of the blue collar white man."? really, cause the issues of blue...

... collar PoC are so much less and the dems have excluded white males from this discussion?

I agree with you on Sanders but ...

We'll talk about it later...

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread