HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » GOP House approves huge f...

Thu Dec 8, 2016, 05:41 PM

GOP House approves huge fines for picketing (Michigan)

Michigan GOP at it again-

Lansing — Republicans in the Michigan House voted late Wednesday to make it easier for courts to shut down “mass picketing” demonstrations and fine protesters who block entrances to businesses, private residences or roadways.

Under the legislation, which Democrats decried as unconstitutional prior to the 57-50 vote, individuals who return to a disruptive demonstration already blocked by a court could face fines of up to $1,000 a day. Unions or other organizing groups could be fined up to $10,000 each day.

Michigan law already prohibits certain forms of mass picketing, but sponsoring Rep. Gary Glenn, R-Midland, said a spate of recent incidents make it apparent that “the current penalties are not sufficient to deter already-illegal activity.”

He noted reports that 39 people were arrested last month outside a Detroit McDonald’s “for blocking the entrance and preventing them from being able to conduct their business” during a protest against low wages. Glenn also cited an environmental protest outside the Midland home of Attorney General Bill Schuette in July.

But the proposal is “unnecessary, over-reaching, outrageous, oppressive and un-American,” said state Rep. Leslie Love, D-Detroit, telling her colleagues she was “particularly disturbed” because her African-American elders did not earn equal rights “solely through civil protest.”

More:
http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/michigan/2016/12/07/mass-picketing/95124708/

10 replies, 1467 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply GOP House approves huge fines for picketing (Michigan) (Original post)
James48 Dec 2016 OP
yeoman6987 Dec 2016 #1
Kingofalldems Dec 2016 #2
MFM008 Dec 2016 #3
yeoman6987 Dec 2016 #4
pangaia Dec 2016 #6
Hortensis Dec 2016 #9
Kingofalldems Dec 2016 #8
0rganism Dec 2016 #5
gopiscrap Dec 2016 #7
onethatcares Dec 2016 #10

Response to James48 (Original post)

Thu Dec 8, 2016, 05:45 PM

1. Just in front of businesses, private residences and roadways.

I don't think these are that crazy. I especially think stopping picketers on highways is good. I heard a few have been hurt or worse getting hit by cars.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to yeoman6987 (Reply #1)

Thu Dec 8, 2016, 05:53 PM

2. Spare us your right wing talking points.

You seem to agree with everything republicans do.

Reply to this post

Response to yeoman6987 (Reply #1)

Thu Dec 8, 2016, 05:55 PM

3. oh well thats called

first amendment rights.
republicans aren't familiar with them.
Instead of protecting MI from poison water
they want to forbid protests.
F*ck them.

Reply to this post

Response to MFM008 (Reply #3)

Thu Dec 8, 2016, 05:58 PM

4. I get it but would you want picketing in front of your home?

I can't imagine anyone would want that.

Reply to this post

Response to yeoman6987 (Reply #4)

Thu Dec 8, 2016, 06:02 PM

6. Nobody has any reason to picket in front of my home so no I'm not worried about it.

Reply to this post

Response to pangaia (Reply #6)

Thu Dec 8, 2016, 06:34 PM

9. It's way too broad, Yeoman. The 57 -50 vote should clue

anyone in. This isn't about blocking doorways, it can come into play any time a business wants to claim picketing is affecting business, such as a bunch of striking employees resulting in a drop of customers -- even though the sidewalk's clear and the parking lot in back isn't affected. And even if much of the drop was out of sympathy to the picketers.

The proposal would allow employers or others affected by mass picketing to bring an action against demonstrators in their local circuit court. It also would lower the evidence threshold required for a court to order picketers to stop demonstrations. ... suggesting the proposal could lead to courts shutting down protests based on flimsy or even manipulated evidence.

“This is a denial of due process,” Townsend said. “What the law says now is you have to show irreparable harm, and that’s a significant standard you have to meet. And the reason we have that standard is because they’re not having a full trial.”

Individuals who believe their right to protest was being denied can now be not only arrested for violating but fined up to $1000 a day.

But, hey, it's not like business owners have any more power with municipal governments than others... Maybe you're right and this is only fair and reasonable.

Reply to this post

Response to yeoman6987 (Reply #4)

Thu Dec 8, 2016, 06:33 PM

8. That would be the republican position.

Too bad you don't seem to support the Democratic position on union rights.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 8, 2016, 05:59 PM

5. JFK: "Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable."

he was right then, and he's right now

Reply to this post

Response to 0rganism (Reply #5)

Thu Dec 8, 2016, 06:03 PM

7. Totally agree

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 8, 2016, 08:14 PM

10. "America, where are you now?"

"Don't you care about your sons and daughters?"

Thank you Steppenwolf.

NOTHING CHANGES IN THIS COUNTRY, and we keep hoping a few people on line will triumph over dollar bills.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread