HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » 2016 will go on a little ...

Thu Dec 29, 2016, 12:09 PM

2016 will go on a little longer.... It is time for a leap second!

The year 2016 will last a little longer. You’ll need to wait a second!

As massive as our planet is, the Earth still “brakes” for ocean waves. Remarkably, this pale blue dot decelerates thanks to the braking action of ocean tides. In fact, our planet decelerates 2 milliseconds per day per century, according to the Naval Observatory. The final effect is that the planet’s rotation slows compared to atomic clocks.

>snip<
But since the world slows by about 2 milliseconds a day, a leap second needs to be added about every 500 days. Civil time must be adjusted so that the world’s atomic clocks do not vary from the Earth’s rotational time by more than 0.9 seconds, according to the observatory.

Said Geoff Chester: “By adding a leap second, we’re essentially stopping our atomic clocks to let the Earth catch up.”

More at link: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2016/12/28/on-dec-31-an-extra-leap-second-will-be-added-to-our-universal-clocks-because-waves/?postshare=5281482953246661&tid=ss_tw&utm_term=.2539db5cb43e

3 replies, 1594 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply 2016 will go on a little longer.... It is time for a leap second! (Original post)
femmocrat Dec 2016 OP
MrScorpio Dec 2016 #1
califootman Dec 2016 #2
femmocrat Dec 2016 #3

Response to femmocrat (Original post)

Thu Dec 29, 2016, 12:10 PM

1. Please... No more. Let the madness end.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to femmocrat (Original post)

Thu Dec 29, 2016, 01:28 PM

2. Well, at least that is one extra second...

...before Trump becomes president.

In that vein, I'd like to propose a leap century at the end of 2016. Who do I call at the Naval Observatory to make this happen?

If we need justification, I would offer that far too many minds are stuck in the past century (or earlier) and need the extra time to catch up.

Reply to this post

Response to califootman (Reply #2)

Thu Dec 29, 2016, 01:46 PM

3. Welcome to DU, califootman!

True, we can cherish that extra second of the Obama presidency.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread