HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » An open letter to Newt G...

Thu Dec 29, 2011, 10:50 PM

An open letter to Newt Gingrich from the child of a janitor

An open letter to Newt Gingrich from the child of a janitor

On more than one occasion my father, a janitor, had to take up a collection for a student to send home to their family, to help them buy a ticket if there was an emergency, or to subsidize the funeral expenses for one of his crew, or the part-timers, who didn’t have his years of seniority, and pay.

No child could do that job.

My father only wanted me to get a job where my hands would be clean, and I would not have to pick up other people’s messes. I have, fingers crossed, more or less gotten that far. It has taken some years, and a bit of growth. But now, I am finally proud to be the child of a janitor. Those millions of us who were taken care of, provided for, and raised by working class folks such as maids, home health care workers, and janitors, have much to hold our heads high about.

These people are the real “job creators” in this country: they pay bills, provide for their families, and donate to churches, mosques, synagogues, and charitable organizations.

Working class people like my father help to sustain communities and neighborhoods.

Whenever Newt Gingrich and his brand of 1% percent plutocrat conservatives besmirch the working people of this country, people like us and our kin, we need to speak up. There is no shame in our lineage. And all of us need to say thanks, to acknowledge those janitors, maintenance people, and the like who work in our schools, office buildings, apartment complexes, and take care of our aged and sick parents and relatives. They deserve our respect; unfortunately, they rarely receive it from the American people.

Once more, I am proud to be a child of the working class. Are you?

the rest:
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/12/29/1049773/-Compassionate-conservatism-An-open-letter-to-Newt-Gingrich-from-the-child-of-a-janitor?via=siderec

3 replies, 1866 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply An open letter to Newt Gingrich from the child of a janitor (Original post)
kpete Dec 2011 OP
mrs_p Dec 2011 #1
BlancheSplanchnik Dec 2011 #2
Stuart G Dec 2011 #3

Response to kpete (Original post)

Thu Dec 29, 2011, 11:27 PM

1. yes, yes I AM

We should start a writing campaign with letters like this.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Dec 30, 2011, 12:21 AM

2. that is one powerful letter.

I hope it goes viral in a big big way.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Dec 30, 2011, 04:45 PM

3. very powerful..K and R nt

Reply to this post