HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Sitting here in early eve...

Thu Jul 5, 2012, 12:09 AM

Sitting here in early evening (9 p.m.). Outside is like a

scene from Platoon. Our cat is totally freaked out, as are a couple of our neighbors' dogs.

It's like the police department can beat up and brutalize peaceful Occupy demonstrators, but they are nowhere to be seen on July 4th when it comes to illegal fireworks displays.

I have really grown to hate the 4th of July holiday.

51 replies, 7076 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 51 replies Author Time Post
Reply Sitting here in early evening (9 p.m.). Outside is like a (Original post)
coalition_unwilling Jul 2012 OP
frogmarch Jul 2012 #1
coalition_unwilling Jul 2012 #16
dixiegrrrrl Jul 2012 #26
Liberal_in_LA Jul 2012 #2
JDPriestly Jul 2012 #8
ohheckyeah Jul 2012 #32
coalition_unwilling Jul 2012 #17
zappaman Jul 2012 #19
coalition_unwilling Jul 2012 #21
zappaman Jul 2012 #22
coalition_unwilling Jul 2012 #23
Javaman Jul 2012 #25
Liberal_in_LA Jul 2012 #36
Javaman Jul 2012 #37
kestrel91316 Jul 2012 #3
BlueJazz Jul 2012 #4
xfundy Jul 2012 #6
BeHereNow Jul 2012 #5
Luminous Animal Jul 2012 #7
Spitfire of ATJ Jul 2012 #9
nobodyspecial Jul 2012 #10
Duer 157099 Jul 2012 #11
Spitfire of ATJ Jul 2012 #12
coalition_unwilling Jul 2012 #14
former9thward Jul 2012 #31
one_voice Jul 2012 #38
Post removed Jul 2012 #43
one_voice Jul 2012 #49
HiPointDem Jul 2012 #13
SoDesuKa Jul 2012 #15
DAngelo136 Jul 2012 #18
coalition_unwilling Jul 2012 #20
enlightenment Jul 2012 #30
joshcryer Jul 2012 #24
LibertyLover Jul 2012 #27
dixiegrrrrl Jul 2012 #28
LibertyLover Jul 2012 #33
coalition_unwilling Jul 2012 #29
Liberal_in_LA Jul 2012 #35
Liberal_in_LA Jul 2012 #34
Jamaal510 Jul 2012 #39
HeiressofBickworth Jul 2012 #40
coalition_unwilling Jul 2012 #44
HeiressofBickworth Jul 2012 #48
coalition_unwilling Jul 2012 #50
nadinbrzezinski Jul 2012 #41
hfojvt Jul 2012 #42
pinboy3niner Jul 2012 #45
coalition_unwilling Jul 2012 #46
pinboy3niner Jul 2012 #47
patrice Jul 2012 #51

Response to coalition_unwilling (Original post)

Thu Jul 5, 2012, 12:20 AM

1. So have I. Our dogs are

afraid to go outside to pee because of the horrendous firecracker bangs and the whistles and shrieks the roman candles are making - not to mention the huge sparks flying everywhere in front of and above our house.

Fireworks are legal in my town. Forest and prairie fires all around us, but oh, well, folks gotta have fun on the 4th!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to frogmarch (Reply #1)

Thu Jul 5, 2012, 02:54 AM

16. Give your dogs hugs and kisses from us. Our cat is decidedly

anti-canine in the extreme, so we only get to enjoy dogs vicariously when we walk down by the beach or our neighbors go on vacation

Thanks for the graphic.

Reply to this post

Response to frogmarch (Reply #1)

Thu Jul 5, 2012, 12:33 PM

26. Our dog has a Valium script from the vet.

We haul out the bottle for fireworks here on the 4th, and on Christmas eve and on New Year's...seems like evey occasion is greeted with fireworks down here..and gunshots..
then there is the heavenly fireworks, as storms are frequent.

The downers do help poor doggy, and earplugs help me.

Reply to this post

Thu Jul 5, 2012, 12:21 AM

2. ha ha! It's like that in Los Angeles. totally ignored law

Reply to this post

Response to Liberal_in_LA (Reply #2)

Thu Jul 5, 2012, 02:09 AM

8. And it's the fire season.

You'd think that people would have seen what happened in Colorado and stopped and thought.

Reply to this post

Response to JDPriestly (Reply #8)

Thu Jul 5, 2012, 01:52 PM

32. Yes, you'd think they would

but my idiot neighbors didn't. We have had temperatures over 100 for a week, everything is dry as hell and the idiot is putting off fireworks. I wanted to put my foot up his ass.

Reply to this post

Thu Jul 5, 2012, 02:59 AM

17. I'm wondering how it was possible to assemble 1500 cops

to bust up the Occupy camp and roust its campers, but I have yet to see a single police car on any of our close-by streets. Not a one.

Now earlier today, there was quite an intimidating display of pig force down on the Venice boardwalk where they were busy hassling artists and musicians - based on what my wife and I saw. Pretty muted down there, given the clouds and cool weather. But must have seen 50 pigs on bicycles, dune buggies, Segues and SUVs and cop cars and motorcycles.

Reply to this post

Response to coalition_unwilling (Reply #17)

Thu Jul 5, 2012, 03:10 AM

19. There has been an uptick in gang related violence recently in Venice.

And there are always extra police out and about on the 4th since it's an insane amount of people in one small area.
"they were busy hassling artists and musicians"-bullshit.

Reply to this post

Response to zappaman (Reply #19)

Thu Jul 5, 2012, 03:21 AM

21. Um, well, I saw the LAPD hassling a couple vendors, one a plastic artist and another

a musician, both without some sort of permit. Apparently there's some sort of municipal ordinance that requires people on the ocean side of the boardwalk, i.e., the public side, to get permits if they want to sell or perform.

So not sure where the 'bullshit' is coming from.

Reply to this post

Response to coalition_unwilling (Reply #21)

Thu Jul 5, 2012, 03:32 AM

22. There is an ordinance.

Performing is fine. If a musician is being hassled, I'm sure it's for a legit reason that has nothing to do with permits.
The ordinance 42.15 was put in place because all of the cheap, non-handmade crap was pissing off the vendors on the East side of OFW who had to pay for their shops. Setting up a little stand with t-shirts and paying nothing for the space across from a guy selling shirts out of a space he legitimately paid for...seems a little unfair, don't it?

From one of many articles...
"But, more contentious, is the restrictions, in order to protect competition for east-side vendors, on items that vendors on the west side of the boardwalk can sell. Because a previous legislative effort to regulate boardwalk vendors was halted due to concerns of free speech violation, the new ordinance carefully restricts only merchandise that does not qualify as an expression of free speech. What will remain protected is vendors' own art, such as paintings, CDs, poetry, etc. There will also be spaces reserved for traditional speech activites, including bumper stickers, pamphlets, patches and buttons.What will no longer be permitted on the west side are "non-expressive" items, including clothing, sunglasses, incense, candy, oils, crystals, toys, housewares, auto parts and jewelry."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/14/venice-boardwalk-ordinance_n_1149165.html

As far as them being "pigs", my experience has always been pleasant with the few officers I've encountered in Venice. Then again, I don't give them a reason to hassle me...like this guy below. By the way, this kinda shit(and much worse) happens all the time here, so I tend to cut the police a little slack.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/03/nude-man-in-venice-beach-_n_1645108.html

Reply to this post

Response to zappaman (Reply #22)

Thu Jul 5, 2012, 03:42 AM

23. That's funny. On the west side (ocean side) of the boardwalk today, I saw many vendors selling

what looked like cheap, non-handmade crap. And the police weren't hassling them. Who were they hassling? Some guy who had hand-made sculptures in frying pans (cool sculptures albeit a bit weirdly staged, imo) and a guy playing saxophone (unamplified, no less). I could not see any reason why either person had attracted attention and was told by another vendor of the permit issue.

I'd be far more charitably disposed to the pigs if the fireworks had not been going off non-stop from about 8 p.m. until midnight. We're not just talking your random firecrackers, but these really loud ones that sound like gunshots or even bombs and these Roman Candle-y types that go off 4 or 5 times, all guaranteed to drive my cat completely nuts. And put my wife and me both on edge. And, like I say, I haven't seen a single cop on La Cienega or any of the side streets I can see from my balcony.

Reply to this post

Thu Jul 5, 2012, 11:46 AM

25. And it's not just illegal fireworks they are shooting off there...

I lived for a long while in L.A.

Do they still have the commercials warning people of falling bullets?

I remember one particular 4th in the early 90's when the guys who lived in the apt building behind mine, where shooting their Ak's in the air.

It wasn't a particularly nice neighborhood.

Reply to this post

Response to Javaman (Reply #25)

Thu Jul 5, 2012, 02:22 PM

36. Shooting bullets was big in the 90s, then the cops really cracked down on it. Not much of that

anymore. I also recall my neighbors firing bullets. I could hear him run out of bullets and the sound of the gun being reloaded. It was surreal!

They had a huge campaign in the 90s, with billboards, prosecutions, rapid response and arrests.

Reply to this post

Response to Liberal_in_LA (Reply #36)

Thu Jul 5, 2012, 04:46 PM

37. That's really good to hear. :) Thanks for the info.

Cheers!

Reply to this post

3. I am lucky now in that both my cats are completely nonplussed by

the fireworks, and they have been going fast and furious for a couple of hours. And yeah, the cops don't seem to put a priority on illegal fireworks IN USE.

The local legal public display in my area seems to have been really short this year, with a pathetic attempt at a finale.

ETA: I am always relieved to get through the 4th without falling victim to a random bullet through my ceiling.

Reply to this post

4. I feel your pain.

It's 12:20 AM here in St Petersburg and some pricks down the street are blowing up
(sounds like) 17 hydrogen bombs.

...With megaphones. Damn...

Reply to this post

Response to BlueJazz (Reply #4)

Thu Jul 5, 2012, 12:43 AM

6. St Pete? Watch out for the $cientologists!

Oh, scary!

I miss driving out over the Howard-Frankenstein Bridge going to Pass-a-grille. Is that little place that sold Hurricanes still out there?

Wow, that just sparked a memory I thought I'd escaped from years ago. Thanks!

Reply to this post

Thu Jul 5, 2012, 12:43 AM

5. I hate it too.

I will celebrate when the Patriot Act is repealed.
Until then, we are not free.
BHN

Reply to this post

Thu Jul 5, 2012, 01:04 AM

7. Yep. My daughter's best friend had her fingers destroyed by a thrown M80.

They were just sitting in the park watching fireworks when a bunch of people thought it was cool to toss around explosives to celebrate "freedom". My husband's upper middle class "sport fishing" and "sports hunting" family also think it is great fun to celebrate firing their guns into the air. My farming, foresting, sustenance hunting family would deem them total assholes.

Reply to this post

Thu Jul 5, 2012, 02:15 AM

9. Could be worse....

Reply to this post

Thu Jul 5, 2012, 02:19 AM

10. I'm sure the cops are off somewhere beating up innocent people

That's obviously all they do (in your mind, anyway).

Seriously, it's one day a year. Lighten up, Francis.

Reply to this post

Response to nobodyspecial (Reply #10)

Thu Jul 5, 2012, 02:21 AM

11. One day a year?

Bullshit. This has been going on for over a week and will continue.

Reply to this post

Response to Duer 157099 (Reply #11)

Thu Jul 5, 2012, 02:25 AM

12. Anyone ya wanna shoot?

Now's the time.

Reply to this post

Response to nobodyspecial (Reply #10)

Thu Jul 5, 2012, 02:44 AM

14. You ass. It's now 11:40 p.m. and they are still going off non-stop.

When the LAPD busted the Occupy Los Angeles camp on Nov. 30, they amassed 1500 cops for some 300 peaceful and non-violent Occupiers who remained at City Hall. And yes, the LAPD did beat Occupiers, subjected them to cruel and inhumane extra-judicial punishments and refused to allow them access to attorneys and restroom facilities.

But when flagrant lawbreaking is occurring involving incendiary devices, those 1500 pigs are nowhere to be found.

So why don't you go fuck yourself?

Reply to this post

Response to coalition_unwilling (Reply #14)

Thu Jul 5, 2012, 01:49 PM

31. Get off my lawn!

Reply to this post

Response to coalition_unwilling (Reply #14)

Thu Jul 5, 2012, 11:04 PM

38. Dang....

Calling someone an ass and telling them to go f-themself all in the same post. You must be proud. I read their post 3 times, couldn't find where they called you any names, or told you to f yourself, could be I missed it.

AND for the cherry on top, you called the cops pigs. Thanks for that. My brother was a cop, he was shot at more than once. But you keep on calling them pigs, cuz I'm sure those good citizens had good reasons for shooting at him. And the day he was chasing the guy that damn near beat his wife to death...the day he had his heart attack...yeah that day...I'm sure that good fine upstanding citizen didn't deserve to be chased by my 'pig' brother.

Imagine how much safer our streets would be without all those dangerous pigs.

You have yourself a nice day.

Reply to this post

Response to one_voice (Reply #38)

Response to Post removed (Reply #43)

Fri Jul 6, 2012, 09:16 AM

49. Bless your lil kind heart...

if you're ever in need of a 'pig' and they come to your aid, please do tell them how you feel about them. My brother retired honorably, he took shit sometimes cuz he didn't just 'go along' but he was a better man for it and had more respect than shit. Hope that answers your question about planting evidence and lying under oath. But thanks for the insinuation.

I don't need to read anything. I know there are bad cops. But there are far more good cops, like my brother.

I will not travel into the sewer you seem to inhabit, you're a very angry hateful person, I do hope you get help for that.

I wish you nothing but peace and good health, both physically and mentally.

Reply to this post

Thu Jul 5, 2012, 02:31 AM

13. me too. the locals now compete with the city for "biggest display". it seems crazy.

it's been pretty non-stop for 4 days.

Reply to this post

Thu Jul 5, 2012, 02:49 AM

15. No Firecrackers in New York City

Rudy Giuliani put a stop to it. He didn't do much, but he did put a stop to the annual madness around the Fourth of July.
[center]

Rudy the Jerk
[/center]

Reply to this post

Thu Jul 5, 2012, 03:08 AM

18. Well, if it's worth anything

I don't "celebrate" the 4th of July. As an African-American, I choose to take the day to read Frederick Douglass's "What The 4th of July Means To A Slave", the SCOTUS decisions in Dred Scott v.Sanford and Plessy v.Ferguson.
Besides, July 4th was NOT when the United States became independent, it was on Sept 3.1783 with the signing of the Treaty Of Paris which Great Britain formally recognized the United States of America as independent. Once again, legend takes over for historical fact.

Reply to this post

Response to DAngelo136 (Reply #18)

Thu Jul 5, 2012, 03:17 AM

20. My cat thanks you from the bottom of her admittedly fickle heart (as do my wife and I). Technical

note: I think July 4 commemorates the signing of the 'Declaration of Independence' and not the actuality of independence.

Myself, I prefer July 14 (Bastille Day) and 'liberte, egalite and fraternite'. Paris puts on one hell of an official fireworks show too.

Reply to this post

Response to DAngelo136 (Reply #18)

Thu Jul 5, 2012, 01:32 PM

30. Technically, yes, the treaty established the US as an independent nation -

but it was the Declaration of Independence that declared the intent, and that's what is 'celebrated' (by blowing things up. Never have understood that part).

Not legend, just a question of what the colonists' perceived as their moment of independence from Great Britain.

Reply to this post

Thu Jul 5, 2012, 04:11 AM

24. Bunch of teenagers here were marveling over their friends' newly acquired gun.

I climbed the back side of my stairs to avoid the group (heavy bushes, they didn't see me). I wouldn't have done it except that when I first passed by those kids the one with the gun followed me trying to get my opinion on it. I pretended like I didn't hear / understand (they used thick slang).

Fuck.

I hate the 4th of July.

Reply to this post

Thu Jul 5, 2012, 12:37 PM

27. My dogs and I feel your pain

A few years ago Maryland, where I live, legalized fireworks. So now a few weeks before 4th of July and to a lesser degree New Year's Eve, stands selling the damned things pop up like mushrooms after a rain storm. And it's not just sparklers, oh no, perish that thought. It's huge, loud, professional fireworks. For a few days leading up to the 4th, you hear a few booms and pops at night, but last night sounded like a hot war zone it was so blessed noisy. The dogs wouldn't settle and I finally wound up giving them melatonin, which did help, not to mention cuddling with them on the bed, which was less fun given that "the dogs" are a greyhound and a whippet and it was hot in the house thanks to it being 87 degrees outside at 9:30 pm last night.

Reply to this post

Response to LibertyLover (Reply #27)

Thu Jul 5, 2012, 12:42 PM

28. Psst..I posted up thread about ....vets will sometimes give you meds for the dogs

Dogs can take Valium...5 to 10 mg...takes about 30 minutes to work.
My 80# beast is moderately calm on 5 mg, and fairly zonked on 10 mg.
I have to make sure he has had his last pee for the night before giving him 10 mg, tho.
Otherwise he is a boneless dog till morning.

Reply to this post

Response to dixiegrrrrl (Reply #28)

Thu Jul 5, 2012, 01:59 PM

33. Thank you -

I thought about going the valium route, but honestly it's just 4th of July that bothers them. Neither cares the least little bit about thunder storms for example. I had the greyhound to the vet's about 2 weeks ago and mentioned 4th of July and he's the one who suggested the melatonin. I could have kicked myself because I used to give it to our other greyhound and Siberian Husky who were both upset by thunder, but didn't think about it for 4th of July. I am also kicking myself for not getting the melatonin into them sooner than I did. Oh well, I'll be prepared for next year.

Reply to this post

Thu Jul 5, 2012, 12:58 PM

29. Please give your dogs a hug and kiss from my wife and me. Our cat is decidedly anti-canine, so

we have to get our dog love vicariously by walking down at the beach and so on.

What really bugged the shit out of me is that it is nominally illegal to discharge fire works inside the city limits of LA, but I did not see a single cop all night long.

Reply to this post

Response to coalition_unwilling (Reply #29)

Thu Jul 5, 2012, 02:19 PM

35. too many violators for cops to handle. It's like prohibition or the 55 speed limit. routinely

ignored law

Reply to this post

Thu Jul 5, 2012, 02:18 PM

34. yes. things have changed. Every one is using the professional ones that soar high into the air

everyone! Last night, I left a restaurant after 10pm. as I started my car. there was a big BOOM that startled me. Then an explosion in the sky. Someone set one off about 100 feet away. This is the LA suburbs. The fourth and New years.

Reply to this post

Fri Jul 6, 2012, 12:08 AM

39. What I don't like about 4th of July are

the fireworks and the lack of quality TV. While I can't deny that fireworks are beautiful to look at, they're so noisy that it's even more difficult for me to sleep at night because they sound like gunshots.

My grievance that I want to voice about holiday TV is that all they pretty much show on msnbc is LockUp, as if people actually want to see what prison is like. Not only that, but what's also annoying is that either regular programming on other channels is not in effect, or they show re-runs of episodes when everyone has the day off. I hate how TV shows never air new episodes on holidays or on Fridays and Saturdays, yet they love to do so the night before most people go back to work or school.

Reply to this post

Fri Jul 6, 2012, 12:51 AM

40. Of our 4 kitties,

one ran to the garage rafters as soon as she heard the first one, the others remained in their usual napping positions but one raised her head "Meh" and then went back to sleep. The one in the rafters came down this morning. And, yes, my little town banned fireworks several years ago -- oh, I just heard another one go off but not close by.

Reply to this post

Response to HeiressofBickworth (Reply #40)

Fri Jul 6, 2012, 02:45 AM

44. It made our cat jumpy as all hell. Each time one of those one that

sounds like a bomb would go off, she would start suddenly and race around the place madly. Matters not helped by her having just been to the vet a couple days previously for something called 'stuvite' crystals that caused her a lot of pain and required a lot (for her) meds and all.

Sounds like 3 of your cats are vets. I feel badly for the one who sounds like she was traumatized.

Reply to this post

Response to coalition_unwilling (Reply #44)

Fri Jul 6, 2012, 05:02 AM

48. Of the three calm ones,

one is 16 and the other two are just two years old. It was one of the two-year olds who "meh" at the sound. The one who hid in the rafters is also 2 years old. She frequently heads for the rafters -- anytime the doorbell rings or if there are strangers (to her) in the house. Otherwise, around the house, she is assertive and independent. But that's why we love cats -- they are so interesting. Hope your gets over her medical problem.

Reply to this post

Response to HeiressofBickworth (Reply #48)

Fri Jul 6, 2012, 11:43 AM

50. I love cats too. They are such amusing, contrary creatures. Ours is by turns

extremely affectionate - almost dog-like -- and aloofly fickle. She was feeling better after shots of antibiotics, pain killers and special food that dissolves the stuvite crystals. But I could tell the constant 'pop, pop' of the fireworks was annoying the hell out of her, as it was my wife and me.

Reply to this post

Fri Jul 6, 2012, 12:59 AM

41. Well due to work

I now monitor fire, yup I know, silly.

Anyhow, one good piece of news.... it was so damn humid and NON WINDY last night that all those smoke checks and all that, led to very small fires.

On the down side, structure fire, in E Cajon, still under investigation... FD said residents claim a rocket fire came though the window.

Reply to this post

Fri Jul 6, 2012, 02:50 AM

45. I've kinda gotten used to it over the years

And it was worse when we had not only the fireworks, but the police also used to use Hueys to fly over the neighborhoods. You know what I mean, my friend.

Now, the only ones that really bother me are the ones that are VERY close and VERY loud. Those are the ones that make me VERY jumpy...

Fortunately for me, this year wasn't bad here. It sounds like you and Mrs. c_u had it much worse than I did. I hope they've quit by now.

Reply to this post

Response to pinboy3niner (Reply #45)

Fri Jul 6, 2012, 02:58 AM

46. My Dad fought in Korea (wounded at Inchon) and he always said that the battle scene in "Platoon"

was the most accurate film depiction of a fire fight he ever saw on screen. Actually, though, last night reminded me more of the famous river nighttime battle scene from Apocalypse Now.

It was crazy insane here until about midnight and then slowly died out. Only a few isolated bangs here and there tonight. Our cat has now settled back down.

Glad to hear yours was relatively peaceful. I cannot even begin to imagine what it must be like for vets who saw combat, but I know it can't be very pleasant.

Reply to this post

Response to coalition_unwilling (Reply #46)

Fri Jul 6, 2012, 03:21 AM

47. I felt the same way about 'Platoon'

Not crazy about the 'Heart of Darkness' theme squeezed in, but the combat scenes were very realistic to me. And by the time the movie came out I'd opened up and was beginning to manage my disorder--and I organized a group of vets to hand out Vet Center flyers in the 5 or 6 local theaters that were showing it. The Team Leaders told us that a lot of vets walked in with our flyers in hand.

Not that I didn't have my own regressions later, but--all in all--I've managed to come out pretty well. My concern is more with those who are returning now. And I've talked to some who are having a very hard time, really struggling. They have much more to worry about than a few holiday fireworks. Just driving down the street every day they get freaked out frequently by the possibility of roadside bombs.

I'm confident that most of them will make it...but I know that it will be a long and difficult haul for the majority who will survive. And, compared to them, I figure I've really got it pretty easy these days.

Reply to this post

Fri Jul 6, 2012, 11:52 AM

51. I hate it too. Municipal displays, fine, but this bullshit going on in the streets is stupid.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread