HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » NPR tweets Declaration of...

Wed Jul 5, 2017, 06:30 AM

NPR tweets Declaration of Independence trump supporters take offense

NPR has a tradition of reading the Declaration of Independence on air for the last 29 years, but the whiny persecuted rightwingers were having none it.

"you’d think that people who want to “make America great again” might recognize the words of the Declaration of Independence. I guess not."

"The line about the right of the people to abolish the current government and form a new one struck a chord with some Trump enthusiasts."

"And some people were particularly offended by the line about King George IV being an “unworthy” leader of a civilized nation, believing that perhaps NPR was talking about a different tyrant:"

http://gizmodo.com/trump-supporters-cry-bias-after-npr-tweets-the-declarat-1796633566

15 replies, 13109 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 15 replies Author Time Post
Reply NPR tweets Declaration of Independence trump supporters take offense (Original post)
Va Lefty Jul 2017 OP
Maggiemayhem Jul 2017 #1
Va Lefty Jul 2017 #2
LakeArenal Jul 2017 #12
LakeArenal Jul 2017 #13
tanyev Jul 2017 #3
retrowire Jul 2017 #4
AllyCat Jul 2017 #5
sarge43 Jul 2017 #6
mountain grammy Jul 2017 #7
Alice11111 Jul 2017 #8
BillyBobBrilliant Jul 2017 #9
broadcaster90210 Jul 2017 #10
hvn_nbr_2 Jul 2017 #11
JHan Jul 2017 #14
Mc Mike Jul 2017 #15

Response to Va Lefty (Original post)

Wed Jul 5, 2017, 06:55 AM

1. The right needs a reality clue

In 2010, when the tea party supporters were carrying copies of the Constitution, do you think they actually read it or if they did read it, comprehended it? If Limbaugh or Hannity tweeted the Declaration of Independence line by line, they would be cheering and marching with their AR15s. This country is suffering from sheer stupidity and ignorance. Learning always starts at home, but the if the adults are so uninformed or misinformed, how do we get past that? My daughter took AP classes in school and would come home and bitch about her classmates narrow world view. If the National Honor Society is brainwashed by Fox, how do we survive ?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Maggiemayhem (Reply #1)

Wed Jul 5, 2017, 07:00 AM

2. Agreed. From the comments section...

"Let’s be honest, if they were capable of remembering history and identifying basic elements of what it is to be American, they wouldn’t have voted for Trump in the first place, right?"

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 5, 2017, 03:35 PM

12. I would suggest a reality sledge hammer...

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 5, 2017, 03:36 PM

13. Welcome to Du..

It's cathartic, fun, and informative.

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 5, 2017, 07:10 AM

3. Funny how Trump supporters immediately concluded that 'unworthy leader' referred to Trump.

They may not admit it, but they know. In their most honest moments, they know.

Reply to this post

Response to tanyev (Reply #3)

Wed Jul 5, 2017, 07:27 AM

4. This. This so much hahahaha nt

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 5, 2017, 07:38 AM

5. This is spot on!!

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 5, 2017, 07:50 AM

6. Exactly

If the shoe fits ....

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 5, 2017, 08:52 AM

7. Yep, many of them do.

and many are complete idiots.

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 5, 2017, 09:10 AM

8. The same bunch that started saying " freedom fries, "oops,

We would not have won the American Revolution, but for the French.
The Trumpsters don't make an effort to know what they are talking about. Go take an intro history course. Read a book. Google it. They probably think it's fake education.

Maybe people under a certain age, absent a legitimate excuse, should have to recite or write (i cant write).the Declaration of Independence, US Constitution and Amendments, before they get a driver's license(that might not pass the rationally related test );but, Graduate Middle School, .Graduate HS; Start college,Or tech school and graduate, get a passport, tech scool graduation, etc. It would be a tiny pain to mitigate the stupidity of these people who go around saying "According to the Constitution...'" all the time, and they've never read it, much less given it thought. It would be easier than memorizing the words of a few pop songs.
This would apply to those staying here as well. Then, an easy test, sort of like the drivers license tests where they give you the questions in advance. This would insure they world at lease know the Presidents namea, in order of history, and cite one history event HE is known for. Tell 2 brief recent events and tell how they relate to the US Constitution.

That's such a low bar. I taught Political Science in college for many years, and did that a couple of times.
Some Grummbling, but I got really good feedback, includine thank yous, and we had really good discussions.

It Seemed when eveyone was memorizing and thinking about it, it provoked a lot of questoons and in depth discussions. Some even looked up cases. Sounds old school, I know, but I routinely check my phone copy. it's not very long, and at least there would be a higher, learning form of discussion.

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 5, 2017, 09:27 AM

9. To paraphrase a famous quote from cinema

"We don't need no stinking brains!."

Fill in your own object noun as a substitute for brains.

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 5, 2017, 10:29 AM

10. HOW is it possible to be this stupid?

Decades as an attorney and a judge and I have never seen such brazen ignorance.

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 5, 2017, 02:53 PM

11. This problem is more than 50 years old.

I'm 70 now but I remember in high school seeing reports of the same stupidity. Someone would read to people excerpts of the Declaration and ask them which of several sources it came from. More guessed either the Communist Manifesto or Mao's Little Red Book than the Declaration, even with tell-tale references to King George.

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 5, 2017, 08:17 PM

14. can I call them deplorable now?

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 8, 2017, 09:13 AM

15. They're cripplingly stupid,

and treasonous.

Reply to this post