HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » In bed windows open

Sun Aug 6, 2017, 10:18 PM

In bed windows open

And is the skunk smell coming in the windows. About ready to shut windows it is gonna be in 50's tonight I wanted to have fans and fresh air, no AC but these skunks not helping on fresh air.

18 replies, 3949 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to TEB (Original post)

Sun Aug 6, 2017, 10:20 PM

1. That really is annoying.

It happens to me sometimes. It drives my indoor cat nuts.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to NutmegYankee (Reply #1)

Sun Aug 6, 2017, 10:22 PM

2. Yeah it stinks....

least coyotes aren't howling.

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 6, 2017, 10:32 PM

3. You go tell those kids that smoking the wackyweed outside someone's window...

...isn't very nice, I don't care if its skunk or not!

...no seriously, I've never heard of anything like this. Is it like a lingering thing from them being scared of some passing predator or what?

Reply to this post

Response to Shandris (Reply #3)

Sun Aug 6, 2017, 10:40 PM

4. It doesn't smell like weed. It smells like burnt pink erasers

with a tiny bit of pungent garlic added. Lovely.

My dog was sprayed one and she came inside and rolled all over the carpet. It was so bad that every time she got wet for 6 months it was reactivated.

Another time two skunks were mating or fighting under my apt at night. YUK! The next day I had a job interview and when I opened my purse the smell came out. I still got the job though.

Reply to this post

Response to BigmanPigman (Reply #4)

Sun Aug 6, 2017, 10:46 PM

5. Holy crap!

That thing with the dog sounds terrifying, but then you mentioned apartment. I figured these were all in the countryside or something, but no? I'm not sure how you managed to explain away skunk smell in an interview, but I'm duly impressed lol.

I've never encountered a skunk, but I'm pretty sure my battle ferrets would be doing the dog routine for the next six months, as if they didn't have a unique scent of their own to begin with!

Reply to this post

Response to Shandris (Reply #5)

Sun Aug 6, 2017, 10:54 PM

8. This is in the heart of San Diego! It's the 8th largest and most expensive city in the US

but there are skunks, coyotes, and opossums all over the place. I came from living in big cities in the East Coast and couldn't believe it. Fortunately my future boss was too and understood. I felt like I was living in the Beverly Hillbillies when I first moved here.

Reply to this post

Response to BigmanPigman (Reply #4)

Sun Aug 6, 2017, 11:24 PM

13. My sister's dog got sprayed once and the same thing happened

They cleaned him off with gallons of tomato juice (which proved to be nearly worthless). He stopped smelling after a week. Then, about a month after the spraying my bro-in-law, the dog and I went out climbing. It rained, and that revitalized the skunk odor. You'd have thought he had just been sprayed it was so strong. The dog's name was "Bucky", but for the rest of that summer and into the fall he was known as "Skunky".

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 6, 2017, 10:47 PM

6. I'm ok with skunk smell . Wouldn't want it on me or my pets . But if it wafts in the window or

outside for an hour it's ok
looks like a full moon tonite too

Reply to this post

Response to lunasun (Reply #6)

Sun Aug 6, 2017, 10:53 PM

7. Me too ! Better than bleach smell. Better than cat spray.

Reply to this post

Response to Laura PourMeADrink (Reply #7)

Sun Aug 6, 2017, 10:59 PM

9. cat spray no way NOT OK

Bleach is not as bad as some chemical brew cleaners and believe it or not I can not stand Febreeze type cover up sprays. Mostly I would take what ever funk it is covering up than that fake cheap scent smell
Skunk vs Febreeze in the air? Skunk

Reply to this post

Response to lunasun (Reply #9)

Mon Aug 7, 2017, 12:29 AM

14. Me 2 !! You gotta be careful -- they hid Febreeze in lots of products - even garbage bags. nt

Reply to this post

Response to Laura PourMeADrink (Reply #14)

Mon Aug 7, 2017, 12:43 AM

16. Oh don't I know it barf !

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 6, 2017, 10:59 PM

10. Skunk or Trump?

I've heard they smell the same.

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 6, 2017, 11:08 PM

11. Shine a light out the window.

They don't like bright lights.

We put motion activated solar lights, hung way down low, to come on when a skunk comes to my yard.

Haven't smelled a skunk since I hung them up.

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 6, 2017, 11:16 PM

12. Wait a while, it'll go away

Used to wake me up every second or third night in warm weather back in Mass. I've only smelled it a couple of times here in NM. Either desert skunks are more polite or they've all moved closer to the river since the drought has gotten bad.

Reply to this post

Mon Aug 7, 2017, 12:37 AM

15. I moved to a beach city a couple of months ago

into an apartment that is one cul-de-sac away from a wet wildlife preserve. Sooooo - wild animals from the wetlands come right up to my door I learned - the hard way.

I have an outdoor cat whose food was attracting them, though I wasn't aware at the time, but being a new environment for my cat I worried about him at night. I came out late one night to check on him and saw what I thought was a kitten eating his food. It was too late by the time I bent down to see that it was actually a baby skunk. I got spayed directly - not an inch of space between it and my slippers, PJs, and robe bottom.

I won't go into details about the following week(s) trying to rid my apartment of the smell. But, needless to say, I no longer leave any food out at night.

I've since had to back slowly and quietly away from other skunks in the neighborhood at night and have had run ins with squirrels and possums. And the biggest damn raccoons you've ever seen. Not fat big but tall big.

Reply to this post

Response to Control-Z (Reply #15)

Mon Aug 7, 2017, 06:57 AM

18. Wash clothes in baking soda

And then use peroxide 2 bottle baking soda tablespoon dish liquid 2 cups water to wash your self I do not know much but am pro with boog chocolate lab he has been sprayed 6 times 7 years. I use same mixture on my knuckle head , and wal mart sales this skunk shampoo it comes big bottle like skunk away I think 8$ well I wash him with that as second wash.

Reply to this post

Mon Aug 7, 2017, 12:45 AM

17. Reporting back that Skunk smell just started here and too nice a night to close the windows

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread