HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » I study liars. I've never...

Sat Dec 9, 2017, 09:37 AM

I study liars. I've never seen one like President Trump. [Bella DePaulo]

He tells far more lies, and far more cruel ones, than ordinary people do.

Source: WaPo, by Bella DePaulo

I spent the first two decades of my career as a social scientist studying liars and their lies. I thought I had developed a sense of what to expect from them. Then along came President Trump. His lies are both more frequent and more malicious than ordinary people’s.

Nearly two-thirds of Trump’s lies (65 percent) were self-serving. Examples included: “They’re big tax cuts — the biggest cuts in the history of our country, actually” and, about the people who came to see him on a presidential visit to Vietnam last month: “They were really lined up in the streets by the tens of thousands.”

Slightly less than 10 percent of Trump’s lies were kind ones, told to advantage, flatter or protect someone else. An example was his statement on Twitter that “it is a ‘miracle’ how fast the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police were able to find the demented shooter and stop him from even more killing!” In the broadest sense, it is possible to interpret every lie as ultimately self-serving, but I tried to stick to how statements appeared on the surface.

The most stunning way Trump’s lies differed from our participants’, though, was in their cruelty. An astonishing 50 percent of Trump’s lies were hurtful or disparaging. For example, he proclaimed that John Brennan, James Clapper and James Comey, all career intelligence or law enforcement officials, were “political hacks.” He said that “the Sloppy Michael Moore Show on Broadway was a TOTAL BOMB and was forced to close.” Talking about green card applicants, he insisted that other “countries, they don’t put their finest in the lottery system. They put people probably in many cases that they don’t want.” And he claimed that “Ralph Northam, who is running for Governor of Virginia, is fighting for the violent MS-13 killer gangs & sanctuary cities.”

By telling so many lies, and so many that are mean-spirited, Trump is violating some of the most fundamental norms of human social interaction and human decency. Many of the rest of us, in turn, have abandoned a norm of our own — we no longer give Trump the benefit of the doubt that we usually give so readily.

Read it all at: https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/i-study-liars-ive-never-seen-one-like-president-trump/2017/12/07/4e529efe-da3f-11e7-a841-2066faf731ef_story.html

24 replies, 3350 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 24 replies Author Time Post
Reply I study liars. I've never seen one like President Trump. [Bella DePaulo] (Original post)
yallerdawg Dec 2017 OP
NRaleighLiberal Dec 2017 #1
Stuart G Dec 2017 #2
malaise Dec 2017 #3
yallerdawg Dec 2017 #6
J_William_Ryan Dec 2017 #4
ananda Dec 2017 #12
NastyRiffraff Dec 2017 #13
rainin Dec 2017 #23
Captain Stern Dec 2017 #24
highplainsdem Dec 2017 #5
greatauntoftriplets Dec 2017 #7
dlk Dec 2017 #8
yallerdawg Dec 2017 #10
Hortensis Dec 2017 #9
yallerdawg Dec 2017 #11
Hortensis Dec 2017 #14
yallerdawg Dec 2017 #16
smirkymonkey Dec 2017 #21
nikatnyte Dec 2017 #15
Hortensis Dec 2017 #18
TNNurse Dec 2017 #17
wishstar Dec 2017 #19
Javaman Dec 2017 #20
louis c Dec 2017 #22

Response to yallerdawg (Original post)

Sat Dec 9, 2017, 09:38 AM

1. Water is wet department. Of course he lies - endlessly.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Dec 9, 2017, 09:39 AM

2. Yes, Trump and his group, lie much more than normal people.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 9, 2017, 09:43 AM

3. This

By telling so many lies, and so many that are mean-spirited, Trump is violating some of the most fundamental norms of human social interaction and human decency.

Groper Don the Con is a vile, uncouth, low life scumbag. a short-fingered vulgarian and a pathological LIAR. He's also a racist who detests women.
Human decency has never been a part of his make up.

Reply to this post

Response to malaise (Reply #3)

Sat Dec 9, 2017, 10:06 AM

6. He has made a mockery of our political institutions -

that so many distrusted to begin with - the embodiment of Putin's goal to discredit American democracy.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 9, 2017, 09:50 AM

4. The problem is

Trump supporters don’t care.

The problem is Trump’s lies are becoming the new normal.

The problem is that by 2020 most voters won’t notice or care that Trump is a liar – they’ll contrive some ridiculous rationalization to vote for Trump again as they did in 2016.

Reply to this post

Response to J_William_Ryan (Reply #4)

Sat Dec 9, 2017, 11:05 AM

12. I hate the new normal!

We are sitting here talking and tolerating so much!!!!

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 9, 2017, 11:13 AM

13. The Deplorables especially enjoy the malicious lies

The more hateful the better. They love to chant "Lock Her Up" and "Build The Wall" like the most mindless of cultists.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 9, 2017, 12:22 PM

23. My mom is a trump supporter

and she doesn't know. She watches Fox all day and when I've called Trump a liar, she asks me to name one lie he's told. I can easily do that so her response is to ask where I read that -- Fake News?

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 9, 2017, 12:27 PM

24. I agree.

After all, "all politicians lie", right?

The people that support Trump don't care about the truth. I think that they figure all politicians are lying to them, so they just pick the one that tells the lies that they like the most.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 9, 2017, 09:53 AM

5. K&R

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 9, 2017, 10:18 AM

7. No shit!

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 9, 2017, 10:42 AM

8. Trump Radiates Extreme Dysfunction

Reply to this post

Response to dlk (Reply #8)

Sat Dec 9, 2017, 10:46 AM

10. We noticed that years ago.

Trump supporters are irredeemable ignorant assholes.

None of this is a secret.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 9, 2017, 10:46 AM

9. Personality disorders are actually common, and lying common

to them. I don't understand why she's so unfamiliar with the combination of malice with lying.

Perhaps her studies selected against people with identifiable traits of personality disorder?

Reply to this post

Response to Hortensis (Reply #9)

Sat Dec 9, 2017, 10:49 AM

11. She's just comparing it to the results of her studies.

She is noting that the jackass in the White House is an aberration.

Reply to this post

Response to yallerdawg (Reply #11)

Sat Dec 9, 2017, 11:13 AM

14. Personality disorders are common aberrations,

though. I mean, really common.

Over time we've all known a number of people who'd be clinically diagnosed and known far more with strong traits. But just thought they were weird, major assholes, or dangerously malicious. "I don't know, but there's something really wrong with him." They get hired, cause trouble, and are fired. If they're clever and charismatic, as some are, though, someone else may be fired instead.

So what world is she working in that she doesn't run into at least a normal share? OR, are they selected out? Which would be strange in itself as some of the manipulative personality disorders have some really world-class liars.

Reply to this post

Response to Hortensis (Reply #14)

Sat Dec 9, 2017, 11:31 AM

16. You want to argue the Dotard is just a plain old liar? Refer me to your published article, please.

Bella DePaulo is a social scientist who has published extensively on the psychology of lying. Her most recent book is "Alone: The Badass Psychology of People Who Like Being Alone."

"I spent the first two decades of my career as a social scientist studying liars and their lies."

My interest is in the lying and lie-detecting that goes on in ordinary social life, when people have no polygraphs, brain scans, or any other bells or whistles to help them figure out what is really going on. I have studied lying for more than three decades, and published dozens of papers and chapters and a few books. My research and writing address questions such as: How often do people lie? To whom do they tell their lies? Can people tell when others are lying? and How do ordinary people become extraordinary liars? I have also written about moral issues in my chapter, “The many faces of lies,” in the book, The Social Psychology of Good and Evil. The chapter is also available in the book, The Hows and Whys of Lies.

I’ve written about deception for the opinion page for the New York Times and for books about popular television shows such as Dexter and House. I’ve also appeared on various national television and radio shows to talk about the psychology of lying. My deception research has been described in many newspapers and magazines. All that is detailed on the other sections of this DECEPTION page (see the box on the left).

http://www.belladepaulo.com/deception-research-and-writing/

Reply to this post

Response to yallerdawg (Reply #16)

Sat Dec 9, 2017, 12:13 PM

21. Thanks for the book suggestion!

I just bought her book "Alone" on Amazon. Looking forward to reading it.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 9, 2017, 11:19 AM

15. There is an upside to this, however

Because Trump lies constantly, it becomes quickly obvious that you simply need to reverse whatever he says to arrive at the truth. When he claims there was "no collusion" with Russia by himself or any of his family, you know, of course, that there was beyond a doubt (and that he knows it). When he praises Roy Moore, you know that he really understands that Moore is a devious slimeball just like himself. You don't need to think too hard whether something he says is a lie. If it flatters him, reflects well on him, helps him achieve his goal of destroying the government and fattening his own wallet, then it is a 100% lie.

Reply to this post

Response to nikatnyte (Reply #15)

Sat Dec 9, 2017, 11:47 AM

18. Same technique as for Repubs talking about Democrats.

Just substitute Republican for Democrat, and 90% of the time their lies suddenly become truths.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 9, 2017, 11:39 AM

17. Any time he uses the phrase "Believe me" and "many people are... (agreeing with him about anything)"

HE IS LYING THROUGH HIS TEETH.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 9, 2017, 11:55 AM

19. She's being generous to only describe 65% of his lies as self-serving

while I would describe 95% of his lies as self-serving intended to either defend or elevate himself or tear down others in order to enhance his image and standing

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 9, 2017, 12:03 PM

20. "Trump is violating some of the most fundamental norms of human social interaction..."

he is pathological in his lies.

I have long believed that tRump has Dark Triad syndrome...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_triad

The dark triad is a subject in psychology that focuses on three personality traits: narcissism, Machiavellianism, and psychopathy.[1][2][3][4] Use of the term "dark" implies that people possessing these traits have malevolent qualities.[5][6][7][8]

Research on the dark triad is used in applied psychology, especially within the fields of law enforcement, clinical psychology and business management. People scoring high on these traits are more likely to commit crimes, cause social distress and create severe problems for an organization, especially if they are in leadership positions (for more information, see psychopathy, narcissism, and Machiavellianism in the workplace).

All three dark triad traits are conceptually distinct although empirical evidence shows them to be overlapping. They are associated with a callous-manipulative interpersonal style.[9]

Narcissism is characterized by grandiosity, pride, egotism, and a lack of empathy.[10]
Machiavellianism is characterized by manipulation and exploitation of others, a cynical disregard for morality, and a focus on self-interest and deception.[11]
Psychopathy is characterized by continuing antisocial behavior, impulsivity, selfishness, callousness, and remorselessness.[12]
A factor analysis carried out at the Glasgow Caledonian University found that among the big five personality traits, low agreeableness is the strongest correlate of the dark triad, while neuroticism and a lack of conscientiousness were associated with some of the dark triad members.[11]

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 9, 2017, 12:20 PM

22. Everbody lies

Every human being lies, but it's mostly to protect ourselves. Police Officer: "do you know how fast you were going?" Driver: "I thought I was going the speed limit (knowing full well he was speeding). Wife: "how come you're so late, and how many drinks have you had?" Husband: "I needed to do some extra work with the guys from the office and I we had one drink" (knowing full well it was not business related and there was more than one drink). You get the point.

That's far different than Donald Trump. He lies for the sake of lying in an effort to hurt and humiliate people, both individually and in groups. "I saw 3,000 Muslims celebrating in New Jersey on 9/11." "People say," (fill in any one of a hundred blanks). Trump lies just for the sake of lying. To exaggerate to the point of unbelievability to make himself look better. To lie to hurt an advisory. Sometimes, just to be mean for no apparent reason.

There has been no bigger piece of shit in American history than Donald Trump. Even if he were to resign or be removed from office in 2018, it will take generations to recover from the harm he has caused this country.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread