HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Alaska (Group) » Alaska Legislature fails ...

Thu Jul 11, 2019, 04:17 AM

Alaska Legislature fails to override vetoes that prompt cuts

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — The Alaska Legislature failed Wednesday to override budget vetoes by Gov. Mike Dunleavy that will prompt a massive 41% cut of state funding to the University of Alaska and lay waste to other programs the governor deemed unaffordable.

More than one-third of lawmakers missed the vote — many because of an ongoing dispute about where the Legislature should have met for the special session.

Lawmakers needed 45 votes — a three-fourths majority of the 60 members of the state Senate and House — to override the vetoes by Dunleavy, a Republican who took office in December.

The effort fell short with a 37-1 vote in Juneau. Only Rep. Tammie Wilson, a North Pole Republican, voted not to override.

Read more: https://www.news-journal.com/ap/national/alaska-legislature-fails-to-override-vetoes-that-prompt-cuts/article_192f722b-d35b-5bff-b9c7-e4f749647456.html
(Longview News-Journal)

2 replies, 933 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Alaska Legislature fails to override vetoes that prompt cuts (Original post)
TexasTowelie Jul 2019 OP
mahina Jul 2019 #1
ROB-ROX Jul 2019 #2

Response to TexasTowelie (Original post)

Thu Jul 11, 2019, 04:31 AM

1. I am so sorry to read this.

It’s a big self inflicted injury, and not needed. Short term savings for large long term cost.

Crap.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to TexasTowelie (Original post)

Thu Jul 11, 2019, 06:11 PM

2. THIS BACKWARD STATE IS RETARDED

This is another example of the GOP doing the damnedest to screw the public. I am so glad this is NOT my state. These people just require some federal welfare to help them be a better place to live. I am glad they are to far away to make a difference with anything. This summer the bastards will roast for their sins......

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread