HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Alaska (Group) » Herd immunity 'not really...

Thu May 7, 2020, 04:27 AM

Herd immunity 'not really a viable strategy' in Alaska's COVID-19 fight, physicians say

PALMER ó Last week, a Mat-Su physician told reporters that healthy people need to expose themselves to COVID-19 so most of the population can develop so-called herd immunity.

Herd immunity comes when a population develops immunity to an infectious disease through exposure and vaccination. Itís a controversial strategy touted by some to combat COVID-19 as an alternative to lockdowns ravaging economies.

Many researchers say without a vaccine, herd immunity is effective only if thereís very high level of population immunity that lasts a long time and against a virus that doesnít mutate ó conditions that donít exist at this point in the coronavirus pandemic.

Wasilla physician Dr. Wade Erickson, a presenter at a Matanuska-Susitna Borough news media briefing last Wednesday, urged continued social distancing and mask wearing but said safely reopening the economy is key to acquiring immunity.

Read more: https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2020/05/06/herd-immunity-not-really-a-viable-strategy-in-alaskas-covid-19-fight-physicians-say/
(Anchorage Daily News)

3 replies, 610 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Herd immunity 'not really a viable strategy' in Alaska's COVID-19 fight, physicians say (Original post)
TexasTowelie May 2020 OP
mr_lebowski May 2020 #1
TexasTowelie May 2020 #2
bearsfootball516 May 2020 #3

Response to TexasTowelie (Original post)

Thu May 7, 2020, 04:37 AM

1. Someone explain to me how this works?

"safely reopening the economy is key to acquiring immunity"

Kinda sounds like bullshit to me.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to mr_lebowski (Reply #1)

Thu May 7, 2020, 04:40 AM

2. That's because it is bullshit.

However, I'll give you some points for being so perceptive.

Reply to this post

Response to mr_lebowski (Reply #1)

Thu May 7, 2020, 07:56 AM

3. In "theory"

You open the economy up and allow those who are young and healthy to work. They get COVID19, get over it, acquire immunity and the virus dies out. Then, you open things back up to the elderly and high-risk now that the virus is gone.

The problem is, there are TONS of elderly and high-risk people who also live with those who are young and healthy. There's no way to separate the young and healthy from the elderly and high-risk. The "theory" is complete garbage.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread