HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Alaska (Group) » Tea Party Goes After Sena...

Sun Jul 8, 2012, 02:15 PM

Tea Party Goes After Senate's Coalition

http://www.adn.com/2012/07/07/2535022/tea-party-goes-after-senates-coalition.html

As the big field of Republican challengers jostles to get noticed against incumbent state senators, a common target has been emerging for many of them: the bipartisan coalition that has governed the Alaska Senate.

"It's partially why I'm running," said Mike Dunleavy, a tea-party backed Republican from Wasilla challenging Sen. Linda Menard, a first-term Republican and a member of the coalition. "I don't believe the coalition represents the constituents. I think it represents itself."

<snip>

In Anchorage, where McGuire is facing Republican challenger Landfield, the veteran incumbent said it was "silly" to run against the coalition.

"We have had coalitions governing our state government throughout state history," McGuire said. "That's part of what makes Alaska a unique and wonderful place, that we do work together, urban and rural, people of all genders, people of all color. You have to, because we're a small state."

Whatever happens on the national level, we MUST keep our bipartisan coalition. I can't even imagine what it would be like here if these Tea Party idiots take over. Where the hell did they come from anyway? This whole "you're dead to us if you're willing to compromise" attitude is so un-Alaskan.

2 replies, 2396 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Tea Party Goes After Senate's Coalition (Original post)
Blue_In_AK Jul 2012 OP
Ken Burch Jul 2012 #1
Kingofalldems Sep 2012 #2

Response to Blue_In_AK (Original post)

Sun Jul 15, 2012, 10:02 PM

1. Any chance we could swing one or two current "R" seats our way somewhere?

Also...how about actually trying to "flip the House"...we'd only need six more seats for a majority there(or five if they could flatter Cathy Munoz into being the 21st vote in a coalition.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Blue_In_AK (Original post)

Reply to this thread