HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Alaska (Group) » Alaska lawmakers shut dow...

Wed Sep 7, 2016, 01:23 AM

Alaska lawmakers shut down regional offices on Friday afternoons to save money

The Alaska Legislature plans to save money by closing its regional information offices on Friday afternoons except during the legislative session.

The joint House-Senate Legislative Council, the committee that handles the Legislature's internal business and budgets, made the decision at a Thursday meeting in Anchorage. The regional legislative information offices were closed Friday afternoon.

Lawmakers were responding to a reduced legislative budget that they passed earlier this year. The office closures will save about $300,000.

"It's hard, because our goal is to make sure we're available to the public," Kodiak Republican Sen. Gary Stevens, who chairs the Legislative Council, said in a phone interview. "But we had a quarter of a million to take out of that line item of the budget it made sense."

http://www.adn.com/politics/2016/09/02/alaska-lawmakers-shut-down-regional-offices-on-friday-afternoons-to-save-money/
(short article)

2 replies, 896 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Alaska lawmakers shut down regional offices on Friday afternoons to save money (Original post)
TexasTowelie Sep 2016 OP
napi21 Sep 2016 #1
TexasTowelie Sep 2016 #2

Response to TexasTowelie (Original post)

Wed Sep 7, 2016, 01:36 AM

1. WHY is Ak. hunting for money? I was under the impression that because of the oil,

they were doing very well. They DO give each resident a check every year don't they? Or is some stupid Pub cutting taxes on their wealthy buds up there too?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to napi21 (Reply #1)

Wed Sep 7, 2016, 01:46 AM

2. Actually they had to make some substantial cutbacks due to the collapse of oil prices.

They also cut the maximum check from the Permanent fund to $1,000 when it was over $2,000 a couple years ago. If I remember correctly there credit rating was cut earlier in the year. They are not in good financial shape, I've posted several other articles in the Alaska Group that have more details of their financial crisis.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread