HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Sen. Bob Corker, Tennesse...

Tue Sep 26, 2017, 11:04 PM

Sen. Bob Corker, Tennessee Republican, won't seek re-election next year

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by muriel_volestrangler (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: CNN

Sen. Bob Corker, Tennessee Republican, won't seek re-election next year
Lauren Fox
By Lauren Fox, CNN
Updated 9:47 PM ET, Tue September 26, 2017

[quote](CNN)Tennessee Republican Sen. Bob Corker said Tuesday he will retire at the end of 2018.

"After much thought, consideration and family discussion over the past year, Elizabeth and I have decided that I will leave the United States Senate when my term expires at the end of 2018," Corker said in a released statement.

Corker is the Senate's foreign relations committee chairman and had told CNN earlier this month that he was considering whether to run again.

"When I ran for the Senate in 2006, I told people that I couldn't imagine serving for more than two terms," Corker said in his statement Tuesday. "Understandably, as we have gained influence, that decision has become more difficult. But I have always been drawn to the citizen legislator model, and while I realize it is not for everyone, I believe with the kind of service I provide, it is the right one for me."

Corker, who was at one time among those considered a candidate to be President Donald Trump's secretary of state, had been increasingly critical of the President in recent months.[/quote]

Read more: http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/26/politics/bob-corker-not-seeking-re-election/index.html

3 replies, 1397 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Sen. Bob Corker, Tennessee Republican, won't seek re-election next year (Original post)
Chicago1980 Sep 2017 OP
OnDoutside Sep 2017 #1
SergeStorms Sep 2017 #2
muriel_volestrangler Sep 2017 #3

Response to Chicago1980 (Original post)

Wed Sep 27, 2017, 01:27 AM

1. It will be interesting to see if he starts going rogue....

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Sep 27, 2017, 02:06 AM

2. Who will step up from the GOP.....

to take his place? Will it be another hard right, racist maniac from the Steve Bannon camp, or a real Republican with solid conservative Republican "values". Either way, I hope Tennessee Democrats can mount a viable challenge for the seat, and perhaps turn the Senate a little more "Blue" than it is now.

Wed Sep 27, 2017, 03:45 AM

3. Locking - duplicate thread

of https://www.democraticunderground.com/10141875322 . Please continue discussion there. Thanks.