HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Trump picked Brett Kavana...

Tue Jul 10, 2018, 06:40 PM

Trump picked Brett Kavanaugh as 'barrier' to Russia inquiry - Schumer

Source: The Guardian

Senator Chuck Schumer said Kavanaugh would shield Trump should the Mueller investigation end up before the supreme court

The Senate minority leader, Chuck Schumer, has a theory about why Donald Trump settled on Judge Brett Kavanaugh. On Tuesday he said that Trump is “worried” about an investigation over Russian collusion in the 2016 election and believes Kavanaugh would serve as a “barrier” should the inquiry end up before the supreme court.

As a brutal confirmation battle over Justice Anthony Kennedy’s replacement begins, Schumer said Kavanaugh should expect to face tough questions over his past writings that argue a sitting presidents should be exempt from lawsuits and criminal investigations.

“Why did he stick with Kavanaugh?” Schumer said at a press conference outside the supreme court on Tuesday. “Because he’s worried that Mr Mueller will go to the court and ask that the president be subpoenaed and ask to do other things necessary to move the investigation forward and President Trump knows that Kavanaugh will be a barrier to preventing that investigation from going there.”

Read more: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/jul/10/trump-supreme-court-pick-brett-kavanaugh-barrier-russia-inquiry

I for one am getting pretty sick and tired having the Federalist Society attack "We the People"..................for the last thirty plus years .........................and getting people put on the bench................that hates the Constitution basically................and they hate the fourteenth amendment......................

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/07/the-struggle-over-the-meaning-of-the-14th-amendment-continues/564722/

17 replies, 1672 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to turbinetree (Original post)

Tue Jul 10, 2018, 06:41 PM

1. Most people here seen this coming.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Jul 10, 2018, 06:45 PM

2. Sure, put a monster in the Supreme Court to protect the pervert in the White House and his sins.

Force the U.S. American people to live with the law handed back to us in knots for the rest of our lives, so you can be spared meeting the just consequences of your treachery, your Sleazy Lardship.

Reply to this post

Tue Jul 10, 2018, 06:51 PM

3. Chuck Schumer, has a theory

JESUS.. NO SHIT !!!!!!!!

Reply to this post

Response to pangaia (Reply #3)

Tue Jul 10, 2018, 07:46 PM

6. "Chuck Schumer, has a theory."

It's one reason WHY I'm enjoying Wimbledon instead of looking at too much news lately.

So Schumer has a theory, huh? He came up with that all by himself did he?

Reply to this post

Response to LenaBaby61 (Reply #6)

Tue Jul 10, 2018, 10:33 PM

7. Yes he did. I don't know how, but he did.

Glad he's my senator... yup.

Reply to this post

Tue Jul 10, 2018, 07:05 PM

4. Roberts is not a sure bet to go along w/ the "above the law" theory. n/t

Reply to this post

Response to jaysunb (Reply #4)

Wed Jul 11, 2018, 02:40 PM

11. True, but he's also not a guaranteed vote against the traitor either.

Remember, he went looking to invalidate previous campaign finance laws and did it with Citizens United. who knows if he is or isn't a traitor to the country like the other 4 repug SCOTUS. I'd sure hate for our constitution to be hanging from that unreliable thread.

Reply to this post

Response to lark (Reply #11)

Wed Jul 11, 2018, 04:45 PM

12. I agree, but would posit, that as

Chief Justice, he will understand that his legacy is much different from the others. The " Roberts Court" will always be the descriptive.

Just saying.

Reply to this post

Response to jaysunb (Reply #12)

Thu Jul 12, 2018, 09:27 AM

16. I hope you are right.

i have a feeling our democracy will rest on his shoulders, will he take the way his pals and 45 push him, or will he stand up for the law and our country and the constitution?

Reply to this post

Tue Jul 10, 2018, 07:25 PM

5. Is this the first time on record Trump has been known to employ a prophylactic ahead of time?

Kondom Kavanaugh.

Reply to this post

Response to forgotmylogin (Reply #5)

Tue Jul 10, 2018, 10:35 PM

8. Oh that is good. Please make it an OP.

Pretty please...

Kondom Kavanaugh

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 11, 2018, 12:04 PM

9. Mueller could slap Trump with a subpoena while the Court is 4-4

I don't think Kavanaugh would be allowed to sit in on a case which is in progress when he is seated, especially one where he has already expressed his opinion about its outcome without even hearing arguments to the contrary.

Of course, a judge recusing him or her self from a case is an ethical decision, and we all know how the Trump administration feels about ethics--they don't even know how to spell the word.

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 11, 2018, 01:26 PM

10. Don't worry, Chuck will ask a few perfunctory sound-bite questions; then fade into the background.

Please prove me wrong, Charles.

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 11, 2018, 04:53 PM

13. Schumer's at his best in SC hearings. Like his plan of attack.

According to Axios he's also going to target pre-existing conditions in ACA.

Reply to this post

Thu Jul 12, 2018, 12:13 AM

14. I disagree with Schumer

My first prediction is Kavanaugh would recuse himself from a case involving the person who nominated him. My second prediction is that trump will throw a temper tantrum if my first one is correct.

Reply to this post

Thu Jul 12, 2018, 03:11 AM

15. Federalist Society chapters at law schools are populated by creepy incel types.

Imagine a group of dateless Stephen Millers. These creeps grow up to populate our courts, thanks to the GOP. The GOP likes to mine their ranks for judges because they know these creeps can be trusted to never let human compassion affect their rulings.

That is who Kavanaugh is.

Reply to this post

Thu Jul 19, 2018, 11:59 AM

17. I disagree. Brett Kavanaugh is being nominated as a reward to Ken Starr for a job well done. (eom)

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread