HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » TSA screeners win immunit...

Wed Jul 11, 2018, 01:07 PM

TSA screeners win immunity from flier abuse claims: U.S. appeals court

Source: Reuters

Fliers may have a tough time recovering damages for invasive screenings at U.S. airport security checkpoints, after a federal appeals court on Wednesday said screeners are immune from claims under a federal law governing assaults, false arrests and other abuses.

In a 2-1 vote, the 3rd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Philadelphia said Transportation Security Administration (TSA) screeners are shielded by government sovereign immunity from liability under the Federal Tort Claims Act because they do not function as “investigative or law enforcement officers.”

The majority said it was “sympathetic” to concerns that its decision would leave fliers with “very limited legal redress” for alleged mistreatment by aggressive or overzealous screeners, which add to the ordinary stresses of air travel.

“For most people, TSA screenings are an unavoidable feature of flying,” but it is “squarely in the realm” of Congress to expand liability for abuses, Circuit Judge Cheryl Ann Krause wrote.

Read more: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-tsa-lawsuit/tsa-screeners-win-immunity-from-flier-abuse-claims-u-s-appeals-court-idUSKBN1K125W

8 replies, 1270 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply TSA screeners win immunity from flier abuse claims: U.S. appeals court (Original post)
left-of-center2012 Jul 2018 OP
bucolic_frolic Jul 2018 #1
Name removed Jul 2018 #2
sandensea Jul 2018 #5
Lonestarblue Jul 2018 #3
noneof_theabove Jul 2018 #4
ArizonaLib Jul 2018 #7
GeorgeGist Jul 2018 #6
sdfernando Jul 2018 #8

Response to left-of-center2012 (Original post)

Wed Jul 11, 2018, 01:23 PM

1. An invasive screening is not considered an investigation?

Is that judge stupid?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Name removed (Reply #2)

Wed Jul 11, 2018, 01:50 PM

5. That, and steal things from your luggage.

When people wonder why things tend to get stolen from luggage in third world airports (and Miami), this is why.

Airport personnel are first given blanket powers in the name of security, and before long that devolves into outright theft rings.

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 11, 2018, 01:49 PM

3. That judge should have undergone an invasive body search before making a decision.

Anyone who has ever been through a crotch search—right out in public!—by a TSA person might think differently. I had this happen, and I’m a member of Global Entry, so TSA already has my photo and my fingerprints on file, and I’ve passed some kind of security clearance. That isn’t enough?

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 11, 2018, 01:49 PM

4. another goose stop...

to the fascist destruction of america.

I'm about 128 mile from any wall and it is looking more like I will be on the other side before the final goose step hits the ground.

Reply to this post

Response to noneof_theabove (Reply #4)

Wed Jul 11, 2018, 01:56 PM

7. Yes - Exactly

Searches are a 'Feature' of flying? She sounds like an idiot. Only someone who knows they are full of it would feel they had to sell that kind of corruption.

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 11, 2018, 01:55 PM

6. Little steps ...

to Fascism™.

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 11, 2018, 01:58 PM

8. OMG! Stupid Stupid Stupid!

...and like our current congress will do anything about this.

We need Dems to take the House & Senate!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread