HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Captain of deadly Missour...

Thu Nov 8, 2018, 07:10 PM

Captain of deadly Missouri duck boat charged in federal court

Source: Reuters

U.S. NOVEMBER 8, 2018 / 1:44 PM / UPDATED 31 MINUTES AGO

(Reuters) - The captain of the World War Two-style tourist “duck boat” that sank on a Missouri lake during a storm in July, killing 17 people, was charged on Thursday with misconduct, negligence and inattention to duty in an indictment by a federal grand jury, prosecutors said.

Kenneth Scott McKee, 51, of Verona, Missouri, was charged in a 17-count indictment, one count for each of the passengers who died when the vessel sank on July 19.

McKee was captain of the vessel operated by Ripley Entertainment Inc, which ran duck boat tours in Branson, Missouri, and on nearby Lake Taneycomo and Table Rock Lake, where the incident occurred. He could face a prison sentence of up to 10 years for each of the 17 counts.

There were 31 passengers aboard the duck boat on Table Rock Lake when hurricane-strength winds churned up the water and sank the craft, causing one of the deadliest U.S. tourist tragedies in recent years.

-snip-

Read more: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-missouri-boat/captain-of-deadly-missouri-duck-boat-charged-in-federal-court-idUSKCN1ND2SJ

16 replies, 930 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to Eugene (Original post)

Thu Nov 8, 2018, 07:43 PM

1. Tragedy. Regulation, regulation, regulation.

General Slocum disaster, June 15, 1904, New York over 1,000 passengers perished.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PS_General_Slocum

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Nov 8, 2018, 08:15 PM

2. Captain? Barely a boat driver but has the legal responsibility.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 8, 2018, 08:57 PM

3. Been on these things in the Wisconsin dells

Ship Capt not so much.
More a tour guide college kid with the keys

Reply to this post

Response to dembotoz (Reply #3)

Thu Nov 8, 2018, 11:00 PM

4. 51 year old college kid?

The only person that has used the word "ship" was using your keyboard. The person in charge of a boat is also called a captain, just like the article did.

Reply to this post

Response to LakeSuperiorView (Reply #4)

Fri Nov 9, 2018, 01:29 AM

5. And we have seniors serving up fries at McDonald's

The dells does not hire retired admirals to run their boats. Doubt this other place did either

Reply to this post

Response to dembotoz (Reply #5)

Fri Nov 9, 2018, 02:39 AM

6. Huh? What does MacDonald's or the Dells have anything to do with this case?

The accident did not occur in the Dells, the person in charge of the boat was 51, not a college student and his title as the person in charge of the boat is captain. There were no ships involved. Regardless of their expertise, the person in charge of the boat is the captain, even if that does not meet your approval.

Reply to this post

Response to LakeSuperiorView (Reply #6)

Fri Nov 9, 2018, 05:00 AM

7. Thank you

I thought it was just me.

Reply to this post

Response to LakeSuperiorView (Reply #6)

Fri Nov 9, 2018, 05:49 AM

8. Just related my experience ..it is a summer job In the Dells

Not some ultimate professional experience.
To insist it is a professional experience is laughable.
It's the damn duck boat ride

Reply to this post

Response to dembotoz (Reply #8)

Fri Nov 9, 2018, 07:29 AM

10. Again, why you think your experience in the Dells has any relevance escapes me.

The incident occurred 500 miles away at Table Rock Lake. The boat was modified into a "stretch duck", so it carried many more people. I think I remember there was some question over the qualifications of the owner to do the modifications. In any case, this company has nothing to do with the Duck Boats in the Dells.

Who ever claimed it was professional? You scoffed at "ship captain" and I pointed out that only you were saying ship. I also pointed out that the person in charge of the boat is the captain, regardless of experience. And he was 51, not a college student, as you seem to think is the only thing possible, apparently because you once saw a Duck Boat 500 miles away.

Reply to this post

Response to LakeSuperiorView (Reply #10)

Fri Nov 9, 2018, 08:04 AM

11. I am sorry family owned vacation spot in dells for like 40 years

Been on the ducks more times than u can count.

It's a summer job..the driver does his speil about how the tips he gets goes for tuition...
To babble about professionalism is ludicrous.

Reply to this post

Response to dembotoz (Reply #11)

Fri Nov 9, 2018, 08:21 AM

12. I've rode the Duck Boats in the Dells too, but I don't presume that is the same as Table Rock Lake.

I agree, it is ludicrous that you are babbling about professionalism. You are the only one hung up on it. For at least the third time, the title of the person in charge of the boat is captain. It doesn't mean anything other than they are in charge. You are seemingly stuck on the idea that captain means something else. The person in charge of a row boat is the captain. Put Donald tRump in charge of a boat and he is the captain.

I seriously doubt you have ridden Duck Boats more times than I can count, even if you had that kind of money, wasting it on Duck Boat rides would be silly and obsessive. I doubt many 51 year olds have a spiel about tuition from tips...

Reply to this post

Response to LakeSuperiorView (Reply #12)

Fri Nov 9, 2018, 10:51 AM

13. it is you who seems enthralled with the idea that a duck boat is similar to the qe2

Reply to this post

Response to dembotoz (Reply #13)

Fri Nov 9, 2018, 11:07 AM

14. No one except you is rambling about professionalism.

No one except you is comparing a Duck Boat to a ship.

Captain is the title assigned to the person in charge of the boat, regardless of their skills or what you think of them. It doesn't matter if it is the snot nosed college students that you have encountered in totally unrelated rides in the Dells or the 51 year old man that this story is about. They were the captains of the boats they were in charge of. You seem to think that is ridiculous, but they are the captain of the boat. That is the definition. Sorry that you don't approve, but your opinion only matters on a boat that you are operating. Then you can call yourself whatever you wish.

Reply to this post

Response to LakeSuperiorView (Reply #14)

Fri Nov 9, 2018, 11:12 AM

15. this is beyound stupid...bye

Reply to this post

Response to dembotoz (Reply #15)

Fri Nov 9, 2018, 11:27 AM

16. It was stupid a long time ago, yet you kept doubling down on your first post.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 9, 2018, 07:01 AM

9. saddest thing was to see all the life jackets in the racks when they pulled out the duckboat.

people please remember, if you're ever in that situation put on the life jackets, no matter what they say!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread