HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Education unions oppose c...

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 08:10 PM

Education unions oppose calls to arm teachers

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by DonViejo (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: Associated Press

Terry Spencer, Associated Press
Updated 5:16 pm CST, Monday, February 11, 2019

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) ó The nation's two largest education unions reiterated their opposition to arming teachers as a response to school shootings Monday, saying more guns on campuses will make them less safe.

The American Federation of Teachers and the National Education Association joined with Everytown for Gun Safety to oppose proposals in Florida and elsewhere to arm teachers and staff members in response to the Marjory Stoneman High School massacre, which left 17 dead. The anniversary of the mass shooting is Thursday.

The Florida Legislature is considering a recommendation by the state commission that investigated the shooting to allow school districts to arm volunteer teachers who undergo background checks and training. The commission concluded that relying solely on law enforcement is insufficient because mass shootings are usually over in one to three minutes and police officers likely won't arrive in time.

But the unions and Everytown say they oppose such measures for several reasons, including the possibility of students stealing teachers' guns and responding officers confusing an armed teacher for the shooter. They said a study of New York City police officers showed they hit their target about one time in five shots during firefights, and teachers would be even worse. Those errant bullets would further endanger students.

Read more: https://www.chron.com/news/education/article/Education-unions-oppose-calls-to-arm-teachers-13608101.php

4 replies, 346 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Education unions oppose calls to arm teachers (Original post)
Judi Lynn Feb 11 OP
Cold War Spook Feb 11 #1
apcalc Feb 11 #2
BigmanPigman Feb 11 #3
DonViejo Feb 12 #4

Response to Judi Lynn (Original post)

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 08:29 PM

1. Dumb idea.

Not that I would want teachers to be armed, but I would like to read exactly how many hours of training they would receive and what would the training consist of. When I went for a class to get my CPW in Broward County, it was an hour class and we didn't even have to take a test, written or shooting.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 08:49 PM

2. Of course they oppose it.

Teachers arenít dumbasses.

Mon Feb 11, 2019, 11:15 PM

3. School districts are supposed to pay for this with what?

Has anyone noticed all the teachers' strikes? They are already in debt and can't pay a decent salary, training, computers or supplies do they really think teachers and parents are going to support this wasteful and ridiculous crap?

Tue Feb 12, 2019, 09:32 AM

4. Locking...

This is a reiteration of a previously announced position on this issue, not LBN.