HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Tesla finally launches $3...

Thu Feb 28, 2019, 08:33 PM

Tesla finally launches $35,000 Model 3, and moves all sales online

Source: Marketwatch

Tesla Inc. may have made good on its long-standing promise to offer a Model 3 for $35,000, but its stock fell late Thursday as Chief Executive Officer Elon Musk said the Silicon Valley car maker is likely to report a loss in the first quarter.

Tesla said Thursday its cheaper Model 3 version will have a shorter driving range and new interior options, and its website shows it available in the U.S. in as little as two weeks. After tax credits and gas savings, Tesla says the car costs about $24,450.

The lower price and the new online-only ordering system also announced Thursday “should substantially widen the Model 3’s appeal,” said Karl Brauer, an analyst with Kelley Blue Book.

“Tesla’s biggest challenge going forward will be meeting production volumes and demand while maintaining timely service for a rapidly-expanding customer fleet,” he said. “If Tesla can do this, it will have successfully transitioned from a boutique auto maker with a niche audience to a mainstream brand serving mainstream consumers.”

Read more: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/tesla-launches-35000-shorter-range-model-3-2019-02-28

This should attract some attention.

19 replies, 2059 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 19 replies Author Time Post
Reply Tesla finally launches $35,000 Model 3, and moves all sales online (Original post)
Zorro Feb 2019 OP
still_one Feb 2019 #1
Zorro Feb 2019 #2
still_one Feb 2019 #4
oldsoftie Feb 2019 #15
hatrack Feb 2019 #16
still_one Mar 2019 #18
ffr Feb 2019 #3
still_one Feb 2019 #7
brush Feb 2019 #5
Zorro Feb 2019 #6
brush Feb 2019 #9
llmart Feb 2019 #8
brush Feb 2019 #11
llmart Feb 2019 #12
ffr Feb 2019 #10
Atticus Feb 2019 #13
JCMach1 Mar 2019 #19
mac2766 Feb 2019 #14
Tikki Feb 2019 #17

Response to Zorro (Original post)

Thu Feb 28, 2019, 08:38 PM

1. It was bait and switch. Those that buy that 35K Tesla now won't realize the 7500 dollar federal tax

credit. They sod the maximum Tesla 3s, and it expired

A lot of those folks that put the 1K down, thought they were going to get the 35K car. Two years latter, the 35K car is now available.

So Tesla used those 1K deposits to help finance their production operation. Sure they can ask for a refund of their 1K, and they could've that anytime, and I suspect a good number will, because they were thinking they could get the 7500K credit which is now not available on the Tesla 3

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to still_one (Reply #1)

Thu Feb 28, 2019, 08:43 PM

2. They're still eligible for a $3750 tax credit until July

California also gives a $2500 rebate, and I think a few other states do something similar.

Reply to this post

Response to Zorro (Reply #2)

Thu Feb 28, 2019, 09:12 PM

4. If you live in California. I received 1500 from the Ca. State and 7500 fed credit for a Honda PHEV,

I can get around 50 miles pure electric, before it goes into hybrid mode, and I am not limited by dependence on a charging station, if traveling long distance, where one needs to find one on the Tesla 3 if you plan on traveling over 250 miles.

and you are right a few other states also offer cash rebates

Problem is, the infrastructure is still not their for long distances. I suspect it will get there as time goes on, but I can tell, the charging rates have also gone up in price, so people buying them aren't necessarily doing it to save money, because they really aren't now, at least with gas prices where they are now. I suspect that will change also when the gas prices start going back up in price.

The Tesla's use DC Fast charging, and to charge a depleted battery, takes about 15 to 30 minutes. That is ok if there are available car charging ports, but as more and more Tesla's hit the road, and they have here in California, those charging bays fill up, and I have seen lines at Harris ranch, midway between SF and LA. I believe they have improved or in the process of improving the charging times so cuts the time in half and better.

All I am saying is they are producing cars faster than the infrastructure is ready to handle it. There is no doubt that will come though

Reply to this post

Response to still_one (Reply #4)

Thu Feb 28, 2019, 11:05 PM

15. I agree. Better hybrid tech is the way to go. People dont want to worry about getting stuck

Even if its only a small gas engine, it still gives people piece of mind

Reply to this post

Response to still_one (Reply #4)

Thu Feb 28, 2019, 11:07 PM

16. Honda Clarity, I'm assuming?

Car shopping at the moment, but sadly, no state credit where I live.

Reply to this post

Response to hatrack (Reply #16)

Fri Mar 1, 2019, 04:26 AM

18. The clarity comes in 3 versions. The plug-in hybrid version, which you can buy, and get a 7500 tax

credit from the feds if you pay enough taxes, and gets a bout 350 to 400 miles range, an all electric, which is lease only and gets about 90 mile range, and a fuel cell model which is lease only. Not sure about the range on that one.

The Clarity PHEV is very much like the Volt, if you are familiar with that. All electric for about 50 miles before hybrid version with ICE kicks in.

The Clarity PHEV has been out in the U.S. since 2018.

I am hesitant about recommending all electric or plug-in hybrids, not only because everyone's driving style and situation is different, and people need to do their own due diligence, test driving, etc., but because they are still relatively new to the market. For instance, Chevrolet last year announced they were dropping the Volt, and while the Volt will still be maintained by them, one can assume because of that decision, the resale value on Volts will go down rapidly verses other models that are still being produced.

Both Ford and GM have also announced they are focusing their future on all electric, truck and SUVs, and pretty much focusing the car lines to the Japanese, Koreans, and Europeans. Of they can always reverse that decision, but it is something to keep in mind, because it implies that things are very dynamic.

It is still a safer and less expensive investment to go with an ICE or hybrid car like Toyota's Prius, and various other models from Toyota, Honda, Ford, Hyundai, etc. that have technologies that have been around longer, because things are still in transition.

For an all electric vehicle, there is no question, Tesla has the most road time out there, but people have been paying a premium price for them, and the Model 3 is the first one that is more in a standard price.

One needs to keep in mind that the warranty for these all electric vehicles on the battery is usually setup in a way to guarantee the battery will retain its capacity by a certain percentage, after a certain amount of time, or it will be replaced. After that period has passed though, if the battery goes out, currently that could be quite expensive to replace, though they are working on technology to
make those batteries cheaper, and last longer.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 28, 2019, 08:51 PM

3. With incentives, that's really hard to pass up.

Reply to this post

Response to ffr (Reply #3)

Thu Feb 28, 2019, 09:26 PM

7. That depends. If someone rents an apartment, it is likely they won't have the flexibililty of a

charging station. If they live in a House, if they want anything other than trickle charging, they will need to pay extra to install a level 2 or DC Fast charge station. Also, if they plan to travel long distances > 250 miles, they will need to plan ahead in there trips where they can locate charging stations along the way, because the worst thing would be stranded because of a depleted charge.

Also, when the weather turns colder the electric range is not as good as in warmer temperatures

In other words, people need to analyze if an all electric vehicle fits their purpose. The Federal Tax Credit may or may not help you, depending on you tax situation. In other words, it works only if you owe enough taxes. Not everyone can take advantage of that.

Also, one needs to verify that the tax credit is still available if they are depending on it

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 28, 2019, 09:13 PM

5. For all the hype it sure looks ordinary.

Reply to this post

Response to brush (Reply #5)

Thu Feb 28, 2019, 09:16 PM

6. Looks aren't everything

Reply to this post

Response to Zorro (Reply #6)

Thu Feb 28, 2019, 09:29 PM

9. They're something though. A jumble of dated design cliches...

won't be received as enthusiastically as the much admired previous models. Many by for looks as well as performance and environmental concerns.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 28, 2019, 09:28 PM

8. You don't buy a Tesla for the looks.

My son bought one several years ago. His main reason? The environment and not enabling the oil industry.

Reply to this post

Response to llmart (Reply #8)

Thu Feb 28, 2019, 09:35 PM

11. Many want style along with their environmental concerns.

The previous models had that. The Model 3 looks like just another lozenge-shaped car on the road—nothing distinctive about it.

Reply to this post

Response to brush (Reply #11)

Thu Feb 28, 2019, 09:38 PM

12. At least more people will be able to afford the Model 3 than the one he bought.

Electric cars are becoming more and more popular as are hybrids. That's a good thing.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 28, 2019, 09:33 PM

10. I said the same thing until I drove one. Wow!

Last edited Thu Feb 28, 2019, 10:50 PM - Edit history (2)

These cars are torque monsters. I doubt 95% of the vehicles on the road can match them for blitzing highway get-up-n-go.

Reply to this post

Response to ffr (Reply #10)

Thu Feb 28, 2019, 10:49 PM

13. Totally agree. Love ours. Quiet,clean and QUICK! nt

Reply to this post

Response to ffr (Reply #10)

Fri Mar 1, 2019, 01:44 PM

19. that's pretty much all electrics... Unless you have a petrol sports car, there is no comparison to

ICE vehicles...

Frequently found putting my VOLT into sports mode...

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 28, 2019, 10:49 PM

14. Very good.

Anybody that criticizes Elon Musk must not be witnessing the same transformation of the American perception that I have.

China will be producing over 1,000,000 <<< yes.. million... electric cars this year. If you don't think that Elon Musk had something to do with that, think again.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 28, 2019, 11:37 PM

17. Tesla is everywhere here in my slice of So Cal and will...

be growing exponentially here as gas prices stay high.

Tikki

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread