HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Southern Poverty Law Cent...

Fri Mar 15, 2019, 12:27 AM

Southern Poverty Law Center fires co-founder Morris Dees amid employee uproar

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by Omaha Steve (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: Los Angeles Times

The Southern Poverty Law Center has fired its famed co-founder, Morris Dees, over unspecified misconduct, the nonprofit announced Thursday, a stunning development at an organization that became a bedrock of anti-extremism research and activism under nearly half a century of Dees’ leadership.

While the organization’s leadership did not disclose the reason for Dees’ departure, staff at its headquarters in Montgomery, Ala., were told in an internal email that “although he made unparalleled contributions to our work, no one’s contributions can excuse that person’s inappropriate conduct.”

The Times has also learned that the organization, whose leadership is predominantly white, has been wrestling with complaints of workplace mistreatment of women and people of color. It was not immediately clear whether those issues were connected to the firing of Dees, who is 82.

Also Thursday, employees sent correspondence to management demanding reforms, expressing concerns about the resignation last week of a highly respected black attorney at the organization and criticizing the organization’s work culture.

Read more: https://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-splc-morris-dees-20190314-story.html

10 replies, 1037 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply Southern Poverty Law Center fires co-founder Morris Dees amid employee uproar (Original post)
Lisa0825 Mar 15 OP
The Velveteen Ocelot Mar 15 #1
elleng Mar 15 #2
The Velveteen Ocelot Mar 15 #4
cstanleytech Mar 15 #3
Lisa0825 Mar 15 #6
cstanleytech Mar 15 #7
Lisa0825 Mar 15 #8
cstanleytech Mar 15 #9
Judi Lynn Mar 15 #5
Omaha Steve Mar 15 #10

Response to Lisa0825 (Original post)

Fri Mar 15, 2019, 12:31 AM

1. That's really disappointing.

Morris Dees has always been a hero of mine. I went to a lecture he gave some years ago and I was so impressed with what he and the SPLC have been doing.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to The Velveteen Ocelot (Reply #1)

Fri Mar 15, 2019, 12:39 AM

2. Been contributing to them for years

as Dad did.

e.mail rec'd today:

You may see in the news today that our founder, Morris Dees, is no longer working at the SPLC.

Morris has made incredible contributions to the fight against racial injustice in our country.

But our work is about the cause, not the person. We’re committed to ensuring that our workplace embodies the values we espouse – truth, justice, equity, and inclusion.

When one of our own fails to meet those standards, no matter his or her role in the organization, we take it seriously and must take appropriate action.

Today, we have a wonderful staff, some 350 people in offices spanning five Southern states who are all dedicated to fighting every day for justice and equality. Right now, our work couldn’t be more critical.

The SPLC is in good hands for many years to come. Thank you for being part of our family.

Richard Cohen

Response to elleng (Reply #2)

Fri Mar 15, 2019, 12:41 AM

4. Me, too. Great organization, I just feel bad about Dees,

whatever his transgressions might have been.

Fri Mar 15, 2019, 12:40 AM

3. I believe this was posted already in LBN.

Response to cstanleytech (Reply #3)

Fri Mar 15, 2019, 12:49 AM

6. Oops.. I tried using the DU search function to search his name, and no hits came up.

I'm thinking DU search may need tweaking?

Response to Lisa0825 (Reply #6)

Fri Mar 15, 2019, 12:52 AM

7. It really isn't a DU search as the DU does not have its own search feature rather

it is using Google to do a Google site search and its not 100% reliable.

Response to cstanleytech (Reply #7)

Fri Mar 15, 2019, 12:57 AM

8. I don't usually post in LBN. Do I need to self delete?

Response to Lisa0825 (Reply #8)

Fri Mar 15, 2019, 01:24 AM

9. Probably. Just delete the first post and it should lock it and if you

want to discuss the topic simply post on the other thread.

Edit: BTW another way to find stuff is to go directly to LBN then if you are using windows hit CTRL + F and type in a keyword to see if the topic might be under discussion already.

Example say I went to LBN forum then I hit CTRL + F I would enter the keyword of Southern in the search option that would open up near the top of the page and hit enter to see if it highlights anything on the forum and if not then I would try with Poverty as the next just to be sure.

Fri Mar 15, 2019, 12:46 AM

5. Have really respected him for years. Sad news. n/t

Fri Mar 15, 2019, 06:47 AM

10. Locking...duplicate