HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Former FEMA Official Accu...

Tue Sep 10, 2019, 01:15 PM

Former FEMA Official Accused of Taking Bribes in Hurricane Maria Recovery

Source: New York Times

Former FEMA Official Accused of Taking Bribes in Hurricane Maria Recovery

By Patricia Mazzei and Frances Robles

Sept. 10, 2019 Updated 12:50 p.m. ET

MIAMI -- A former top administrator of the Federal Emergency Management Agency was arrested on Tuesday in a major federal corruption investigation that found that the official took bribes from the president of a company that secured $1.8 billion in federal contracts to repair Puerto Rico's shredded electrical grid after Hurricane Maria.

Federal authorities arrested Ahsha Tribble, FEMA's former deputy administrator for the region that includes Puerto Rico, and Donald Keith Ellison, the former president of Cobra Acquisitions, prosecutors in Puerto Rico announced. They were accused of conspiring to defraud the federal government, among other charges.

A second FEMA employee, Jovanda R. Patterson, who worked as a deputy chief of staff in Puerto Rico under Ms. Tribble and was later hired by Cobra, was also arrested, said Rosa Emilia Rodrguez Vlez, the United States attorney for Puerto Rico.

Ms. Tribble and Mr. Ellison had a "close personal relationship," Ms. Rodrguez Vlez said, in which Mr. Ellison lavished Ms. Tribble with gifts in exchange for her to use her influence inside FEMA to give Cobra an advantage.

Read more: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/10/us/puerto-rico-fema-arrests-corruption.html

Hat tip, commenter kaydenpat at Joe.My.God:

Bolton Hits Back: You Didn't Fire Me, I Offered To Quit
September 10, 2019

https://www.joemygod.com/2019/09/bolton-hits-back-you-didnt-fire-me-i-offered-to-quit/

OT:

JUST IN: The FEMA official who oversaw the reconstruction of Puerto Rico's electrical grid after Hurricane Maria in 2017 has been arrested in connection with fraud and conspiracy charges.

9 replies, 1905 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 9 replies Author Time Post
Reply Former FEMA Official Accused of Taking Bribes in Hurricane Maria Recovery (Original post)
mahatmakanejeeves Tuesday OP
Dennis Donovan Tuesday #1
50 Shades Of Blue Tuesday #4
catrose Tuesday #2
Leghorn21 Tuesday #3
Igel Tuesday #7
PSPS Tuesday #5
riversedge Tuesday #6
Sherman A1 Wednesday #8
nitpicker Wednesday #9

Response to mahatmakanejeeves (Original post)

Tue Sep 10, 2019, 01:19 PM

1. Ahsha Tribble?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/10/us/puerto-rico-fema-arrests-corruption.html

MIAMI — A former top administrator of the Federal Emergency Management Agency was arrested on Tuesday in a major federal corruption investigation that found that the official took bribes from the president of a company that secured $1.8 billion in federal contracts to repair Puerto Rico’s shredded electrical grid after Hurricane Maria.

Federal authorities arrested Ahsha Tribble, FEMA’s former deputy administrator for the region that includes Puerto Rico, and Donald Keith Ellison, the former president of Cobra Acquisitions, prosecutors in Puerto Rico announced. They were accused of conspiring to defraud the federal government, among other charges.

A second FEMA employee, Jovanda R. Patterson, who worked as a deputy chief of staff in Puerto Rico under Ms. Tribble and was later hired by Cobra, was also arrested, said Rosa Emilia Rodríguez Vélez, the United States attorney for Puerto Rico.

Ms. Tribble and Mr. Ellison had a “close personal relationship,” Ms. Rodríguez Vélez said, in which Mr. Ellison lavished Ms. Tribble with gifts in exchange for her to use her influence inside FEMA to give Cobra an advantage.

</snip>

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Dennis Donovan (Reply #1)

Tue Sep 10, 2019, 02:00 PM

4. ROFL! She's in trouble!

Reply to this post

Tue Sep 10, 2019, 01:19 PM

2. Damn, I'm tired of the corruption

Reply to this post

Tue Sep 10, 2019, 01:27 PM

3. GREAT NEWS

One by one, you scumbuckets

SO happy to hear this, thank you jeeves!!

Reply to this post

Response to Leghorn21 (Reply #3)

Tue Sep 10, 2019, 08:07 PM

7. Here's a pic of the "scumbucket."

Reply to this post

Tue Sep 10, 2019, 02:33 PM

5. "federal corruption investigation" means Barr which means a wrist slap or pardon

Depends on how much of a cut trump gets

Reply to this post

Tue Sep 10, 2019, 07:15 PM

6. This is good news.

Reply to this post

Wed Sep 11, 2019, 06:13 AM

8. Excellent

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread