HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Trump suffers rare intern...

Fri Oct 18, 2019, 06:44 PM

Trump suffers rare international rebuke in a withering statement from multiple European countries

Source: rawraw story

Published 6 hours ago on October 18, 2019

Leaders from Germany, France, the United Kingdom, the European Parliament, and the United States joined together on Friday to issue a damning statement condemning President Donald Trump and Turkey for the ongoing atrocities in northern Syria.

In the statement, the chairs of foreign affairs committees from each governing body said they consider Turkey’s recent incursion into Syria targeting the Kurdish people to be “military aggression and a violation of international law.”

They continued: “The Turkish offensive is causing suffering for the local people who are forced to flee and a further instability in Syria and the neighboring region.”

After effectively giving the green light to Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan to invade the region after withdrawing American troops more than a week ago, President Donald Trump has tried to defend his decision and claim that he is working with Turkey to resolve the conflict. But observers argued that the agreement the Trump administration reached with Erdogan on Thursday, which Vice President Mike Pence called a “ceasefire,” was in fact just a complete capitulation to Turkey’s wishes and a betrayal of the Kurds.......................................

Read more: https://www.rawstory.com/2019/10/trump-suffers-rare-international-rebuke-in-a-withering-statement-from-multiple-european-countries/

Good to see this. Bet Trump could not care less.

41 replies, 7735 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 41 replies Author Time Post
Reply Trump suffers rare international rebuke in a withering statement from multiple European countries (Original post)
riversedge Oct 18 OP
2naSalit Oct 18 #1
BigmanPigman Oct 18 #2
Rhiannon12866 Oct 18 #7
bdamomma Oct 18 #8
SergeStorms Oct 18 #13
bdamomma Oct 18 #22
BigmanPigman Oct 19 #35
BlueIdaho Oct 18 #17
flibbitygiblets Oct 19 #32
BigmanPigman Oct 19 #34
brewens Oct 19 #26
Pacifist Patriot Oct 19 #27
roamer65 Oct 18 #3
SergeStorms Oct 18 #14
pansypoo53219 Oct 18 #4
sinkingfeeling Oct 18 #5
BigmanPigman Oct 18 #9
machoneman Oct 19 #31
PunkinPi Oct 19 #33
PSPS Oct 18 #6
tclambert Oct 18 #10
Always Randy Oct 18 #11
lunatica Oct 18 #12
yaesu Oct 18 #15
progressoid Oct 18 #16
progree Oct 18 #19
progressoid Oct 18 #20
progree Oct 18 #18
Name removed Oct 19 #39
RainCaster Oct 18 #21
ck4829 Oct 19 #25
Calista241 Oct 19 #30
Scurrilous Oct 18 #23
ck4829 Oct 19 #24
Hotler Oct 19 #28
TomVilmer Oct 19 #29
AlexSFCA Oct 19 #36
friend of m and j Oct 19 #37
GETPLANING Oct 19 #38
Linda Ed Oct 19 #40
trueblue2007 Oct 20 #41

Response to riversedge (Original post)

Fri Oct 18, 2019, 06:50 PM

1. It will

only give the shitstain someone else to attack.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Oct 18, 2019, 07:03 PM

2. I'm hoping they will boycott the G7 if it is held at his club.

They would be concerned about security (wiretaps, etc) and by spending money at his club they would be adding to the "corruption" that he is supposed to be so concerned about. It would be the ideal excuse to NOT attend.

Reply to this post

Response to BigmanPigman (Reply #2)

Fri Oct 18, 2019, 08:13 PM

7. +100!

And these are our traditional long time allies!

Reply to this post

Response to Rhiannon12866 (Reply #7)

Fri Oct 18, 2019, 08:39 PM

8. Hopefully

this will catch on...………..ICC????

tRump is not interested in allies, just oligarchs and being part of their club. He wants to be ruthless wanna be dictator.

Reply to this post

Response to bdamomma (Reply #8)

Fri Oct 18, 2019, 09:00 PM

13. Wanna be?

He's doing a damned fine imitation of an actual strong-arm dictator. I fear it's only going to get worse the closer we get to impeaching him, too.

Reply to this post

Response to SergeStorms (Reply #13)

Fri Oct 18, 2019, 10:10 PM

22. Just finished watching

Bill Maher, his signoff was to pay tRump off to resign, with everyone who hates him. He listed celebrities, singers, sports figures..if they all put in a million dollars, cause all he talks about is money. So true.: eyes:

Reply to this post

Response to bdamomma (Reply #22)

Sat Oct 19, 2019, 04:20 PM

35. I saw that and offered to chip in a couple bucks myself.

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 18, 2019, 09:25 PM

17. Perhaps they should hold a G6 Summit

In a more enlightened country.

Reply to this post

Response to BlueIdaho (Reply #17)

Sat Oct 19, 2019, 02:00 PM

32. Hate to agree, but coming here, now, to his fleabag hotel, is a very bad move for G7

This clown can't be legitimized any longer. Really, I've heard the Doral only has two presidential suites. Are the other 6 countries going to arm wrestle for the one Dump doesn't stay in? (Or are we all about to pay for a major renovation to his failing swamp "resort" in the dead of summer, in Florida for Gods sake?). That hotel will be booked for months before the event, 100 days or so.

Reply to this post

Response to flibbitygiblets (Reply #32)

Sat Oct 19, 2019, 04:18 PM

34. Yes, that's what Stephanie Ruhle said last night on both

Chris Hayes and Brian Williams. The fucking moron would also get a full remodel for free (paid by our tax dollars). She did the math and he financially benefits in a zillion ways. I doubt that world leaders, accustomed to nice hotels, would be thrilled about having a double bedroom, a free continental breakfast and wiretaps in their rooms.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 19, 2019, 06:19 AM

26. Wait until the last possible minute though. Make sure there is no time for Trump's people

to book anything else.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 19, 2019, 07:23 AM

27. I've asked friends in the UK to contact their MPs...

and ask for their help with precisely this.

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 18, 2019, 07:12 PM

3. They should just boycott it. Regardless of where it is in the USA.

Reply to this post

Response to roamer65 (Reply #3)

Fri Oct 18, 2019, 09:04 PM

14. That would drive Bed-Bug Donnie right up a wall.

Taking money out of his pocket, even if it is illegal money, is one thing Bed-Bug Donnie won't abide. He'll nuke a blue state for that one!

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 18, 2019, 07:23 PM

4. stay at a dif hotel & copter in.

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 18, 2019, 07:24 PM

5. Is this being covered by CNN and MSNBC talking heads?

Reply to this post

Response to sinkingfeeling (Reply #5)

Fri Oct 18, 2019, 08:42 PM

9. Yes, all day long on both channels.

Last edited Fri Oct 18, 2019, 10:37 PM - Edit history (1)

Apparently if it is held there tRump will get a total remodel paid for by our taxes. Chris Hayes and Brian Williams had Stephanie Ruhle on and she has all the numbers. The helicopters would ruin the course so it would get rebuilt. Also, the people setting it up would be staying there for 50 days adding more money to the moron's personal bank account. She said that there are only two "presidential suites" and the foreign leaders would not want to stay in a double bedroom with a shower and a TV and a continental breakfast when they are used to very nice hotel suites.

Reply to this post

Response to BigmanPigman (Reply #9)

Sat Oct 19, 2019, 09:45 AM

31. I do think other leaders will compare the antiquated, snug and less than posh resort rooms to.....

what they usually expect from other quarters. Once they see the place, they will not want to stay there, bedbugs be damned!

Reply to this post

Response to sinkingfeeling (Reply #5)

Sat Oct 19, 2019, 02:10 PM

33. Here's Chris Hayes and Stephanie Ruhle discussing it last night...

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 18, 2019, 07:24 PM

6. "Do me a favor and I'll be your surrender monkey." Signed, DJT P.S. MAGA!!!111!

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 18, 2019, 08:44 PM

10. Trump will care because they criticize him. His fragile ego can't tolerate that.

He will complain they don't understand his "great and unmatched wisdom," and insult them back. His insults will probably not have any substance to them. For instance, he'll make fun of the way they look, or say something about how they fared in WWII (they either lost or begged for America's help).

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 18, 2019, 08:49 PM

11. It still makes me wonder about Jill Stein at dinner with Putin

she is seated with a lot of the stars of the show of the Mueller investigation. Is there anyone on DU that would doubt the POSSIBILITY that Russia would interfere with our election.---spoilers have a long history in our electoral process---

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 18, 2019, 08:51 PM

12. Maybe they'll put us on probation once he's gone

We’ve unleashed two world class assholes on the world (GW Bush and Trump) just in the last 20 years. Maybe President Obama will be enough for the world to give us a chance to join back in.

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 18, 2019, 09:16 PM

15. As long as putie loves him he's happy. nt

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 18, 2019, 09:17 PM

16. Listen to AM radio and you'll hear all his supporters suddenly switch from "we must fight ISIS"

to "Stop the endless wars!" And then call us hypocrites because we're all supposed to be pacifists or something.

Reply to this post

Response to progressoid (Reply #16)

Fri Oct 18, 2019, 09:35 PM

19. "they fought with us, ... they died for us" "tens of thousands of Kurds died fighting Isis"..

Credit: Rhiannon12866     https://www.democraticunderground.com/1017556373

I made this "transcript" of most of the 2018 remarks from a couple of listens, so it's not
guaranteed precisely exactly accurate, and not entirely in the order presented, but anyway, just to get a flavor of them:

re: the Kurds in 2018 --

"they fought with us, they died with us ... they died for us"

"tens of thousands of Kurds died fighting Isis",

"we don't forget, I don't forget",

"that's their territory, we have to help them, I want to help them",

"these are great people"

Listen to AM radio and you'll hear all his supporters suddenly switch from "we must fight ISIS"
to "Stop the endless wars!" And then call us hypocrites because we're all supposed to be pacifists or something.

Maybe they can explain the Neville Trumperlain flip-flop-a-roo.

Reply to this post

Response to progree (Reply #19)

Fri Oct 18, 2019, 09:43 PM

20. Yep.

But his kool-aid drinking supporters don't seem to care.

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 18, 2019, 09:32 PM

18. a national rebuke too -- "Leaders from Germany, France, ... and the United States"

Leaders from Germany, France, the United Kingdom, the European Parliament, and the United States joined together on Friday to issue a damning statement condemning President Donald Trump and Turkey for the ongoing atrocities in northern Syria.

In the statement, the chairs of foreign affairs committees from each governing body said they consider Turkey’s recent incursion into Syria targeting the Kurdish people to be “military aggression and a violation of international law.”

Reply to this post

Response to progree (Reply #18)

Fri Oct 18, 2019, 10:06 PM

21. NATO needs to rebuke him as well

They also need to vote in a process for removing a member state.

Reply to this post

Response to RainCaster (Reply #21)

Sat Oct 19, 2019, 06:07 AM

25. Yep

Reply to this post

Response to RainCaster (Reply #21)

Sat Oct 19, 2019, 09:31 AM

30. The US provides for over 50% of NATO's budget

And over 70% of its defense expenditures. NATO kicking us out would be tantamount to suicide for the organization.

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 18, 2019, 10:12 PM

23. ...

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 19, 2019, 06:07 AM

24. K&R

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 19, 2019, 08:20 AM

28. They should hold their own G6 and tell him he can't come. He can...

stream the event on his phone from the White House.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 19, 2019, 09:01 AM

29. Very strange reception of this story...

The absolute only mayor news outlet who has brought it is Axios.

And a search for a direct quote on google gives only EIGHT answers?

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 19, 2019, 04:59 PM

36. rebuke must be not to trump but GOP

trump has zero power without full gop support, in fact he could be jailed within a week if not gop. I don’t blame trump for anything anymore - he is mentally ill con artist. The real evil is GOP. Trump is just a conduit.
But let’s keep laser focus on Ukraine scandal which is impeachable offence; Syria is not.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 19, 2019, 05:24 PM

37. If the members of the V7 would agree to make this years event a V6 (not inviting Trump) they will

another location other than Doral. I doubt that there is one resort that Mulvaney didn't vet but would be a great site to discuss the issues they will be debating. As the founder of the resort describes it "it is a place to leave the cares of the world behind".

I am talking about Sundance Resort in Utah. It is accustomed to large influx of visitors, it has 95 mountain cottages, 11 Beautiful Mountain Homes and is located on 5,000 acres. It is a combination of primitive and sophistication in the midst of some of the most beautiful scenery in the US. It is only minutes away from Park City, Utah and Salt Lake City International Airport. I guarantee I would rather go there for a conference or summit (or whatever they call it) than Doral (with a history of being infested with bedbugs) in Miami in June with hot temperatures, high humidity and lots of mosquitoes.

Robert Redford, the founder of Sundance Resort and creator of the world famous Sundance Film Festival has made it a policy since he acquired the property in 1968 and built the Resort to not allow political events at the Resort. But his views might be changing in these changing times. And the G7 (or in our hypothetical case the G6) is not directly a political event. It is a meeting of the US friends and allies.

Redford made a statement recently that makes me believe he might be receptive to holding the event in his Resort. An excerpt from his statement is The full statement may be read at the link following my comment.)

“Tonight, for the first time I can remember, I feel out of place in the country I was born into and the citizenship I’ve loved my whole life. For weeks I’ve watched with sadness as our civil servants have failed us, turning toward bigotry, mean-spiritedness, and mockery as the now-normal tools of the trade.

“How can we expect the next generation to step up and serve, to be interested in public life, and to aspire to get involved when all we show them is how to spar, attack, and destroy each other?

“It’s hard to blame young people for calling us out, and pointing to our conflicts between the values we declare, and those we stand behind only when it’s convenient to partisanship. Many people are rightly calling it a damn mess.....

"This is our country too. Every woman, man, and child in it, our American future.

“We’ve got work to do.”

[link:https://www.indiewire.com/2018/10/robert-redford-politics-i-feel-out-of-place-in-the-country-i-was-born-into-1202010083/|

]

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 19, 2019, 06:23 PM

38. As long as Trump Tower Istanbul is OK

Trump could not care less about people he knows nothing about

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 19, 2019, 07:44 PM

40. CIA OFFICIALLY CONCLUDED

The CIA has now officially concluded that the Saudi crown prince ordered Khashoggi’s assassination.

How much more evidence of human rights abuses does Trump need before we stop providing military assistance to Saudi Arabia? What is so appalling is that rethugs will never abandon him because they are desperate to hold on to power. Only voting all of the ba%&^$# out of office will save this country.

Trump has put the Republican Party through a lot. Most have gone willingly along with him — kids in cages, a trade war, protecting Putin, honoring Kim Jong-Un, breaking the law, the lies, the insults, the fake news, the rape allegations.

The idea that trump represents us in the eyes of the world is demoralizing.
The Republican Party is a daily humiliation of all the things our founders believed in.

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 20, 2019, 04:02 AM

41. THE WORLD HATES RUMP

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread