HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Senate Democrats propose ...

Tue Apr 7, 2020, 02:35 PM

Senate Democrats propose $25,000 hazard-pay plan for essential workers

Source: The Hill

BY ALEXANDER BOLTON - 04/07/20 11:43 AM EDT

Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) and other Democrats are proposing to give doctors, nurses and other essential workers, such as grocery store clerks, up to $25,000 in hazard pay as part of the phase four coronavirus relief bill.

The bonus pay, which would amount to a $13-per-hour raise, would also go to truck drivers and janitors, who Democrats say are also essential to keeping the health care system and economy running during the crisis.

It would stretch from the start of the public health emergency to the end of the year.

“As the COVID pandemic has reached alarming new levels, our health care system is strained to the max, our economy is strained to the max. Doctors and nurses, medical personnel of all types are putting their lives on the line every single day to fight this disease and save others,” Schumer said on a conference call introducing the proposal.

Read more: https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/491547-senate-democrats-propose-25000-hazard-pay-plan-for-essential-workers

15 replies, 1484 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 15 replies Author Time Post
Reply Senate Democrats propose $25,000 hazard-pay plan for essential workers (Original post)
Judi Lynn Apr 7 OP
The Magistrate Apr 7 #1
jorgevlorgan Apr 7 #13
LiberalArkie Apr 7 #2
riversedge Apr 7 #12
bucolic_frolic Apr 7 #3
Progressive Jones Apr 7 #4
OilemFirchen Apr 7 #5
Mr.Bill Apr 7 #6
Alacritous Crier Apr 7 #7
iluvtennis Apr 7 #8
Sherman A1 Apr 7 #9
pecosbob Apr 7 #10
SWBTATTReg Apr 7 #11
rainbow4321 Apr 8 #14
DiverDave Apr 8 #15

Response to Judi Lynn (Original post)

Tue Apr 7, 2020, 02:42 PM

1. The Best Idea I Have Heard Yet, Ma'am

Just who are the essential workers in our society is being thrown into clear relief by this crisis.

It is clear income is not matched to utility under our normal arrangements.

People should remember this, whenever someone begins burbling about who deserves what share of the money our economy creates.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to The Magistrate (Reply #1)

Tue Apr 7, 2020, 08:54 PM

13. Well said, Sir.

This would be an excellent thing to happen, although I expect the Grand Old Psychopaths to keep any such thing from happening.

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 7, 2020, 02:46 PM

2. And telephone outside techs, Power and water people.. Most have to go into peoples homes

to repair and install internet and work on other stuff

Reply to this post

Response to LiberalArkie (Reply #2)

Tue Apr 7, 2020, 08:21 PM

12. I think it should include all folks still working

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 7, 2020, 02:48 PM

3. Oh yes, this will be popular with the GOP

compensating labor, paying workers who do the work for the work they produce. I'd bet this is a non-starter.

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 7, 2020, 02:50 PM

4. No mention of USPS workers in the article. nt

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 7, 2020, 02:54 PM

5. Nurses' aides (PCTs, NAs) must be included as essential workers.

They, along with the (mentioned) housekeeping staff and hospital food service workers are likely at greater risk than their more professional peers. An aide, specifically, will usually spend much more time with a patient than a nurse or doctor, more frequently, while engaged in more risky tasks - often without PPE.

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 7, 2020, 03:14 PM

6. I'm all for this,

but something these folks are really going to need is tax relief at this time next year. This 25K should be tax free, federal and state and so should the overtime pay they are making. My wife is a retired nurse, and during years when she worked a lot of overtime because the hospital was understaffed, just about all the money was eaten up by taxes.

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 7, 2020, 03:54 PM

7. That's a great idea!! -- nt

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 7, 2020, 04:14 PM

8. Woohoo...

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 7, 2020, 04:27 PM

9. It is a great idea

I suspect it will go nowhere, but still a great idea.

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 7, 2020, 05:31 PM

10. Fat Chance IMO

The people such as myself still working crappy, low paying jobs will get nothing. This is the way things have always been and the way they will always be. The rich profit from other's misfortune and the poor make that profit for them.

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 7, 2020, 06:05 PM

11. And make the damn billionaires and rich companies who don't pay taxes pay for it. After all, ...

these people aren't essential as we're finding out now. Have you missed any of their so called critical businesses? Where are they, on the front lines? Are they placing their lives at risk, to help us in our time of need? I suspect that a lot of them are cowering in their castles, or little cubby holes somewhere, awaiting the end of this thing.

It's amazing that it takes a crisis of this magnitude, to really pinpoint those crucial people necessary for all of us to have the lives that we have today. My humble thanks to everyone of them that are on the front lines, putting themselves in harms' way. My humble prayer for each and everyone of them to go home afterwards, to their families in good health. Amen.

Reply to this post

Wed Apr 8, 2020, 04:54 PM

14. It HAS to include us contracted healthcare workers

If they give the money ONLY to hospital systems, it goes only to direct employees. Travel healthcare workers are frontline, also. But we are employees of various travel HCW agencies. We take contracts around the country and work on the frontline but are NOT hospital employees so any money given to the facilities won’t make it to us travelers/contractors. There are travelers in the current hot spots but also those of us elsewhere..who are getting to see things like “that patient was sent to a regular floor but started to run a fever and has been transferred to the CoVid unit now for testing”. Sweet...so those of us in/out of his room before the transfer get to wait on his test results 😭?
Tweek the bill, please! Include contract HCW or risk leaving out many frontline healthcare workers.

Reply to this post

Wed Apr 8, 2020, 05:24 PM

15. This truck driver is all for it

Due to the virus, freight rates are down, as is freight to haul.
I just had to deadhead 345 miles for a load.
Been a long time since I had to go that far for a load.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread