HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Air Canada to rehire 16,5...

Wed Apr 8, 2020, 12:36 PM

Air Canada to rehire 16,500 workers laid off due to pandemic

Source: Raw Story

Published 3 mins ago on April 8, 2020 By Agence France-Presse

Some 16,500 Air Canada employees who were laid off because of the coronavirus pandemic will be rehired under a government relief package for businesses, the airline said Wednesday.

The company furloughed nearly half of its Canada-based workforce of 36,000 on March 30 after seeing business abruptly dry up by more than 90 percent as country after country imposed travel restrictions and people stopped flying.

The Canadian government stepped in April 1 with an emergency wage subsidy plan called CEWS that is designed to help employers keep their workers or bring back ones that were laid off because of the pandemic.

It is retroactive to March 15 and under it the government will pay 75 percent of hard-hit companiesí payrolls through June 6.

Read more: https://www.rawstory.com/2020/04/air-canada-to-rehire-16500-workers-laid-off-due-to-pandemic/

-snip-

While in this country we have a traitor wanting to make a payroll tax cut permanent too undermine Social Security and Medicare...................

2 replies, 803 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Air Canada to rehire 16,500 workers laid off due to pandemic (Original post)
turbinetree Apr 8 OP
DarthDem Apr 8 #1
cstanleytech Apr 8 #2

Response to turbinetree (Original post)

Wed Apr 8, 2020, 01:05 PM

1. Good news

I'm happy for the workers!

I'm also happy that other countries are showing how to step up, because that sends a message to the voters in this country that we don't need to be a third world banana republic. Instead, we can be more like Canada (and other countries also showing enviable and admirable leadership) in certain positive respects.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to turbinetree (Original post)

Wed Apr 8, 2020, 01:13 PM

2. I have zero problems with a payroll tax cut

except of course that it should be raised to 35% and no way to reduce it for everyone earning more than one million a year including corporations since they are people according to a number of Republicans.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread