HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » #FireChrisHayes trends af...

Thu Apr 30, 2020, 03:57 PM

#FireChrisHayes trends after MSNBC host covers Biden sexual assault allegations

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by Omaha Steve (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: The Hill

MSNBC host Chris Hayes sparked backlash from the left when he became the first prime-time host on the network to cover a former aide's sexual assault allegations against presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden, with the hashtag "FireChrisHayes" trending on Twitter.

The "All-In" host welcomed New York magazine's Rebecca Traister to his program Wednesday night after she penned an essay, titled "The Biden Trap," that was critical of the former vice president for not addressing Tara Reade's allegations in any interviews, thereby leaving Democratic women supporting his candidacy to answer questions about the allegations for him.

Biden has conducted dozens of national and local interviews in recent weeks, but has yet to be asked about the allegations. His campaign denied the allegations in a statement on March 28.

“What this is creating is a kind of a perfect storm where the women who are being asked to support his opponent are now being asked to answer for these charges,” Traister told Hayes. “In part because of the vacuum created by Joe Biden, who is not yet really directly answering these questions, and certainly, not doing what I wish he would, which is to say: ‘Please direct your questions about these allegations to me, and not the women that are out there offering their support to my candidacy.'”

Read more: Link to source

41 replies, 3007 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 41 replies Author Time Post
Reply #FireChrisHayes trends after MSNBC host covers Biden sexual assault allegations (Original post)
Jose Garcia Apr 2020 OP
The Blue Flower Apr 2020 #1
Lonestarblue Apr 2020 #2
pandr32 Apr 2020 #4
phandancer917 Apr 2020 #5
Demsrule86 Apr 2020 #23
George II Apr 2020 #24
Haggis for Breakfast Apr 2020 #28
phandancer917 Apr 2020 #29
Miguelito Loveless Apr 2020 #8
JI7 Apr 2020 #9
Demsrule86 Apr 2020 #22
jrthin Apr 2020 #3
DarthDem Apr 2020 #6
Cha Apr 2020 #14
still_one Apr 2020 #7
LisaM Apr 2020 #10
still_one Apr 2020 #11
Demsrule86 Apr 2020 #15
Cha Apr 2020 #17
Demsrule86 Apr 2020 #20
oldsoftie Apr 2020 #30
still_one Apr 2020 #32
hay rick Apr 2020 #12
Karma13612 Apr 2020 #13
samsingh Apr 2020 #16
Rebl2 Apr 2020 #36
samsingh Apr 2020 #18
samsingh Apr 2020 #19
oldsoftie Apr 2020 #21
George II Apr 2020 #25
Judi Lynn Apr 2020 #26
OilemFirchen Apr 2020 #27
kimbutgar Apr 2020 #31
MenloParque Apr 2020 #33
Steelrolled Apr 2020 #34
NotHardly Apr 2020 #35
Rebl2 Apr 2020 #38
Joinfortmill Apr 2020 #37
BlueIdaho Apr 2020 #39
Prof.Higgins Apr 2020 #40
Omaha Steve Apr 2020 #41

Response to Jose Garcia (Original post)

Thu Apr 30, 2020, 04:00 PM

1. I felt disgusted listening to her

From all I've read, it's a nonstory. I turned off the tv after listening to her present nothing of value to the story.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Apr 30, 2020, 04:08 PM

2. Once again, the media is trying to turn a nonstory into a big issue.

The media is doing the same hand wringing with this story as they did with Hillary’s emails. Biden has already said that the story is not true. So exactly what does the media expect by demanding that he respond to the allegations? He has responded. Tara Reade’s story has enough holes in it to drive a Mack truck through. The mainstream media is already looking for ways to tear Biden down. Harping on this story is not news—it’s giving a voice to someone trying to smear a presidential candidate.

Response to Lonestarblue (Reply #2)

Thu Apr 30, 2020, 04:20 PM

4. True

I'll bet that the plan is to make this a big deal and then compare Joe to DT as equals--both men have been accused. The hope is it would make them equally bad so never mind the allegations against DT.
Horse race.

Thu Apr 30, 2020, 04:22 PM

5. This is NOT a bad thing!

Whether we want this or not....this IS A STORY! The trick is to get ahead of it and knock down the lies early.

MSNBC or the RNC -- this is going to get a LOT of airtime. Might as well vet all angles.

Response to phandancer917 (Reply #5)

Thu Apr 30, 2020, 05:10 PM

23. It is a bad thing.

Thu Apr 30, 2020, 05:10 PM

24. If that's the case, he should have covered the WHOLE story, not just a few aspects of it.

Thu Apr 30, 2020, 05:27 PM

28. No. This is NOT a story.

It is a bogus distraction. Ask yourself who is pushing this tall tale. Her story has been debunked more times than I can count. The inconsistencies, contradictions, and incongruous components of her "story" are incompatible with the ability to believe any portion of her account. You could sail the entire Seventh Fleet through the holes in her story.

We need to stop giving this fabricated invention any more oxygen.

Response to Haggis for Breakfast (Reply #28)

Thu Apr 30, 2020, 05:41 PM

29. Fair enough....

....however, this WILL be a story regardless.

Might as well pour sunlight in to bring out the truth.

Thu Apr 30, 2020, 04:31 PM

8. The corporate media want Trump in power

He is good for profits. I would have thought this was obvious by now.

Thu Apr 30, 2020, 04:32 PM

9. don't you know. they have to be fair and balanced

with the negative reporting on trump they have to do negative reporting on Biden also.

this includes legitimizing questionable bs .

Response to JI7 (Reply #9)

Thu Apr 30, 2020, 05:09 PM

22. No Mr Chris 'smug' Hayes is a Bernie supporter. He is trying to overturn the will of primary voters

with lies. Sen. Sanders has no part in this. He and VP Biden have worked it out. You should not use your power as a journalist to lie...effectively put your thumb on the scale.

Thu Apr 30, 2020, 04:16 PM

3. With entertainers like Chris Hayes, they are attempting

to Benghazi/what about her emails Biden.

Thu Apr 30, 2020, 04:26 PM

6. Sorry, but

I've never liked Chris Hayes. He was smugly dismissive of Biden at every opportunity until - whoops! He overwhelmingly became the presumptive nominee. Sorry, Mr. Hayes.

Response to DarthDem (Reply #6)

Thu Apr 30, 2020, 05:01 PM

14. Agree.. and now that he "smells blood in the water.." he's all

over it.

I welcome the backlash against his incompetent reporting.

Thu Apr 30, 2020, 04:28 PM

7. .......................................

Here is a timeline of events, regarding Tara Reade’s actions toward both Joe Biden:

December 1992 — August 1993 — Tara Reade worked as a Senate aide in Joe Biden’s office.
2009 — Reade commended Biden for actions he has taken against domestic violence.
2017 — Reade repeatedly attacked Putin and Russia on Twitter for election interference and for Russian legislation that legalized domestic violence.
2017 — Reade repeatedly praised Joe Biden through tweets, retweets and “likes” on Twitter. On multiple occasions she boosts him for his work on helping end sexual assault.
2018 — Reade claims she liked Russia since she left Washington DC (Over a decade ago), and praised Putin and Russia over and over again. She also directly praised Putin for his treatment of women in multiple articles.
January of 2019 — Reade first begins talking about her sexual harassment allegations against Joe Biden on Twitter.
March, 2019 — Reade continues to praise Putin.
April, 2019 — Reade comes forward with her original allegations against Biden, but says his actions were NOT “sexualization,” but rather compared his actions toward her as being demeaning and treating her like a “pretty” lamp that is thrown away when it’s too bright. She also claimed that her story was not “a story about sexual misconduct.”
September 2019 — Reade calls on Joe Biden to be investigated for his dealings with Ukraine.
January, 2020 — Reade continues to praise Vladimir Putin on Twitter.
March, 2020 — Reade comes forward again, this time claiming that Joe Biden did sexually assault her in 1993.
March, 2020 — Reade tells Vox News that she started liking Putin and Russia in 2018 after “watching Noam Chomsky,” but no longer likes Putin after finding out about domestic violence in Russia. (note: in 2018 she claimed to have loved Russia since over a decade ago, and in 2017 she was posting tweets on her account related to Russia’s domestic violence.)

https://medium.com/%40eddiekrassenstein/evidence-casts-doubt-on-tara-reades-sexual-assault-allegations-of-joe-biden-e4cb3ee38460

Response to still_one (Reply #7)

Thu Apr 30, 2020, 04:34 PM

10. Does she have Stockholm Syndrome towards Putin or something?

i don't think Chris Hayes should be fired over one objectionable guest, but if a DUer can put together this effective timeline in a matter of minutes, it shouldn't be out of Chris Hayes' range to do the same thing. Is he a sloppy journalist?

(Kudos on the timeline, BTW, which I may steal).

Response to LisaM (Reply #10)

Thu Apr 30, 2020, 04:38 PM

11. I am not a Chris Hayes fan, but I agree with you Lisa, I don't think he should be fired either,

and he won't be. Obviously this is an emotionally charged issue, which causes folks to say things they don't always mean

The timeline was extracted from the medium link I supplied below, and of course use it where applicable

Thanks

Response to still_one (Reply #11)

Thu Apr 30, 2020, 05:02 PM

15. He needs to apologize or be fired.

Response to still_one (Reply #11)

Thu Apr 30, 2020, 05:03 PM

17. I'm glad Chris Hayes is being held accountable on

Social Media anyway for his incompetent reporting.

Spreader of Smears on Joe Biden.

Response to LisaM (Reply #10)

Thu Apr 30, 2020, 05:05 PM

20. I saw it. He should be fired. He presented it as if there was no question that she was credible...

and she is not. He went after a legitimate story on the New York Time who had researched it. He was giggling and have a great time. It was disgusting. He needs to go.

Response to Demsrule86 (Reply #20)

Thu Apr 30, 2020, 05:47 PM

30. But the Times has now said they did not clear this.

And CBS just did a story on this. Should they ALL be fired? No.
This isnt going to go away until its dealt with and THEN dismissed

Response to Demsrule86 (Reply #20)

Thu Apr 30, 2020, 06:23 PM

32. I didn't see it, but then again I don't watch him. In my view if one doesn't like what he says turn

him off or change channels

Thu Apr 30, 2020, 04:42 PM

12. Ari Melber also "covered" this story.

Thin line between journalism and complicity on MSNBC.

Thu Apr 30, 2020, 04:50 PM

13. Maybe if we get the issue "over with" now,

It will be old news by September.

We need to be ready for the October surprise.

Dog!, do I hate politics sometimes!

16. why don't these brave journalists get so force ful with trump ?

Response to samsingh (Reply #16)

Thu Apr 30, 2020, 07:13 PM

36. Exactly!

18. yes, fire him

Thu Apr 30, 2020, 05:04 PM

19. Yes, fire him.

Thu Apr 30, 2020, 05:07 PM

21. Oh BS. I guess Don Lemon should be fired then. And HuffPost run out of business. Etc.

because they've covered the story as well.
I picked Biden early on when we started the DU primaries. I never changed. Still havent. But the story is out there & there is a lot of corroboration to go along with it.
Whether we like it or not. It IS a story & ignoring it will bite you in the butt.

Response to oldsoftie (Reply #21)

Thu Apr 30, 2020, 05:12 PM

25. Don Lemon didn't cover the story with such a blatant bias that Chris Hayes did.

Thu Apr 30, 2020, 05:13 PM

26. I was listening & when I realized he had reached the end of the segment it was a shock!

Couldn't believe he let her go on and on and didn't seem remotely concerned without referring to the real picture, and had a totally blank look on his face as if nothing needed to be added. I am certain he was totally "all in" with that version.

She left it hanging at the end as if it throws total suspicion on him if he doesn't give his version of events immediately. She implied he simply looks "guilty" of the preposterous behavior.

Simply stunned. I lost total respect for him, and have enjoyed him all this time until last night.

He treated her as if she has the standing of a well respected journalist.

Horrible, what a damned disappointment,

As mentioned earlier on this thread, an explanation and an apology are due tonight, not a moment later.

Thu Apr 30, 2020, 05:18 PM

27. I have a reading disorder.

When a paragraph follows another and completely contradicts the first, I fart uncontrollably. Thankfully, no one was near when I read this:

The "All-In" host welcomed New York magazine's Rebecca Traister to his program Wednesday night after she penned an essay, titled "The Biden Trap," that was critical of the former vice president for not addressing Tara Reade's allegations in any interviews, thereby leaving Democratic women supporting his candidacy to answer questions about the allegations for him.

Biden has conducted dozens of national and local interviews in recent weeks, but has yet to be asked about the allegations. His campaign denied the allegations in a statement on March 28.

Thu Apr 30, 2020, 06:21 PM

31. This is why I stopped watching msnbc after the election

They were all in for MF45 and then shocked shocked I tell you he had won. I started watching a bit again during the impeachment. I am so disappointed in Chris Hayes for running this bs story and giving it airtime. Shame on Chris Hayes. That said I might tune in tonight to see what he says and how he defends himself.

Thu Apr 30, 2020, 06:27 PM

33. How dare that Scumbag!!!

Fire this motherfucker now!!! Don’t let him get away with this!!! Argghhhh!!!

Thu Apr 30, 2020, 06:37 PM

34. We might not want to hear this

but this will be a good thing for his career.

Thu Apr 30, 2020, 06:53 PM

35. I cannot stand the little preening twerp, never have, only reason I watch a few minutes is because

Rachael Maddow comes on immediately after he stutter-steps and talks over every guest he ever has had.

Note: I did not hear the piece but I really cannot abide him & his 'low brow' playing at being informed.

Response to NotHardly (Reply #35)

Thu Apr 30, 2020, 07:42 PM

38. Yes Hayes is as

bad as Chris Matthews was talking over his guests. I quit watching Hayes a long time ago, partly for that reason. I did not see his interview last night, but from what I have read it is obvious he is and has always been a Bernie supporter. All he is doing is giving republicans info to use against Joe Biden. If I didn’t know better, I would say he is working for the Trump campaign. Hayes is disgusting.

Thu Apr 30, 2020, 07:41 PM

37. She needs to read more, specifically the accuser's father's book

which details an assault scene eerily similar to the one she accused Biden of. You can't make this shit up, people. https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2020/4/30/1941523/-Biden-Accuser-Reade-s-Allegations-Match-Scene-from-Dead-Father-s-Novel

Thu Apr 30, 2020, 08:21 PM

39. Smartest Boy in the room.

What a disappointment.

Thu Apr 30, 2020, 09:43 PM

40. I tweeted to Hayes: never watch your program agsin.

Today I watched Dr. Fauci and Bill Gates on CNN while recording Rachel Maddow's program. Hayes epically failed to tell his audience the reasons why major news outlets and some progressive groups have not been willing to give this accusation against Biden a public prominence which it clearly does not deserve. If Hayes or Melber believe this is so deserving of prominence, why didn't they bring this accusation to their viewers attention back during the earlier Democratic Party primary elections?

Thu Apr 30, 2020, 09:56 PM

41. After a review by forum hosts....LOCKING

Missing link. Trending hashtags are not LBN.