HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Trump changes story, says...

Tue Sep 15, 2020, 03:55 PM

Trump changes story, says he wanted to assassinate Syria's Assad

Source: POLITICO

Trump's comments are similar to a report in journalist Bob Woodward's 2018 book "Fear."

09/15/2020 10:16 AM EDT

“I would have rather taken him out. I had him all set. Mattis didn't want to do it," Trump said in an interview with Fox & Friends, referring to then-Defense Secretary Jim Mattis. "Mattis was against most of that stuff."

"Let's [expletive] kill him! Let's go in. Let's kill the [expletive] lot of them," Trump is said to have told Mattis.

Following the book's publication, Trump denied the account, dismissing the book as "fiction" and telling journalists that assassinating Assad "was never contemplated, nor would it be contemplated."

In the Tuesday interview, Trump personally attacked Mattis as "highly overrated" and "a bad leader," saying "he was terrible to me, he was a terrible general."..........................................

Read more: https://www.politico.com/news/2020/09/15/trump-assassinate-syria-assad-415093

?s=20

Syrian President Bashar Assad gestures while speaking to Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov during their talks in Damascus, Syria, Monday, Sept. 7, 2020. | Russian Foreign Ministry Press Service via AP

11 replies, 1456 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 11 replies Author Time Post
Reply Trump changes story, says he wanted to assassinate Syria's Assad (Original post)
riversedge Sep 15 OP
C_U_L8R Sep 15 #1
JI7 Sep 15 #2
ArizonaLib Sep 15 #4
Cirque du So-What Sep 15 #3
no_hypocrisy Sep 15 #5
Lonestarblue Sep 15 #6
TomCADem Sep 15 #7
George II Sep 15 #8
Grins Sep 15 #9
OnlinePoker Sep 15 #10
JI7 Sep 16 #11

Response to riversedge (Original post)

Tue Sep 15, 2020, 03:57 PM

1. The real questions is... who has he had assasinated ??

He seems to enjoy it

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Sep 15, 2020, 03:57 PM

2. Im sure he did just like he was anti Kim but it was PUTIN who most

likely put a stop to him doing anything to Assad.

Reply to this post

Response to JI7 (Reply #2)

Tue Sep 15, 2020, 04:02 PM

4. Someone should put his tweets of calling him Sky Pilot before Kim's visit invite

with audio from Woodward's recent call: '...just don't mock him'

Trump is old chicken shit.

Reply to this post

Tue Sep 15, 2020, 03:58 PM

3. I call bullshit

No way in hell would pooty-poot have consented to assassinating Assad, another of his strategic puppets.

Reply to this post

Response to Cirque du So-What (Reply #3)

Tue Sep 15, 2020, 04:07 PM

5. Agree 1,000,000

Reply to this post

Tue Sep 15, 2020, 04:24 PM

6. He finally got to assassinate someone with Soleimani.

I’m sure Trump felt like the big man then. In his warped mind, it was just as important as Obama taking out bin Laden.

Reply to this post

Tue Sep 15, 2020, 04:39 PM

7. Trump (2015): Let Putin fight ISIS in Syria

Who needs meds when instability is Trump's baseline state of being.

https://www.cnn.com/2015/09/27/politics/donald-trump-isis-syria-russia-60-minutes/index.html

Washington (CNN)Donald Trump wants to flip the U.S. strategy against ISIS on its head, drawing down the America's involvement in fighting the militant group in Syria in favor of a greater Russian presence.

While most of his fellow Republican presidential hopefuls are calling for a bigger military effort to destroy the group, Trump said the U.S. should reduce its already small footprint in Syria. And in Iraq, Trump said he would be willing to send round forces to fight the radical militant group.

"Now let me just say this: ISIS in Syria, (Syrian President Bashar el) Assad in Syria, Assad and ISIS are mortal enemies. We go in to fight ISIS. Why aren't we letting ISIS go and fight Assad and then we pick up the remnants?" Trump said in a "60 Minutes" interview that aired Sunday on CBS.

Alternatively, the GOP front-runner said the U.S. should let Russia take the lead in battling ISIS in Syria, where the Russian government is allied with the Assad regime. "Russia wants to get rid of ISIS. We want to get rid of ISIS. Maybe let Russia do it. Let them get rid of ISIS. What the hell do we care?" Trump said.

Reply to this post

Tue Sep 15, 2020, 04:46 PM

8. That's great. Nothing like compromising American troops in the region. What an idiot!

By the way, does he realize that assassinating the leader of a country we're NOT at war with violates American policy?

Reply to this post

Tue Sep 15, 2020, 04:58 PM

9. More like...

“Mattis didn't want to do it.”

More like Putin didn't want Trump to do it.

Reply to this post

Tue Sep 15, 2020, 11:54 PM

10. So, he failed at that too?

Just to clarify, I'm against assassination of heads of state no matter how reprehensible they are.

Reply to this post

Wed Sep 16, 2020, 12:19 AM

11. So he was able to protect Assad but nothing for US soldiers that Russia put a bounty on ?

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread