HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Most coronavirus cases ar...

Sat Nov 21, 2020, 10:20 AM

Most coronavirus cases are spread by people without symptoms, CDC now says

Source: CNN

(CNN)Most coronavirus infections are spread by people who have no symptoms, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said in newly updated guidance.

It's one of the main reasons mask use is so important, the CDC said.

... snip ...

According to the CDC, 24% of people who transmit the virus to others never develop symptoms and another 35% were pre-symptomatic. It also said 41% infected others while experiencing symptoms.

Peak infectiousness comes five days after infection, the agency said on the website. "With these assumptions, 59% of infections would be transmitted when no symptoms are present but could range (from) 51%-70% if the fraction of asymptomatic infections were 24%-30% and peak infectiousness ranged 4-6 days."

... snip ...

The CDC said studies have shown 40-45% of infected people never develop symptoms.

Read more: https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/20/health/cdc-coronavirus-spread-asymptomatic-website-wellness/index.html

8 replies, 1631 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply Most coronavirus cases are spread by people without symptoms, CDC now says (Original post)
UpInArms Nov 21 OP
mucifer Nov 21 #1
Arne Nov 21 #2
KY_EnviroGuy Nov 21 #3
byronius Nov 21 #7
snowybirdie Nov 21 #4
frazzled Nov 21 #5
babylonsister Nov 21 #6
Sherman A1 Nov 22 #8

Response to UpInArms (Original post)

Sat Nov 21, 2020, 10:24 AM

1. Just more confirmation of what they have been saying. Assume everyone has it and u can get it

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to mucifer (Reply #1)

Sat Nov 21, 2020, 10:28 AM

2. The plot of a terrible horror movie, but real.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 21, 2020, 10:42 AM

3. This statement reiterates the need for mass testing and contact tracing.

We're facing a lot of headwinds, folks.

With perhaps half the populace in denial or outright belligerent, three major holidays in quick succession and a lot of cold weather to go until spring.

Joe and Kamala have a monumental job ahead of them, all the while fighting a low-grade civil war with Republicans. The majority of Americans need to get behind them and follow the rules.

Sorry, but it's hard to be positive right now........

Reply to this post

Response to KY_EnviroGuy (Reply #3)

Sat Nov 21, 2020, 04:11 PM

7. Gosh, wouldn't it be nice if we were smart enough to do those things as a nation?

Maybe if conservatism didn't practice destruction of public education?

We could have defeated this already. Damn it.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 21, 2020, 10:45 AM

4. My heart sank

When I saw pictures on FB this morning of my out of town family all together celebrating a birthday. Four families coming together inside, hugging and no distancing. Not a mask to be seen. One is highly lung compromised, one is a clinic nurse and four school age children hugging and smiling for the camera. I'm praying all will be ok for them, and so happy we've cancelled Thanksgiving with them. These stats are so concerning. The vaccine can't come soon enough.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 21, 2020, 10:47 AM

5. Masks, isolation ... but question about testing

We are 98% isolated at home, and wear masks even to go down to get the mail in our building. And wash hands all day. There is the occasional visit during senior hour for groceries.

But what about testing? Unlike some universities (U. of Illinois has some of the most successful and extensive testing), is the ordinary person expected to get tested at regular intervals? It would have to be, like, every 3 or 4 days to be of any value. And going to get tested is itself something of a risk. We haven't been tested: I guess we're waiting until we have some potential symptoms. I can't see the point to it. I'd do it now if I had to make an emergency trip to see an ailing relative, but that's it.

Am I wrong? Should staying at home, masks, distancing, and washing sufficient personal behaviors given this situation? It seems the best we can do.

Reply to this post

Response to frazzled (Reply #5)

Sat Nov 21, 2020, 11:13 AM

6. We're doing what you're doing.

We also haven't been tested. I don't see the need as long as we're feeling fine and not going anywhere or near anyone.

On the very occasional trips out to shop, or Lowe's, we are always masked up.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 22, 2020, 06:56 AM

8. Stands to reason

Folks showing symptoms would likely (not always I know) be more careful. Hence a greater likelihood that if one has the virus but shows no symptoms and doesn’t know they have it, that they would be spreading it.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread