HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » 'Mank' leads Oscar nomina...

Mon Mar 15, 2021, 02:34 PM

'Mank' leads Oscar nominations in a year of record diversity

Source: AP

By JAKE COYLE

NEW YORK (AP) — In a year in which the pandemic shuttered movie theaters for months, Academy Awards nominations went to two female filmmakers for the first time and a historically diverse slate of actors Monday but, ultimately, David Fincher’s “Mank” — a very traditional contender about Hollywood itself — took the lead.

Fincher’s “Mank,” a black-and-white, period drama about “Citizen Kane” screenwriter Herman Mankiewicz, easily topped nominations for the 93rd Academy Awards — delayed two months by the coronavirus pandemic — with 10 nominations, including best picture, best director, acting nods for Gary Oldman and Amanda Seyfried, and a host of others for its lavish craft.

The other nominations were spread among a wide variety of contenders. Six each were scored by six films, all of which are also up for best picture: “Judas and the Black Messiah,” “Nomadland,” “Minari,” “Sound of Metal,” “The Trial of the Chicago 7” and “The Father.” Also nominated for best picture was Emerald Fennell’s “Promising Young Woman.”

History was made in the best director category. Only five women have ever been nominated before. For the first time, two were this year. Chloé Zhoe got a nod for her elegiac road-trip drama “Nomadland” alongside first-time feature filmmaker Fennell for her pitch black #MeToo revenge comedy. “Never going to stop crying,” Fennell, also nominated for best screenplay, said on Twitter.

In this image released by Netflix, Amanda Seyfried, left, and Gary Oldman appear in a scene from "Mank." (Netflix via AP)

Read more: https://apnews.com/article/oscar-2021-nominations-academy-awards-6200c2a90ef434ebd23d1b4685503abf

Marta and I didn't like Mank at all.

11 replies, 1553 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 11 replies Author Time Post
Reply 'Mank' leads Oscar nominations in a year of record diversity (Original post)
Omaha Steve Mar 2021 OP
CaptainTruth Mar 2021 #1
lavenderdiva Mar 2021 #2
yellowdogintexas Mar 2021 #11
PatSeg Mar 2021 #3
Ligyron Mar 2021 #5
Auggie Mar 2021 #4
Upthevibe Mar 2021 #7
ananda Mar 2021 #6
frazzled Mar 2021 #8
regnaD kciN Mar 2021 #9
greenjar_01 Mar 2021 #10

Response to Omaha Steve (Original post)

Mon Mar 15, 2021, 03:09 PM

1. Any Mindhunter fans here?

We just watched seasons 1 & 2 & I really liked it.

Fincher was supposed to do 5 seasons of Mindhunter but he took off after 2 seasons to do Mank, & it looks like Mindhunter will probably never be finished.

I feel like the Academy should tell him he's not getting any Academy Awards until he finishes what he started, & finishes Mindhunter. It's like he's getting dessert without finishing his vegetables.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to CaptainTruth (Reply #1)

Mon Mar 15, 2021, 03:37 PM

2. Yes -- loved Mindhunter

My husband and I loved Mindhunter, watching both seasons 1 & 2. Still looking for more seasons to watch. The story was engrossing and so well written. I didn’t know that 5 seasons had been scheduled!

Reply to this post

Response to lavenderdiva (Reply #2)

Tue Mar 16, 2021, 02:25 AM

11. The British have breaks between seasons on many of their series

I don't know why they couldn't do that here

Or just pull a Darren Stevens and replace the actor. It is done on soap operas all the time

Reply to this post

Mon Mar 15, 2021, 03:40 PM

3. That was an excellent show

I didn't realize it wasn't coming back. That's a shame. There are plenty of other people involved as directors and writers, you'd think they could pull it off without Fincher.

Reply to this post

Mon Mar 15, 2021, 05:57 PM

5. Great show and didn't know there was a 2nd season.

That's a pleasant surprize.

Reply to this post

Mon Mar 15, 2021, 03:55 PM

4. Loved "Mank." Also "Trial of the Chicago 7" and "One Night in Miami."

Sadly, One Night In Miami did not get a Best Picture nomination. Regina King, director, should have gotten a nomination too. The film is way more watchable and historically significant than Minari, for example.

Reply to this post

Response to Auggie (Reply #4)

Mon Mar 15, 2021, 11:33 PM

7. I haven't seen Mank but just watched

Minari (video on demand) and LOVED it.......The other films nominated that I've seen are The Trial of the Chicago 7 and Nomadland.

Out of those, Minari would absolutely get my vote. This movie touched my heart so deeply. I'm in a crying and emotional mood anyway (one of my best friends lost her 17 year old son, whom she adopted from Nepal when he was six months old, to suicide in January). ***********Slight spoiler************The little boy Minari reminded me so much of my friend's son who I considered a nephew. I was looking at pictures of him when he was little and have been sobbing all evening. The entire cast in Minari is STELLAR....

Reply to this post

Mon Mar 15, 2021, 08:19 PM

6. I didn't like it either.

I quit after about half an hour.

Reply to this post

Response to ananda (Reply #6)

Mon Mar 15, 2021, 11:42 PM

8. Me either

And I am a fan of Orson Wells and Citizen Kane and black-and-white films and was really looking forward to it. I didn’t like the script, I didn’t care for the cinematography (the gray scale made it largely illegible at times, and it bore no relationship to b&w films of the period).

I did enjoy Amanda Seyfried’s performance of the Marion Davies, though it seemed to rather glamorize and intellectualize her more than she deserved.

Not in my top films of the year. But Hollywood loves stories about Hollywood.

Reply to this post

Tue Mar 16, 2021, 12:45 AM

9. TBH, the Academy Awards were ruined for me...

...when they went from five Best Picture nominees to up to ten each year.

I've never been under the illusion that the Academy really awarded the "best" in each category, given heavy industry politics, but at least, with five nominees, you could remember which ones got the nod, and possibly go out and see the ones you hadn't seen beforehand in the weeks between the nominations and the award ceremony, so you could have a rooting interest in one film or another. But, with this many nominees, it's practically impossible to remember which films even got the nod, let alone see them all. I used to be able to recite every Best Picture winner, and at least some of the nominees, for every year from 1960 to around 2003. Now, I can barely remember which film won overall for each year since then.

Reply to this post

Tue Mar 16, 2021, 12:51 AM

10. I thought Steven Yeun was absolutely remarkable in Minari

What an incredible performance, my God. He's up against some tough competition, but good Lord, that was incredible. What a talent!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread