HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » 26% of White Republicans ...

Sun Mar 21, 2021, 12:10 PM

26% of White Republicans Say They Face Discrimination

Source: PoliticalWire

March 21, 2021 at 11:50 am EDT By Taegan Goddard

Pew Research: “While Democrats are more likely than Republicans to say Black, Hispanic and Asian people face discrimination, Republicans are much more likely than Democrats to say that there is a lot of discrimination against White people in society today. About a quarter of Republicans (26%) say that White people face a lot of discrimination; just 4% of Democrats say this.”

###

Read more: https://politicalwire.com/2021/03/21/quarter-of-white-republicans-say-they-face-discrimination/

54 replies, 3225 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 54 replies Author Time Post
Reply 26% of White Republicans Say They Face Discrimination (Original post)
DonViejo Mar 21 OP
elias7 Mar 21 #1
hlthe2b Mar 21 #4
elias7 Mar 21 #25
onetexan Mar 21 #22
PoindexterOglethorpe Mar 21 #2
Diamond_Dog Mar 21 #5
chowder66 Mar 21 #16
KS Toronado Mar 21 #3
aquamarina Mar 21 #6
brush Mar 21 #7
sop Mar 21 #14
brush Mar 21 #18
Voltaire2 Mar 21 #8
Cozmo Mar 21 #13
Jay25 Mar 21 #9
Tiger8 Mar 22 #49
bringthePaine Mar 21 #10
caraher Mar 21 #26
KPN Mar 21 #11
iemitsu Mar 21 #12
SWBTATTReg Mar 21 #15
markie Mar 21 #17
flibbitygiblets Mar 21 #46
Martin68 Mar 21 #19
iluvtennis Mar 21 #20
Ferrets are Cool Mar 21 #21
bdamomma Mar 21 #23
Mr. Scorpio Mar 21 #24
milestogo Mar 21 #27
peppertree Mar 21 #28
Rabrrrrrr Mar 21 #29
peppertree Mar 21 #31
BadGimp Mar 21 #30
c_junk Mar 21 #32
Blue Owl Mar 21 #33
George II Mar 21 #34
Skittles Mar 21 #35
LastLiberal in PalmSprings Mar 21 #36
Ford_Prefect Mar 21 #37
JI7 Mar 21 #38
Aussie105 Mar 21 #39
Collimator Mar 21 #40
Aussie105 Mar 21 #41
Buckeye_Democrat Mar 21 #42
SunSeeker Mar 21 #43
Marcuse Mar 21 #44
CanonRay Mar 21 #45
DallasNE Mar 21 #47
msfiddlestix Mar 21 #48
Roisin Ni Fiachra Mar 22 #50
SKKY Mar 22 #51
malthaussen Mar 22 #52
lagomorph777 Mar 22 #53
ExTex Mar 22 #54

Response to DonViejo (Original post)

Sun Mar 21, 2021, 12:11 PM

1. Polls like this are BS. There needs to be an elucidation of what they mean

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to elias7 (Reply #1)

Sun Mar 21, 2021, 12:16 PM

4. Yes. But honestly, if I were hiring, I would research social media for candidates

and while there could easily be issues on either side of the political spectrum (e.g., a justification of violence as a means to an end) that I would consider a "NO GO", RW-associated views on public health, masking, vaccination, sedition, racism, misogyny, LGBT, or conspiracy theory would be an immediate GO NO FURTHER.

The RW may think "HATE" or religious intolerance that leads to hate and discrimination makes them a "protected class." I've got news for them.

Reply to this post

Response to hlthe2b (Reply #4)

Sun Mar 21, 2021, 02:09 PM

25. Right, decent point, but are they aware of such rationale for decision making?

Reply to this post

Response to elias7 (Reply #1)

Sun Mar 21, 2021, 01:49 PM

22. LOL U got that right, its pure BS..oh the plight of the white ugly americans who always plays the

Victim all the while they discriminate against people of color. Sad sad lot.

Reply to this post

Sun Mar 21, 2021, 12:14 PM

2. Most white people who claim they are being discriminated against,

don't understand that when their white privilege isn't being explicitly upheld, they are not being discriminated against. They are only being treated the same as anyone else.

Reply to this post

Response to PoindexterOglethorpe (Reply #2)

Sun Mar 21, 2021, 12:17 PM

5. ++++

Reply to this post

Response to PoindexterOglethorpe (Reply #2)

Sun Mar 21, 2021, 01:17 PM

16. aka they hate being called out for being assholes.

Reply to this post

Sun Mar 21, 2021, 12:15 PM

3. Typical Qepublicans...gotta play the victim

Reply to this post

Sun Mar 21, 2021, 12:19 PM

6. Oh puleeze

Reply to this post

Sun Mar 21, 2021, 12:24 PM

7. Anytime POCs get equal treatment many right wing whites think they themselves are being...

Last edited Sun Mar 21, 2021, 01:24 PM - Edit history (1)

discriminated against. They're so used to societal issues favoring them that when it equals out they're like...WTF?

Reply to this post

Response to brush (Reply #7)

Sun Mar 21, 2021, 01:13 PM

14. "When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression."

Reply to this post

Response to sop (Reply #14)

Sun Mar 21, 2021, 01:21 PM

18. There you go.

Reply to this post

Sun Mar 21, 2021, 12:40 PM

8. snowflakes

getting shunned for being a misogynistic racist homophobic jackass is such a burden.

Reply to this post

Response to Voltaire2 (Reply #8)

Sun Mar 21, 2021, 01:12 PM

13. Yeah, it's such a shame, isn't it?

Reply to this post

Sun Mar 21, 2021, 12:56 PM

9. That's because they consider being called out for their discrimination, as being discriminated

against.

Reply to this post

Response to Jay25 (Reply #9)

Mon Mar 22, 2021, 08:19 AM

49. A bakery boycotted for refusing to bake a gay wedding cake is discrimination - against the bakery!

For them, discrimination has nothing to do with equality - it's all about any disruption to "White Heterosexual Male Christian Privilege" established order.

This is why they worship Trump - he was completely 100% unapologetic about "grabbing them by the P#&&y" and "Go ahead and teach him a lesson. I'll pay your legal bills" anything else White Privilege. This was the world they inherited from their daddies....and by god, Trump was the guy who was crawling it back for them.

Reply to this post

Sun Mar 21, 2021, 12:58 PM

10. just 26%? when they're all delusional? better than expected...

Reply to this post

Response to bringthePaine (Reply #10)

Sun Mar 21, 2021, 02:13 PM

26. That's just the fraction saying there is a "a lot" of discrimination

It's hard to tell exactly based on how Pew reported results, but it looks like about twice as many say there is "some" discrimination - so likely a majority of Republicans think whites are discriminated against to some degree, even if not "a lot."

Reply to this post

Sun Mar 21, 2021, 12:59 PM

11. Morons think that "discrimination" extends to values and behavior. Lord help us with these

selfish idiots.

Reply to this post

Sun Mar 21, 2021, 01:07 PM

12. Yeah, 26% of whites feel discrimination because they

can't freely call people the "N" word.

Reply to this post

Sun Mar 21, 2021, 01:15 PM

15. Whining as usual. Nothing, absolutely nothing makes these idiots happy, unless someone

is suffering. I could care less about what republicans feel, yet I seem to see a lot of hand holding, etc. worrying, etc. about what republicans are feeling in a few DU stories.

Reply to this post

Sun Mar 21, 2021, 01:21 PM

17. we need to force

people that feel they are discriminated against to clearly explain what they mean and why they feel the way they do... good segment on BBC this am about "thinking the way we do" within it this method to get people to come to grips with what's going on inside their head...

I know, easier said than done... but if these people have to be part of our society.... no matter what we think, their feelings are real to them, even if it is delusion

Reply to this post

Response to markie (Reply #17)

Sun Mar 21, 2021, 08:22 PM

46. I love this idea

Reply to this post

Sun Mar 21, 2021, 01:25 PM

19. 26 percent of Whites Republicans are entitled whiners.

Reply to this post

Sun Mar 21, 2021, 01:32 PM

20. "...there is a lot of discrimination against White people in society today". I call BS on this

assertion. Do they face some discrimination, am sure that's true...but they face nothing to the level that minorities face in this society.

Reply to this post

Sun Mar 21, 2021, 01:44 PM

21. Name ONE

I've been white for 64 years. I have never been discriminated against because of my skin color.

Methinks repugs are confusing race and intelligence. And that, I'm sure, isn't discrimination.

Reply to this post

Sun Mar 21, 2021, 01:53 PM

23. my answer to this untruth

is

Reply to this post

Sun Mar 21, 2021, 01:58 PM

24. How does that work exactly?

Reply to this post

Sun Mar 21, 2021, 02:15 PM

27. And those 26% are all while males "suffering" because they are having to recognize others rights

Reply to this post

Sun Mar 21, 2021, 02:23 PM

28. Aww. Snowflakes are so cute in March.

Reply to this post

Sun Mar 21, 2021, 02:38 PM

29. Because they think that being told "No, you can't have sex with me" or "No, you can't tell racist

jokes" or "No, you can't go kill homosexuals or black people" is oppression.

Reply to this post

Response to Rabrrrrrr (Reply #29)

Sun Mar 21, 2021, 03:13 PM

31. Snowflakes say the darndest things, don't they?

Reply to this post

Sun Mar 21, 2021, 02:44 PM

30. How far does your White head have to be up your arse...

Last edited Mon Mar 22, 2021, 02:49 PM - Edit history (1)

for you to think Discrimination is a problem for you?

Reply to this post

Sun Mar 21, 2021, 03:13 PM

32. So what?

On December 17, 2020, Gallup polling found that 31% of Americans identified as Democrats, 25% identified as Republican, and 41% as Independent. So approximately one quarter of Republicans have discriminatory angst. That's about 1/16 of the adult population, between 6 and 7 percent. So why should whining snowflakes be coddled when they're unwilling to recognize their own privilege?

Reply to this post

Sun Mar 21, 2021, 03:14 PM

33. Guam is a US territory. Republican response: "I'm being discriminated against!!!"

Reply to this post

Sun Mar 21, 2021, 03:44 PM

34. No doubt 99% of that 26% is "intellectual discrimination", people don't like dealing with idiots!

Reply to this post

Sun Mar 21, 2021, 04:28 PM

35. they think it is "discrimination" when the world doesn't revolve around them

fucking SNOWFLAKES

Reply to this post

Sun Mar 21, 2021, 04:49 PM

36. Only 26%? I would think it was higher.

Whenever a fundie tells me Christians are persecuted, I tell them, "You're not being persecuted -- you're just an asshole."

Reply to this post

Sun Mar 21, 2021, 05:39 PM

37. The Young Republicans on my campus back in the 90's pushed this wheeze saying they were

discriminated against by the curriculum choices and course content at UNC-Chapel Hill and threatened but never filed legal action. Of course this was a shot across the bow at that time. Their claim was that conservative thought and expression was being oppressed by a Liberal Arts curriculum which included Black and Women's studies but did not accept the conservative view of history, culture, law, or science.

In a way they were right. UNC didn't accept unfounded interpretations or propagandized versions of those subjects. The Young Republicans were a front group for the arch-conservative John Locke Society whose primary mission was to undermine objective thought and reason in North Carolina and replace it with racist elitism.

The social pressure those conservative students were complaining about came from other students on the campus. The academic pressure came from their attempts to subvert scholarship and replace it with propaganda.

Neither of those situations were discrimination. They were the result of a distorted world view confronted by reality. Their response was to demand a change in the rules to allow their views to be included in the curriculum and the rules of social order on campus. As they always do the conservatives played the victim card and wanted to change the rules to suit their views and preferences, rather than accept that the long established rules had validity and reason.

At that time UNC was the oldest public university in the US and had an important history in race relations in North Carolina. The John Locke Society had publicly named UNC as a public institution they intended to change. The whole "conservatives are discriminated against" which lead to the more current "cancel culture"meme was a strategy to undermine public perception.

This idea that racism is somehow a legitimate point of view and therefore equivalent to what I will call convention is an attempt to place racism on a level with religious faith in our understanding of civil rights under American law. I get angry when the MSM treats it that way. Individual people have the right to think and feel what they will. They do not have the right to impose those beliefs on anyone else. Racism presumes a privileged class of humans and several underclasses with no privileges at all. That is neither American nor Christian.

Reply to this post

Sun Mar 21, 2021, 05:55 PM

38. becsuse they can't say the N word without being called a racist

while it's "ok" for black people to say it.

And because there is black history month .

These are usually the examples of discrmination.

Reply to this post

Sun Mar 21, 2021, 06:16 PM

39. It is not Discrimination

if others refuse to accept your innate feeling of superiority based on skin color, or people with more melanin in their skin thinking you are a danger to their well being and can't be trusted.

Anyhow, we are all descended, supposedly, from Mitochondrial Eve, who lived in Africa eons ago.
I bet she wasn't white!

Nor was Jesus, for that matter, despite him being often depicted that way.

Let's face it, the melanin deprived peoples, including me, are a minority. We should start acting in a more humble, more accepting manner.

Reply to this post

Sun Mar 21, 2021, 06:45 PM

40. I would like to add to this discussion. . .

. . . By pointing out what went through my mind when I read a quote from Sandra Oh taken from a speech she made at a rally on Saturday.

"I am proud to be Asian! I belong here!"

When I hear statements such as these, I have a weird, knee-jerk reaction as I imagine what my very right-leaning family would say in response. So, she can say that she's proud to be Asian but we can't say we're proud to be White?! My response to that (in my head) is that it's okay to be proud, but you don't have to shoot eight people to express it. And, of course, that's not an indication of clear or sophisticated thinking either.

Now, I could unpack a lot of the discussion that I have encountered in my readings that "Whiteness" is a social construct and that if people of European descent want to be proud of their heritage they should learn about their specific ethnic background and find a way to joyfully celebrate that culture.

That's how I approach being Italian. I talk about it, joke about it and wax enthusiastic about the food. No one that I have ever worked with or dealt with in a mixed ethnic group setting has ever reported me to HR or even indicated a cool disdain for me. That may be because I am a very non-threatening person or because my ethnic pride comes with a subliminally conveyed message that everyone has the right to experience the same pride in their heritage as I do in mine.

A potential bad-faith response to the "White construct" argument and my perspective of shifting the focus to one's specific ethnic heritage would be to point out that Ms. Oh is not declaring her pride in being Korean; she is referring to herself as Asian.

Since she's lumping a bunch of people from one continent into a broadly identified group, why can't people with European backgrounds join together as Whites and, as argued above, come out and declare their "White Pride"?

The real answer to that lies in her second statement. "I belong here." Those simple words, declared so boldly in a public venue, get to the heart of the entire "What's wrong with being proud to be White?" question.

People who are visibly identifiable as White never have to affirm their right to exist and go about their lives in this country because nobody questions their general right to be here.

Maybe there are a few instances where a given White person has felt unwelcome in a gathering or a neighborhood, but that is nothing like living with a pervasive and underlying zeitgeist--sometimes spoken out loud-- that questions your legitimacy as a citizen or a worthy member of the larger community.

As others have pointed out here, most of the so-called discrimination that some White people insist they have encountered is more likely a social response to their individual attitudes and behaviors. And that is the true coinage of White Privilege--being seen and measured as an individual.

A White man goes into a spa and shoots eight people. Law enforcement officers wonder about the conditions and circumstances that lead to his actions. A thousand fold group composed of White people in overwhelmingly large numbers surges over and into our nation's Capitol building and engage in a violent melee and pundits everywhere want to understand what prompted their conduct. No one in the public forum suggests that they be eradicated en masse or sent back to their countries of origin.

Those two disturbing possibilities are layered beneath the experience of being discriminated against in this country. It is an absurd statement for any Republican in America to claim the mantle of such a burden.

Reply to this post

Sun Mar 21, 2021, 07:17 PM

41. It's ok to be proud of your heritage

be it Asian, white Anglo-Saxon, etc.

It's NOT ok to look down on those whose heritage doesn't match yours at the same time, or see them as a threat.

But the distinction seems to escape a lot of people.

Reply to this post

Sun Mar 21, 2021, 07:24 PM

42. One of my past coworkers would be one of them, no doubt.

He was a white guy (former Army member) who probably complained to me about a half dozen times that he was denied disability for an ankle injury, claiming that he was told by the black woman handling his case that he'd probably be approved if he was a female or non-white.

1. I kept asking him why, if that was a remotely true story, he didn't contact the state AG about it. (He always avoided trying to answer my question.)
2. He was able to walk (with a slight limp) and to work just fine now, at least, despite how much he expressed hatred for his job.

Reply to this post

Sun Mar 21, 2021, 07:45 PM

43. Delusional, entitled idiots. They think not being able to abuse others is "discrimination."

Reply to this post

Sun Mar 21, 2021, 07:49 PM

44. Karens.

Reply to this post

Sun Mar 21, 2021, 07:51 PM

45. Most likely because they're assholes

Everyone is free to discriminate against assholes.

Reply to this post

Sun Mar 21, 2021, 08:53 PM

47. Measures Sentiment Only

Of the white Republicans, how many are women saying they are discriminated against based on gender.

Poll doesn't measure discrimination in a meaningful way and it does not go into any specifics.

Reply to this post

Sun Mar 21, 2021, 09:16 PM

48. political wire simply did a cut and paste sans any analysis as to the underlying cause for claim

what was the respondents rationalization for this impression, reaction, opinion? what is it based on?

If a poll isn't even asking that question, why are they pushing reactionary responses to an otherwise absurd notion.

Reply to this post

Mon Mar 22, 2021, 09:13 AM

50. To these Republicans, discrimination means being legally deterred from harming innocent people

that they hate.

Reply to this post

Mon Mar 22, 2021, 10:08 AM

51. Womp Womp.

I'm not trying to hear about Republicans and their white people problems. Don't be assholes, and you won't have problems. It's really as simple as that.

Reply to this post

Mon Mar 22, 2021, 12:16 PM

52. I'm guilty of dipshit discrimination, does that count? n/t

Reply to this post

Mon Mar 22, 2021, 04:19 PM

53. I discriminate against republicans.

Because they discriminate against my country.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread