HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » 'Next phase' of criminal ...

Mon Mar 22, 2021, 11:13 AM

'Next phase' of criminal probe into Trump finances: Finding witnesses

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by Omaha Steve (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: Reuters

March 22, 20215:02 AM Updated 3 hours ago

(Reuters) -......................

Prosecutors are looking to gather information and testimony from bankers, bookkeepers, real-estate consultants and others close to the Trump Organization who could provide insights on its dealings, according to interviews and court filings. The process of identifying all witnesses and targets could take months.

ďThe next phase is identifying targetsĒ for subpoenas and testimony, said one person familiar with the case.

Vance has not accused Trump or his associates of wrongdoing but is examining, among other things, whether property values were manipulated to reduce Trumpís taxes or obtain other economic benefits. The case is being heard by a grand jury that will decide whether there is evidence to indict Trump or his associates.

THE INSIDERS

Vanceís investigation will likely rely heavily on Trumpís closest associates - people who can address the key question of what Trump was thinking when he made the financial claims now under scrutiny. Only a core group of Trumpís confidantes can address that state-of-mind question, which is critical to proving criminal intent........................

......................................................................................................................

Read more: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-investigation-witnesses-ins/next-phase-of-criminal-probe-into-trump-finances-finding-witnesses-idUSKBN2BE15X

?s=20

6 replies, 1154 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply 'Next phase' of criminal probe into Trump finances: Finding witnesses (Original post)
riversedge Mar 2021 OP
soothsayer Mar 2021 #1
Qutzupalotl Mar 2021 #2
Bayard Mar 2021 #3
smb Mar 2021 #4
Omaha Steve Mar 2021 #5
Omaha Steve Mar 2021 #6

Response to riversedge (Original post)

Mon Mar 22, 2021, 11:27 AM

1. Lock him up!

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Mar 22, 2021, 11:39 AM

2. "The process of identifying all witnesses and targets could take months."

That helps to gauge expectations.

Makes me wonder, though, why Vance waited until this year to really ramp up this investigation. I was under the impression he was working on it for the last few years. I guess he was. I had heard years ago that Weisselberg was turning state's evidence; that seems to still be in the future.

I wonder if the previous admin would have interfered if he had taken the steps then that he's taking now. (Barr seems to have shut down Mueller's referrals and the counterintel investigation, unless I'm missing something.)

Mon Mar 22, 2021, 11:55 AM

3. "grand jury that will decide whether there is evidence to indict Trump or his associates"

I like that sentence a lot!

Mon Mar 22, 2021, 12:40 PM

4. Identifying Witnesses

That probably means "identifying henchmen who are sufficiently implicated by the documentary evidence that we can lean on them hard and flip some of them".

Mon Mar 22, 2021, 03:03 PM

5. After a review by forum hosts....LOCKING

Opinion, analysis, and speculation. NOT LBN. Can be posted in GD.

Post the latest news from reputable mainstream news websites and blogs. Important news of national interest only.>No analysis or opinion pieces.< No duplicates. News stories must have been published within the last 12 hours. Use the published title of the story as the title of the discussion thread.