HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Biden urges leniency for ...

Wed Mar 31, 2021, 08:02 PM

Biden urges leniency for harsh crack sentences fueled by his crime bill

Source: The Hill

The Biden administration on Wednesday endorsed a bid by low-level crack cocaine offenders for reduced prison sentences, a dramatic reversal that comes more than three decades after a Biden-crafted bill helped to fuel disproportionately harsh penalties for Black drug offenders.

In a brief filed to the Supreme Court, the administration urged the justices to widen sentence-reduction eligibility for certain drug offenses under a 2018 criminal justice reform law known as the First Step Act.

The administration's support for leniency in the case marks a shift from former President Trump, who had asked the justices to side against defendant Tarahrick Terry in an appeal that will be argued in May before the Supreme Court.

More fundamentally, though, Biden's move represents a dramatic break with the tough-on-crime ethos behind a 1986 crime bill he crafted while serving in the Senate.

Read more: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/biden-urges-leniency-for-harsh-crack-sentences-fueled-by-his-crime-bill/ar-BB1fb2BX?ocid=DELLDHP&li=BBnb7Kz

3 replies, 702 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Biden urges leniency for harsh crack sentences fueled by his crime bill (Original post)
Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin Mar 2021 OP
Martin68 Mar 2021 #1
MichMan Apr 2021 #2
Martin68 Apr 2021 #3

Response to Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin (Original post)

Wed Mar 31, 2021, 10:00 PM

1. Look, Clinton, Biden and other liberals had no clue how to deal with the wave of violence

that swept cities in the 80s. They took the advice of academics and "experts" that did not have a clue. I believe they all regret their stances at the time. It was an overreaction and that resulted in self-defeating policies and legislation. It was also based on racist fears and assumptions. Mea culpa.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Martin68 (Reply #1)

Thu Apr 1, 2021, 12:16 AM

2. We elect politicians that are expected to have a clue about such matters

I certainly don't think Republicans should be excused for their poor decisions because they relied on poor advice.

Reply to this post

Response to MichMan (Reply #2)

Thu Apr 1, 2021, 11:55 AM

3. I agree, but I also know that we want politicians to rely on scientific research, and the trend in

social science at the time was in a direction that we no longer recognize as valid. Society got it wrong, social scientists got it wrong, and politicians got it wrong.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread