HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Biden is looking into his...

Thu Apr 1, 2021, 12:36 PM

Biden is looking into his 'legal authority' to cancel student loan debt, White House Chief of Staff

Source: Business Insider

President Joe Biden is looking into his "legal authority" to cancel student loan debt up to $50,000, White House Chief of Staff Ron Klain said in a POLITICO Playbook interview on Thursday.

While speaking to Politico's chief Washington correspondent Ryan Lizza, Klein said Biden has asked Education Secretary Miguel Cardona to create a memo on the president's legal authority to forgive student loans.

He wants the memo to look into both forgiving student loans and canceling loan debt up to $50,000, Klain said.

"[Biden will] look at that [memo on] legal authority," Klain said. "He'll look at the policy issues around that and he'll make a decision. He hasn't made a decision on that either way and, in fact, he hasn't yet gotten the memos that he needs to start to focus on that decision."

Read more: https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/careersandeducation/biden-is-looking-into-his-legal-authority-to-cancel-student-loan-debt-white-house-chief-of-staff-ron-klain-told-politico/ar-BB1fd87Y?li=BBnb7Kz

13 replies, 1417 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 13 replies Author Time Post
Reply Biden is looking into his 'legal authority' to cancel student loan debt, White House Chief of Staff (Original post)
Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin Apr 2021 OP
Botany Apr 2021 #1
ColinC Apr 2021 #2
cinematicdiversions Apr 2021 #3
Evergreen Emerald Apr 2021 #4
blueinredohio Apr 2021 #5
eggplant Apr 2021 #7
Politicub Apr 2021 #8
cinematicdiversions Apr 2021 #13
Demsrule86 Apr 2021 #11
Botany Apr 2021 #12
ret5hd Apr 2021 #6
Steelrolled Apr 2021 #9
3825-87867 Apr 2021 #10

Response to Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin (Original post)

Thu Apr 1, 2021, 12:37 PM

1. Grown ups are back

n/t

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Apr 1, 2021, 12:38 PM

2. ...

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 1, 2021, 12:54 PM

3. Please Please make this means tested.

The last thing we need is a bunch of Instagram posts of people showing off their Biden forgiveness Porches and Instagram vacations. And while I doubt he has even driven by a college or University do we really want to forgive the debt of someone like Chet Hanks or a Hilton or Kardashian?

If either the student or the parent (while the student was in school) is 200% over the poverty line, I really don't think they should be eligible. Otherwise you are taxing the working class to pay for their overseers education. And that is simply wrong.

Reply to this post

Response to cinematicdiversions (Reply #3)

Thu Apr 1, 2021, 01:03 PM

4. It is so frustrating to hear this.

Any increase in income I received from a degree is wiped out PLUS. I will be in debt for life due to the massive loans.

I wish I had not received a degree. I will be paying it off into retirement--or into the grave.

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 1, 2021, 01:06 PM

5. I would think people like Chet Banks or a Hilton or a Kardashian owes any student debt.

I doubt they had to borrow money to go to college. But I do see what you're saying.

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 1, 2021, 02:24 PM

7. I would much rather give it to anyone carrying such debt.

The "wealthy" don't generally have student loan debt in the first place. And douchebags are going to douchbag regardless.

Reply to this post

Response to eggplant (Reply #7)

Thu Apr 1, 2021, 02:30 PM

8. The wealthy consider debt a form of leverage

that frees income up for investing in programs that return a higher rate of interest.

This is another way the system is rigged against regular people in favor of the upper echelons of the one percent.

I can't speak for the upper-middle class (whoever that is).

Reply to this post

Response to eggplant (Reply #7)

Thu Apr 1, 2021, 08:34 PM

13. Giving 40k free money to a boss

While his workers cannot afford childcare and housing seems obscene. It is a large giveaway to the rich. All I am saying is cap the forgiveness for those making more than say 50k a year.

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 1, 2021, 05:18 PM

11. Wrong. You can't afford college as a middle class person. I hope they do something about parent

loans as well.

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 1, 2021, 08:31 PM

12. "The last thing we need is a bunch of Instagram posts of people showing off their Biden ...

... forgiveness Porches." OMG not instagram posts.

I like art do you?
?resize=768%2C1024

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 1, 2021, 01:55 PM

6. "I got cancer and went through radiation and chemotherapy...

It would be totally unfair if they now discover a cure for cancer!!!"

(NO, I DID NOT HAVE CANCER)

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 1, 2021, 02:37 PM

9. Wonder what this means going forward

if you are taking out loans now, will you have to repay them?

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 1, 2021, 03:36 PM

10. Wait? Is this Joe Manchin thing contagious?

Yeah, let's not give help to the Hungry in America because 10% (or whatever percentage) wastes food!
Can't help homeless because, well, it's their choice, right, to be homeless? Can't be spending any or YOUR (tax) money to keep any of them warm in the winter.
And let's not (federally) pay for any abortions that that might save a woman or child who was raped or must endure a terrible medical problem for the rest of the life of a newborn, right?
Let's not help people suffering in hurricanes because most people don't endure hurricanes!
And good grief, think how bad it is that someone , somewhere should get something for any tax dollars they already paid for the "right" to live in America. (That Right" only pertains if you do you fair share, I guess!)

That someone else should not get something for nothing or next to nothing that can't help them out when they are in need because YOU feel it's something being taken away from YOU, sounds positively REPUBLICAN!

I sincerely hope YOU never have the occasion to walk in their shoes. But if you do, I imagine YOU will never expect any helping hands!

Sorry for the rant. But I've had enough of those who are so worried the micro percentage amount of taxes ( maybe as much as a couple of bucks) might be handed out to those in need while they never say a word about the gross subsidies given to Big Oil, Big Pharma and the destruction of small American Farmers and Businesses.

Yeah. Absolutely Republican.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread