HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Biden faces pressure from...

Mon Apr 12, 2021, 07:42 AM

Biden faces pressure from Pelosi, Sanders over whether to double down on Obamacare or expand Medicar

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by DonViejo (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: Washington Post

The White House is facing diverging pressure from two powerful allies ó House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and Senate Budget Committee Chairman Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) ó over whether to use an upcoming spending package to strengthen the Affordable Care Act or expand Medicare eligibility.

Pelosiís office is pushing the White House to make permanent a temporary expansion of Affordable Care Act subsidies that were included in the $1.9 trillion stimulus legislation last month, according to a senior Democratic aide who spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe internal conversations.

Sanders said in an interview that he is arguing for lowering the age of Medicare eligibility to 55 or 60 and expanding the program for seniors so it covers dental, vision and hearing care.

The contrasting visions for the next phase of President Bidenís legislative agenda reflect divisions within the Democratic Party about how Biden should further overhaul health insurance in the United States. Pelosi is looking to double down on the ACA, which has become more popular in recent years as it offers insurance subsidies to people well above the poverty line. Sanders, meanwhile, is looking for an opportunity to make progress on his longtime efforts to make government health insurance universal.

Read more: https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-policy/2021/04/12/sanders-pelosi-biden-obamacare-medicare

7 replies, 798 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply Biden faces pressure from Pelosi, Sanders over whether to double down on Obamacare or expand Medicar (Original post)
brooklynite Apr 12 OP
bucolic_frolic Apr 12 #1
groundloop Apr 12 #2
KPN Apr 12 #3
George II Apr 12 #4
NurseJackie Apr 12 #5
cstanleytech Apr 12 #6
DonViejo Apr 12 #7

Response to brooklynite (Original post)

Mon Apr 12, 2021, 08:06 AM

1. I'm with Pelosi on this one

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Apr 12, 2021, 08:30 AM

2. Not "Divisions" ... merely differing opinions on how to help the most people

It irks me that any time there are multiple ideas among Democrats that the media paints it as 'divisions'. I certainly don't see GOPers with more than one idea that would help anyone except the wealthy.

I would personally benefit from Bernie's proposal, so of course I'm in favor of that. But honestly, anything we can do to help more people get affordable healthcare is a good thing.

Mon Apr 12, 2021, 08:31 AM

3. How about both?

Response to KPN (Reply #3)

Mon Apr 12, 2021, 09:16 AM

5. Pelosi (D) is right. Sanders (I) is wrong.

I think that President Biden should completely ignore Bernie on this one... and do the right thing instead: permanently expand the ACA subsidies!

Mon Apr 12, 2021, 09:34 AM

6. I prefer strengthening the ACA if I had to pick one. As for Bernie wanting to expand the program to

cover dental, vision and hearing that actually already exists if people opt for a Medicare advantage program though I do think the coverage for those programs should be standardized on what they cover and in the case of dental the coverage should be beefed up for the procedures that they cover.
For example they do not cover implants for dental but dental implants are actually better in a number of ways than dentures as the last virtually forever and the implants can also boost a persons physiological well being which can help their overall health.
As for the vision coverage about the only think I think they should consider changing there is adding coverage for IOLs that correct vision if a person is at the point of needing cataract surgery.

Mon Apr 12, 2021, 09:43 AM

7. Locking...

The consensus of Forum Hosts agrees this is opinion, analysis, and speculation about future events.