HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Minnesota National Guard ...

Mon Apr 12, 2021, 09:58 AM

Minnesota National Guard deployed after protests over the police killing of a man during a traffic

Source: cnn

By Keith Allen, Adrienne Broaddus, Hollie Silverman and Joe Sutton, CNN

Updated 9:00 AM ET, Mon April 12, 2021

(CNN)Hundreds of people protested Sunday night after a Black man in Minnesota was shot by a police officer and died following a traffic stop.

The shooting happened Sunday afternoon in Brooklyn Center, a Minneapolis suburb of about 30,000 people. The city is about 10 miles from where former police officer Derek Chauvin is on trial for the killing of another Black man, George Floyd.

Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz identified the man killed in Sunday's incident as Daunte Wright.

Around 2 p.m. local time (3 p.m. ET), police said they were trying to take a man into custody after learning during a traffic stop that he had outstanding warrants.

The man got back into his vehicle, and an officer shot him, police said. The man then drove several blocks before striking another vehicle, police said.

Brooklyn Center Police Chief Tim Gannon said police and medical personnel attempted life-saving measures following the crash, but the man died at the scene.....................

Read more: https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/12/us/brooklyn-center-minnesota-police-shooting/index.html?cid=external-feeds_iluminar_newsbreak

#Body camera footage of the incident exists, but has not yet been released, authorities said."

?s=20

?s=20
Daunte Wright, 20

11 replies, 1524 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 11 replies Author Time Post
Reply Minnesota National Guard deployed after protests over the police killing of a man during a traffic (Original post)
riversedge Apr 12 OP
DallasNE Apr 12 #1
rockfordfile Apr 12 #2
blueinredohio Apr 12 #3
stillcool Apr 12 #4
IronLionZion Apr 12 #5
progree Apr 12 #6
progree Apr 12 #7
The Jungle 1 Apr 12 #8
Marthe48 Apr 12 #9
AntiFascist Apr 12 #10
Corgigal Apr 12 #11

Response to riversedge (Original post)

Mon Apr 12, 2021, 10:30 AM

1. Not A Good Weekend For Police Brutality As There Were 4 Incidents Reported

In Virginia an Army LT. was pulled over for paper plates with the police pulling out guns. No shots fired.

In Texas a 16 year old fueled an ATV he was driving and a police officer asked to see his ID, which he gave and the office immediately said he was under arrest and when the youth turned his back on the aggressive officer the officer sucker punched him, then jumped on top of him and continued to punch him. After being booked for resisting an officer he was released to his parents.

Then there was this incident near Minneapolis where the officer pulled the 20-year old over for having air fresheners dangling from his rear view mirror. Police shot him and he later died.

I don't recall the details of the other case where a black man was pulled over for a traffic stop and the police shot and killed him. Just too many to keep everything straight.

And there was the report of the so-called Antifa member in Washington that police said was killed in an exchange of gun fire. It turns out that while he had a gun it was still in his pocket will a fully loaded magazine. In other words, the weapon had not been fired.

Things have gotten totally out of control.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Apr 12, 2021, 10:47 AM

2. Why didn't they just taser him?

Reply to this post

Response to rockfordfile (Reply #2)

Mon Apr 12, 2021, 10:58 AM

3. That's what I can't figure out.

Why they just had to have the tasers but don't use them. And if he had warrants cops couldn't let it go and pick him up at his house?

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 12, 2021, 11:21 AM

4. the only reason the kid is dead...

is because a cop wanted to kill a black person.

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 12, 2021, 12:34 PM

5. I used to believe Minnesota was liberal

not this shit again

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 12, 2021, 01:24 PM

6. Some more background and detail, also looting last night, 20 stores damaged

Protesters Clash With Police In Brooklyn Center After Deadly Officer-Involved Shooting (MN)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/10142727465

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 12, 2021, 02:19 PM

7. She meant to use her taser but shot him with her real gun - short video clip

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2021/04/12/holy-st-i-just-shot-him-chief-believes-brooklyn-center-officer-meant-to-use-taser-in-fatal-shooting-of-daunte-wright/

The officer whose body camera footage was shown pulls out a gun while shouting “Taser.”

After firing the gun, the officer says, “Holy s**t, I just shot him.”

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 12, 2021, 09:38 PM

8. Why has she not been fired

That is a huge mistake. Can her ass.

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 12, 2021, 10:14 PM

9. People keep dying

In spite of protests, in spite of our speaking out, black people keep dying.

How useless is a cop that can't tell the difference between a taser and a gun? How lame is a police department that offers a mixup as an excuse for that young man being killed on the street?

MSNBC was covering the protests and some of the people who got close to the reporter (Ron Allen) said bad words, so they cut away. I didn't hear the bad words. I heard the anger and helplessness in their voices.

I'm sick of scared police patrolling the streets and shooting because they are scared, angry, or stupid.

I hope the officer who murdered Mr. Wright is fired and pulls no benefits.

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 12, 2021, 10:21 PM

10. Is this not a clear case of manslaughter?

The officer needs to be charged and put on trial.

Also, it was not an "accidental discharge". That is pure bullshit!

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 12, 2021, 10:36 PM

11. Should have let him go,

called it in and pick him up at moms house in an hour. It wasn’t a active crime. It’s why they have radios.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread