HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Covid-19 deaths are acce...

Tue Apr 20, 2021, 11:44 AM

Covid-19 deaths are accelerating, WHO warns, as world records most cases ever in a single week

Source: CNN

(CNN) -- Covid-19 infections have been rising at an alarming rate for eight consecutive weeks, the World Health Organization (WHO) has warned, as the virus sweeps unabated through hotspots in several corners of the globe.

More than 5.2 million new cases were recorded last week -- the most in a single week since the pandemic began -- WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said during a news briefing in Geneva on Monday.

Deaths also increased for the fifth straight week, he said, with the pandemic now officially claiming more than 3 million lives.

And Tedros warned that the pace of the pandemic is accelerating, even as some countries tout their own improved vaccination programs.

Read more: https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/20/europe/who-global-covid-cases-rise-intl/index.html

I hate wearing a mask and plastic gloves all the time when I go out..I also hate staying at home most of
the time and spending a lot of time cleaning the house and sorting out stuff, and putting the stuff over here and over there. Then I throw out the "stuff" later..I also hate not seeing my friends and family in person and spending so much time on the phone..I also hate being at home alone, and not having anyone over for any reason.

.But.... I want you to know this: I hate being in the hospital on a breathing tube...much more..I've been there and done that, and will avoid that as much as possible.

11 replies, 1559 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 11 replies Author Time Post
Reply Covid-19 deaths are accelerating, WHO warns, as world records most cases ever in a single week (Original post)
Stuart G Apr 20 OP
IronLionZion Apr 20 #1
Stuart G Apr 20 #2
IronLionZion Apr 20 #3
DBoon Apr 20 #4
IronLionZion Apr 20 #6
caraher Apr 20 #9
bucolic_frolic Apr 20 #5
secondwind Apr 20 #7
Stuart G Apr 20 #11
BigmanPigman Apr 20 #8
Delphinus Apr 20 #10

Response to Stuart G (Original post)

Tue Apr 20, 2021, 12:01 PM

1. Lots of people are fed up with lockdowns/masks and ignoring the guidance

masks indoors are the important piece but some folks still resist.

The US leads the world in vaccinations (thank you Biden administration) but it's difficult in some countries like India that have larger populations and limited purchasing power.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to IronLionZion (Reply #1)

Tue Apr 20, 2021, 12:04 PM

2. Great point, "...masks indoors are the important piece but some folks still resist"

Reply to this post

Response to Stuart G (Reply #2)

Tue Apr 20, 2021, 12:21 PM

3. Oh yeah, people have been having indoor parties, weddings, prayer services. etc.

In India, it's similar to the US where the more conservative and macho types are resisting the guidelines claiming they're fed up and won't live in fear.

Also, India spaces out their shots around 2 months apart because reasons. So a lot can happen in those 2 months where people are not as immune as they might like to believe. For the US, it's 3-4 weeks apart.

Reply to this post

Response to IronLionZion (Reply #3)

Tue Apr 20, 2021, 12:36 PM

4. They won't live in fear

instead they will die in agony

Reply to this post

Response to DBoon (Reply #4)

Tue Apr 20, 2021, 01:08 PM

6. Or infect someone else

It's hot right now there, so a lot of stuff happens in air conditioned indoor areas.

Reply to this post

Response to IronLionZion (Reply #3)

Tue Apr 20, 2021, 05:28 PM

9. 2 months might be the wiser move

If it gives more people first shots it makes sense as a public health measure - some immunity for all sooner probably saves more lives than more immunity for some sooner but no immunity for others.

The 3 week/4 week times are what they used in the trials, but there's not really enough information to know whether that timing produces optimum results for an individual.

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 20, 2021, 12:49 PM

5. Peak Hoomans

Mother Nature is pissed

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 20, 2021, 01:17 PM

7. Am wondering if we will ever see the end of this.. I just had a talk with my favorite niece, who

lives in California..

She and her husband are not planning to get vaccinated. I just DO NOT understand this way of thinking.
I tried to convince her, but she is not interested. She said it's her body and her choice.

Good luck, then.

Reply to this post

Response to secondwind (Reply #7)

Tue Apr 20, 2021, 05:54 PM

11. Stupid is what "Stupid Is"...Nice and husband are ...."VERY STUPID"

In 1955 when Jonas Salk perfected the polio vaccine, there was none of this...NONE AT ALL...Someone
at my day camp got polio and all of us at the camp got vaccinated as soon as the vaccine was available
in my neighborhood or wherever...(don't remember exactly where I got vaccinated) ...

.........YES, STUPID IS STUPID...THESE PEOPLE ARE "VERY STUPID"....

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 20, 2021, 05:23 PM

8. I've been watching Worldometers charts

and this 4th wave of new cases around the world has finally surpassed the 3rd wave. These variants are brutal.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 20, 2021, 05:30 PM

10. Your last sentence ...

says it all.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread