HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Kansas Gov. Kelly vetoes ...

Fri Apr 23, 2021, 11:37 PM

Kansas Gov. Kelly vetoes GOP election bills, says they're 'designed to disenfranchise'

Source: Kansas City Star

Kansas Gov. Laura Kelly vetoed two election bills Friday, one that would tighten advance mailing rules and another that sought to prevent the executive and judicial branches from altering election laws.

Kelly, a Democrat who had been silent about the changes proposed by the GOP supermajority, issued a statement labeling them as “voter suppression.”

“This...is a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist. It is designed to disenfranchise Kansans, making it difficult for them to participate in the democratic process, not to stop voter fraud,” Kelly said.

The measures, House Bill 2332 and House Bill 2183, are part of a nationwide Republican effort to restrict ballot access following baseless claims of voter fraud in the 2020 election.

Read more: https://www.kansascity.com/news/politics-government/election/article250898544.html

6 replies, 2053 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Kansas Gov. Kelly vetoes GOP election bills, says they're 'designed to disenfranchise' (Original post)
brooklynite Apr 23 OP
MuseRider Apr 23 #1
wyn borkins Apr 24 #2
MuseRider Apr 24 #5
DFW Apr 24 #3
MuseRider Apr 24 #4
DFW Apr 24 #6

Response to brooklynite (Original post)

Fri Apr 23, 2021, 11:46 PM

1. She also vetoed the anti trans

legislation this week. I have lists if anyone wants to make calls, I doubt they even pay attention to us who live here but....as a good friend of ours said, she has likely paved her way to a loss next election but she is doing the right thing anyway. She is a good person and I am so appreciative of her work.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to MuseRider (Reply #1)

Sat Apr 24, 2021, 02:00 AM

2. "A Good Person - Doing the Right Thing"

I'm not a Kansan, but I totally agree with Kansas Governor Laura Kelly's veto(s), as well as with your 31,144th (!).

Reply to this post

Response to wyn borkins (Reply #2)

Sat Apr 24, 2021, 09:20 AM

5. She is

and thank you. Welcome to DU!

Reply to this post

Response to brooklynite (Original post)

Sat Apr 24, 2021, 08:29 AM

3. I think she deserves a contribution next election

Why should a Texan care? Well, the Kochs are from Kansas, and I‘m sure they have poured enough money into the campaign of our own horrible Republican governor, so I think it‘s only fair.

Reply to this post

Response to DFW (Reply #3)

Sat Apr 24, 2021, 09:17 AM

4. Thanks!

You are right, the Kochs have ruined more places than just Kansas. Thank you. She is a good person. Her husband used to be my doctor until he retired. I did door to door for her when she ran for city council oh so many years ago. Our kids went to school together and although I cannot say I know her well I do know her. She will always do the best thing for Kansas and Kansans. Thank you so much.

Reply to this post

Response to MuseRider (Reply #4)

Sat Apr 24, 2021, 09:32 AM

6. My pleasure!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread