HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » As Covid-19 Devastates In...

Sat Apr 24, 2021, 08:04 AM

As Covid-19 Devastates India, Deaths Go Undercounted

Source: NY Times

NEW DELHI — India’s coronavirus second wave is rapidly sliding into a devastating crisis, with hospitals unbearably full, oxygen supplies running low, desperate people dying in line waiting to see doctors — and mounting evidence that the actual death toll is far higher than officially reported.

Each day, the government reports more than 300,000 new infections, a world record, and India is now seeing more new infections than any other country by far, almost half of all new cases in a global surge.

But experts say those numbers, however staggering, represent just a fraction of the real reach of the virus’s spread, which has thrown this country into emergency mode. Millions of people refuse to even step outside — their fear of catching the virus is that extreme. Accounts from around the country tell of the sick being left to gasp for air as they wait at chaotic hospitals that are running out of lifesaving oxygen.

“It’s a complete massacre of data,” said Bhramar Mukherjee, an epidemiologist at the University of Michigan who has been following India closely. “From all the modeling we’ve done, we believe the true number of deaths is two to five times what is being reported.”

Read more: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/24/world/asia/india-coronavirus-deaths.html?smid=url-share

20 replies, 1610 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to al bupp (Original post)

Sat Apr 24, 2021, 08:14 AM

1. The article says the real number is 2 to 5 times the number of deaths being reported.

That brings it right around the number of USA deaths.

I am horrified for the people of India. I am more horrified for us, with our money and our resources.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Scrivener7 (Reply #1)

Sat Apr 24, 2021, 08:21 AM

2. We should be concerned

It's the explosive growth of the pandemic in places like India & Brazil which fuel continued mutations on the virus, that as the article says, could "outflank" vaccination efforts around the world.

Reply to this post

Response to al bupp (Reply #2)

Sat Apr 24, 2021, 08:23 AM

3. Definitely. And the variants coming from the USA prove that, too.

I believe Biden said that we will be sending vaccines to places that need them once the majority of Americans are vaccinated. I am sure India is on that list. So there's that at least.

Reply to this post

Response to Scrivener7 (Reply #3)

Sat Apr 24, 2021, 06:42 PM

17. maybe they outta start soon if

if the tRump death cult didn't get the numbers up

Reply to this post

Response to Scrivener7 (Reply #1)

Sat Apr 24, 2021, 09:56 AM

6. They reported 2600 dead yesterday

5 times that is 13,000. In one day

Reply to this post

Sat Apr 24, 2021, 09:18 AM

4. Wonder what the vaccine situation is in India?

Reply to this post

Response to BradBo (Reply #4)

Sat Apr 24, 2021, 09:36 AM

5. They are sending vaccines to other countries and the PM

made no plans to vaccinate the country.

Reply to this post

Response to BradBo (Reply #4)

Sat Apr 24, 2021, 01:42 PM

11. As of yesterday, over 132 million vaccinated (out of 1.2 billion population)

India has an odd way of putting commas in numbers, but I've seen this elsewhere, so maybe the way we do ours is odd to them as well.

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/coronavirus-india-live-updates-indias-cumulative-covid-19-vaccination-coverage-exceeds-13-23-crores-2419969

Reply to this post

Response to OnlinePoker (Reply #11)

Sat Apr 24, 2021, 07:07 PM

18. are the numbers still the same like if they have 12,00,000.

is that the same as 1, 200,000 ?

Reply to this post

Response to JI7 (Reply #18)

Sat Apr 24, 2021, 11:03 PM

20. That's the way I've seen it.

I don't know why it's done like that, but it's pretty consistent on Indian news outlets I've looked at.

Reply to this post

Sat Apr 24, 2021, 11:12 AM

7. Modi is India's Trump.

Reply to this post

Sat Apr 24, 2021, 11:19 AM

8. .

Reply to this post

Sat Apr 24, 2021, 11:56 AM

9. Modi making India Great Again

by slowing down delivery of supplies and vaccines to liberal states and cities that voted against him. Trumpier than Trump.

It's not a surprise that the pandemic is much worse in countries ruled by RW extremists.

Reply to this post

Sat Apr 24, 2021, 12:21 PM

10. Why isn't this getting any traction?

I’m certainly no medical expert - AND I don’t even trust the ones on DU who try to act like they are experts because you just never know - but why isn’t this new nasal spray treatment getting any more attention?

There are several in production and trials. I know Israel is using one. This link indicates now the UK and Canada have filed for emergency use. It just seems to me that if there’s any possibility of this helping, hell, let’s get it going!!!!

https://www.indiatoday.in/amp/coronavirus-outbreak/story/covid-19-sanotize-files-for-emergency-approval-in-uk-canada-for-its-nasal-spray-treatment-1794286-2021-04-23

Reply to this post

Sat Apr 24, 2021, 04:09 PM

12. I know over a year ago that India would likely be the worst

given the crowded conditions, the staggering poverty, and the lack of infrastructure to cope with a large outbreak. I knew it would be bad here because of a de facto lack of an executive branch to coordinate resources and the colossal mess our health care delivery system has become so rich men can get richer. But we are in great shape compared to India.

BBC has good reporting on this. https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/us is also a decent source, although they appear to be downplaying it a bit for obvious reasons.

Reply to this post

Response to Warpy (Reply #12)

Sat Apr 24, 2021, 05:11 PM

13. India is in bad shape also becsuse of it's leadership

the poverty makes it worse to deal with compared to here once we got new leadership.

But the problem happened becsuse of the trump type trash that is pm.

Reply to this post

Response to JI7 (Reply #13)

Sat Apr 24, 2021, 05:54 PM

14. You're right, Modi's main pollicy position is extreme bigotry

and everything else is considered unimportant to a Man of Great Vision. IOW, asshole.

So yes, that factors in, as well. However, their lack of basic sanitation infrastructure in so many areas will spread this thing even farther than an ignorant bigot who ignores all the problems can.

It makes me beyond sad, I've worked with so many fine people from thee over the years.

Reply to this post

Response to Warpy (Reply #14)

Sat Apr 24, 2021, 05:58 PM

15. This is spread through air mostly and MOdi is having rallies

and other gatherings.

Modi is 100 percent to blame for this.

Reply to this post

Response to JI7 (Reply #15)

Sat Apr 24, 2021, 06:09 PM

16. Yeah, another malignant narcissist who lives on adulation

Don't forget that it passes through the digestive system and can persist there after the pulmonary infection has passed. The poorest areas have public defecation in any open area and you can bet it will spread that way, too. That's what I meant about sanitary infrastructure.

Reply to this post

Sat Apr 24, 2021, 08:13 PM

19. They are running out of wood for cremation

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread