HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » 'Nomadland' wins best pic...

Mon Apr 26, 2021, 07:02 AM

'Nomadland' wins best picture as Hollywood looks to rebound from pandemic

Source: Los Angeles Times

Capping a year that few in Hollywood will forget, much as they might want to, the 93rd Oscars ceremony Sunday night delivered an impassioned message that, while the movies may be down, they are far from out.

As expected, the motion picture academy gave the best picture prize to director Chloé Zhao’s “Nomadland,” a quietly poetic character study about economically displaced Americans. The film had earned acclaim since its debut at September’s Venice Film Festival, and its strong showing — which also included a historic win for Zhao, who became the first woman of color to win the directing prize — had been widely predicted.

“I have always found goodness in the people I met, everywhere I went in the world,” Zhao said, accepting the directing award. “This is for anyone who had the faith and the courage to hold on to the goodness in themselves and to hold on to the goodness in each other, no matter how difficult it is to do that.”

A timely look at vulnerable older Americans trying to survive on the country’s margins, “Nomadland” prevailed over contenders that grappled with similarly weighty themes, including emotional dramas such as “Minari” and “The Father,” the Me Too-inflected thriller “Promising Young Woman” as well as politically charged period pieces such as “The Trial of the Chicago 7" and “Judas and the Black Messiah.”

Read more: https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/movies/story/2021-04-25/oscars-2021-key-takeaways-diversity-pandemic-covid

15 replies, 1976 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to brooklynite (Original post)

Mon Apr 26, 2021, 09:30 AM

1. Frances McDormand won best actress.

She is amazing. Face acting at its finest.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to twodogsbarking (Reply #1)

Mon Apr 26, 2021, 06:54 PM

9. They could have spread the wealth. She JUST got one in 2018.

And it was her 3rd.

In Nomadland, I felt there was too much "forlorn staring into the middle distance without talking".

She's magic, but it wasn't her best work.

Reply to this post

Response to maxsolomon (Reply #9)

Tue Apr 27, 2021, 07:57 AM

10. I don't think the objective is to spread it around.

Reply to this post

Response to twodogsbarking (Reply #10)

Tue Apr 27, 2021, 11:50 AM

12. LOL, OK. It's the Oscars.

There is no objective standard for judging the performances.

The choice is by definition subjective, and "spreading it around" is just as valid a rationale as whether that actor is overdue, or simply beloved, or the performance makes a political statement, etc.

Streep doesn't win every time she's nominated.

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 26, 2021, 09:52 AM

2. I loved this movie,,,, n/t

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 26, 2021, 10:09 AM

3. Loved it.

My favorite words from last night...

"People at birth are entirely good."

"I have always found goodness in the people I've met everywhere I went in the world.
So this is for anyone who has the faith and the courage to hold on to the goodness in themselves and hold on to the goodness in each other no matter how difficult it is to do that."

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 26, 2021, 12:59 PM

4. I'd love to see this film,

but I refuse to pay $19.99 to stream a movie once.

Reply to this post

Response to rsdsharp (Reply #4)

Mon Apr 26, 2021, 01:32 PM

5. It's streaming on Hulu (I think you can score a free trial).

I pay $5.99 a month for the ad-supported plan. The movies only show ads at the beginning (unlike the TV shows, where ads are shown a few times during episodes).

Reply to this post

Response to demmiblue (Reply #5)

Mon Apr 26, 2021, 02:21 PM

6. I have Hulu. The price was $19.99 to "rent."

It may be lower now, but when I looked it cost the price of a DVD to watch once.

Reply to this post

Response to rsdsharp (Reply #6)

Mon Apr 26, 2021, 02:42 PM

7. Strange, I watched it several weeks ago without any additional charge.

And I just tried again... no additional charge.

Reply to this post

Response to rsdsharp (Reply #6)

Mon Apr 26, 2021, 02:48 PM

8. Are you sure that you're on Hulu, not Amazon?

Amazon will charge you a rental fee. If you subscribe directly to Hulu, then it should be less.

BTW, in NYC, I would have to pay $20 to see it in the theater.

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 27, 2021, 10:41 AM

11. I was impressed with how many great movies were released this year.

Personally, I liked The Father, Minari and Sound of Metal all more than Nomadland, and I really liked Nomadland. I was pulling for Carey Mulligan in the best actor in female role award, but really any of the nominees deserved the award. All of their performances were great.

The shorts were amazing also. If you have not seen them yet, watch both The Present and Two Distant Strangers in the live action short category. I think I cried through about half of If Anything Happens I Love You in the Animated short category.

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 27, 2021, 03:13 PM

13. Nomadland was my favorite for best picture, Frances McDormand was my

favorite for best actress, and Chloé Zhao was my favorite for best director.

I loved this movie, having been a Nomad, by choice, several times during my lifetime. I spent time around campfires in Quartzsite for parts of a few winters. My only criticism is that the film did not spend time showing folks who were Nomads for the sheer fun of traveling, seeing new places, and meeting new people.

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 27, 2021, 03:44 PM

14. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I'm reading Nomadland by Jessica Bruner

Book club read. Actually I’m listening. The author joined the nomads to do research the book has lots of info on the lifestyle. My 10 yr old grandson put TicToc on my phone so now I occasionally check it out.
So many people living and posting from their RV’s, old school buses, vans, cars. Many of the vehicles are beautiful inside - very artistic. Lots of very young people doing this too.

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 29, 2021, 12:41 AM

15. My daughter was so excited about her winning. Zhao is a grad from Mt. Holyoke College and

my daughter is also an alum. Kudos to Mt. Holyoke!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread