HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Biden administration expe...

Wed Apr 28, 2021, 12:26 PM

Biden administration expected to announce plan to ban menthol cigarettes

Source: Washington Post

The Biden administration is expected to announce this week that it will propose a ban on menthol cigarettes, an action urgently sought by tobacco opponents and civil rights groups that say African Americans have been disproportionately hurt by the industry’s aggressive targeting of Black communities.

The administration also is poised to say it will seek to ban menthol and other flavors in mass-produced cigars, including small cigars popular with young people, according to administration officials familiar with the situation who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they are not authorized to discuss it publicly.

It could be years before such bans would take effect, but the administration’s announcement is likely to be hailed by antismoking organizations as a critical and long-overdue step in curbing tobacco use and improving public health. Despite sharp declines in smoking in recent years, tobacco use remains a leading source of illness and death in the United States and worldwide, especially among people of color.

Antismoking groups have been frustrated for years by Washington’s inaction on menthol cigarettes and have turned to states and localities to request bans, with mixed success. They became more optimistic about a possible federal ban in recent months amid President Biden’s repeated vows to reduce health disparities made glaringly obvious by the coronavirus pandemic, and efforts by the Black Lives Matter movement to focus on institutionalized racism.

Read more: https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/04/28/ban-on-menthol-cigarettes/

32 replies, 2982 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 32 replies Author Time Post
Reply Biden administration expected to announce plan to ban menthol cigarettes (Original post)
Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin Apr 28 OP
LuvLoogie Apr 28 #1
FirstLight Apr 28 #2
cstanleytech Apr 28 #3
marble falls Apr 28 #9
cstanleytech Apr 28 #14
IronLionZion Apr 28 #4
cinematicdiversions Apr 28 #21
Marrah_Goodman Apr 28 #26
Marcuse Apr 28 #5
SergeStorms Apr 28 #6
area51 Apr 28 #20
left-of-center2012 Apr 28 #7
SergeStorms Apr 29 #27
Rhiannon12866 Apr 29 #28
Warpy Apr 28 #8
OneCrazyDiamond Apr 28 #12
Talitha Apr 28 #10
louis-t Apr 28 #11
William Gustafson Apr 28 #22
ThingsGottaChange Apr 28 #13
LanternWaste Apr 28 #15
Hugh_Lebowski Apr 28 #24
Demsrule86 Apr 28 #16
Beringia Apr 28 #17
ForgoTheConsequence Apr 28 #18
RobinA Apr 28 #19
Zeitghost Apr 28 #23
Marrah_Goodman Apr 28 #25
JanMichael Apr 29 #29
Withywindle Apr 29 #30
TexasBushwhacker Apr 29 #31
madville Apr 29 #32

Response to Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin (Original post)

Wed Apr 28, 2021, 01:31 PM

1. That would be silly.

Pipe and water pipe tobacco is often flavored as well.

Don't smoke.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Apr 28, 2021, 02:19 PM

2. sorry, this is silly

if the complaint is that they advertize disproportionately, then change the way they advertize. You aren't going to get people to stop smoking by banning cigarettes. That's like prohibition all over again...

I think sometimes the government doesn't need to be our parent

Reply to this post

Wed Apr 28, 2021, 02:33 PM

3. Not a supporter of smoking at all but I am not sure if such a ban will survive the inevitable

lawsuits that will probably be filed.

Reply to this post

Response to cstanleytech (Reply #3)

Wed Apr 28, 2021, 05:17 PM

9. What's the argument to be made? If the government can regulate and ban substances, why can't ...

... they ban menthol as an additive to tobacco?

Reply to this post

Response to marble falls (Reply #9)

Wed Apr 28, 2021, 06:46 PM

14. The argument will probably be that it's something for Comgress to decide.

Reply to this post

Wed Apr 28, 2021, 02:49 PM

4. Congresspeople have vaped on the Capitol floor

vapes are often flavored.

Reply to this post

Response to IronLionZion (Reply #4)

Wed Apr 28, 2021, 09:45 PM

21. Vapes simply don't cause the same issues as cigarettes.

That said, even though I don't smoke cigarettes, I cannot imagine this is really a good idea. I have the feeling the African American community that this is purporting to help will be less than thrilled. Not the activists, mind you, but the people on the ground.

The African American community also has a serious problem with obesity and diabetes, Perhaps there are some foods that should be banned next that are targeted to said community. You can see how well this might go over.

Reply to this post

Response to IronLionZion (Reply #4)

Wed Apr 28, 2021, 11:22 PM

26. I have to make my own vape juice because my two states are being dumb

They ran a lot of good small businesses out of business. Apparently they think once you hit 18 you just like things that taste like shit. This all stemmed from teenagers buying bootleg THC pods. It is infuriating. I save a ton by making my own, but I miss those local businesses I used to go into.

Reply to this post

Wed Apr 28, 2021, 04:06 PM

5. At least logroll it with removing the federal ban on cannabis

Reply to this post

Wed Apr 28, 2021, 04:28 PM

6. I wouldn't recommend....

this being a hill the Biden administration wants to die on. There are much more important issues to get done before I'd choose this one. Just my two cents.

Reply to this post

Response to SergeStorms (Reply #6)

Wed Apr 28, 2021, 09:23 PM

20. +1 n/t

Reply to this post

Wed Apr 28, 2021, 04:29 PM

7. I'm an old white guy who smoked menthol cigarettes for 30 years

Fortunately I quit in 1992.

I liked the taste. Never saw it as racist.

Reply to this post

Response to left-of-center2012 (Reply #7)

Thu Apr 29, 2021, 12:19 AM

27. Back in the 60s....

menthols were looked upon as "cool" by those of us who smoked pot. We smoked them to cool our throats down after smoking crappy Mexican ditch weed. There was a lot of bad pot around back then, but you could buy a pound of it for $180. You had to smoke half an ounce to get high, but we thought we were the coolest dudes in two shoes back then. The folly of youth.

Reply to this post

Response to SergeStorms (Reply #27)

Thu Apr 29, 2021, 12:54 AM

28. When I started smoking in my 20s, I smoked menthol cigarettes

And I'm as pale as you can get. At work, I went through the Smokenders program when it was offered and the way it worked was to switch to lower and lower nicotine cigarettes and if you smoked menthol, you switched to "regular" and vice versa. So what happened was that I switched to "regulars" and my friend/coworker who was my "partner" in the program switched from "regular" to menthol. Neither one of us quit.

Reply to this post

Wed Apr 28, 2021, 04:41 PM

8. This has to happen via the ATF

Tobacco products are not under the Pure Food and Drug Act and not under the auspices of the FDA or the USDA.

It's a shame, menthol butts have always been heavily marketed to black folks and it's what hooks the kids.

Reply to this post

Response to Warpy (Reply #8)

Wed Apr 28, 2021, 06:21 PM

12. Check Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act

Our last real President signed it in 09.

Reply to this post

Wed Apr 28, 2021, 06:12 PM

10. You've got to be kidding.

Ok, I was ready for a good laugh from The Onion.
But damn, it's a WAPO article!

For the record, I'm white and quit smoking a bit over 30 years ago. But when I smoked, it was always Kool or Salem - because regular cigarettes tasted really nasty to me.

What's next, are they going to stop companies from making BBQ pork rinds?
The unflavored ones are just as nasty tasting as regular cigarettes used to be.

Reply to this post

Wed Apr 28, 2021, 06:16 PM

11. Millions of MAGATS suddenly take up smoking to protest.

Reply to this post

Response to louis-t (Reply #11)

Wed Apr 28, 2021, 10:00 PM

22. Wondering if that is his plan all along...

Tell the MAGAt's they can't do something, they increase doing it just to show that they own the "LIBS"... while killing themselves with menthol cigs.... Ingenious!!! and they say Joe is mental.... LOL!

Reply to this post

Wed Apr 28, 2021, 06:45 PM

13. Lots of this in our faces lately

Sounds more like "Well, since we won't keep the cops from killing unarmed, innocent blacks, we'll show how much we care about their health by saving them from menthol cigarettes." Of course, smoking is not good. But, I'd like to see actual stats of how many blacks vs whites have died from menthol cigarettes.

Targeted advertising? If they didn't have ads with blacks in them they would be accused of being racist! I used to go to Jazz and Blues festivals. I've been given free cigs on the streets. Pretty sure I saw most of the ads blacks did. Yes, I'm white and I like menthol cigarettes because they taste better. When I started, many years ago, I was targeted with how safe they were.

I now know they are NOT safe. But, until they are illegal, it's a person's choice if they want to smoke or not. Sounds like they are assuming black people are not able to make informed decisions on their own. Which takes us back to racist.

Reply to this post

Response to ThingsGottaChange (Reply #13)

Wed Apr 28, 2021, 06:55 PM

15. Less an assumption on their part, and more an inference on yours.

"Sounds like they are assuming black people are not"

Less an assumption on their part, and more an inference on yours. As an aside, your inference is also a logical fallacy... i.e., It Does Not Follow.

Reply to this post

Response to LanternWaste (Reply #15)

Wed Apr 28, 2021, 11:17 PM

24. Just because an assertion meets the criteria of logical fallacy does not make it untrue

I mean, if we're going to debate 'logic'

Reply to this post

Wed Apr 28, 2021, 07:42 PM

16. That is stupid. If people want to smoke, it is up to them.

Reply to this post

Wed Apr 28, 2021, 08:10 PM

17. Why pick on Menthol, Geez

Reply to this post

Wed Apr 28, 2021, 08:33 PM

18. The Congressional Black Caucus opposed this in 2020.

Congress shouldn’t “tell full-grown adults, those over 21, what they can and cannot do with a legal product,” said Rep. A. Donald McEachin (D-Va.), a member of the Congressional Black Caucus, who also cited concerns about policing communities of color.

https://khn.org/morning-breakout/fate-of-menthol-flavor-ban-unclear-as-some-democrats-argue-that-it-unfairly-targets-african-americans/

This just gives the police more reason to harass people.

Reply to this post

Wed Apr 28, 2021, 08:47 PM

19. Insane

They, Democrats, propose to ban a flavor of cigarette that is favored by, among many others, a specific ethnic group? And they are banning it specifically because that ethnic group favors (supposedly) it? That’s beyond even Bizarro World.

Reply to this post

Wed Apr 28, 2021, 10:10 PM

23. Everyone is targeted by tobacco advertising

Everyone is targeted by tobacco advertising, they advertise Menthol smokes in neighborhoods where they are popular. The idea that African Americans are extra susceptible to this advertising or somehow can't help themselves is racist on its face. Regulate all tobacco products across the board evenly.

Reply to this post

Wed Apr 28, 2021, 11:19 PM

25. STUPID

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 29, 2021, 05:44 PM

29. Dumb. Dumb. DUMB. nt

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 29, 2021, 06:24 PM

30. If some red-state Democrats need to pick a Biden policy to oppose to look "bipartisan"

this is their perfect opportunity.

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 29, 2021, 07:03 PM

31. Idiotic

If they want to start banning tobacco additives, why don't they start with some of the truly harmful ones:

Cocoa - Not only is it a flavor that appeals to young smokers, it's a bronchodilator, helping the smoke get deeper into the lungs.

Ammonia - Acts as a free-basing agent for nicotine, giving smokers a faster "kick" and thus, making it more addictive.

Eugenol - like menthol, eugenol acts as a local anesthetic, making it easier to smoke without coughing. It's also responsible for the spicy flavor of cloves.

That's just 3 of the additives. There are actually hundreds.

Then there's the fact that cigarettes are pretty much made from the leftovers if the tobacco plant. The good tobacco leaves are used for cigars and fine pipe tobacco. Cigarettes are made from tobacco SPAM called "sheet tobacco".

Sheet Tobacco

Cigarette manufacturers reconstitute bits of leftover tobacco plant stems, stalks, scraps, collected dust, and floor sweepings into an ingredient that can be added back into the final cigarette product.

The process involves grinding all of the above materials, extracting the nicotine from them, and then adding glue, fillers, chemicals, and other agents to form a slurry. The mixture is then pressed into a sheet, puffed up, and the extracted nicotine is sprayed on it. From there, it is ground up once again into fine curls that are incorporated into cigarettes in the desired amount.

So when you smoke cigarettes made from sheet tobacco, you're smoking tobacco waste plus all the glue and chemicals they use to put it all back together. Yummo!

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 29, 2021, 07:51 PM

32. They already make sprays to flavor cigarettes

A menthol flavored spray will become very popular at all the gas stations. People will be able to easily flavor regular cigarettes, they sell the sprays already.

https://www.leafonly.com/hookah-shisha-tobacco-leaves/tobacco-accessories/tobacco-flavoring-menthol

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread