HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Biden: Schools should 'pr...

Fri Apr 30, 2021, 09:18 AM

Biden: Schools should 'probably all be open' in the fall

Source: The Hill

President Biden in an interview that aired Friday said that schools should all be open for five days a week in-person learning in the fall despite the fact that children likely will not be vaccinated by then.

“Based on the science and the CDC, they should probably all be open,” Biden said in an interview that aired on NBC's “Today.”

“There’s not overwhelming evidence there’s much of a transmission among these people, young people," Biden added.

Read more: https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/551107-biden-on-schools-being-open-5-days-a-week-in-fall-they-should

34 replies, 1304 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 34 replies Author Time Post
Reply Biden: Schools should 'probably all be open' in the fall (Original post)
brooklynite Apr 30 OP
VarryOn Apr 30 #1
Orrex Apr 30 #16
VarryOn Apr 30 #32
alphafemale Apr 30 #33
AZLD4Candidate Apr 30 #2
BoringUsername Apr 30 #6
AZLD4Candidate Apr 30 #10
BoringUsername Apr 30 #21
BoringUsername Apr 30 #27
AZLD4Candidate Apr 30 #28
BoringUsername Apr 30 #29
greenjar_01 Apr 30 #3
BoringUsername Apr 30 #4
jcgoldie Apr 30 #5
BoringUsername Apr 30 #7
jcgoldie Apr 30 #9
AZLD4Candidate Apr 30 #13
BoringUsername Apr 30 #20
AZLD4Candidate Apr 30 #23
BoringUsername Apr 30 #24
AZLD4Candidate Apr 30 #25
BoringUsername Apr 30 #26
BoringUsername Apr 30 #22
jcgoldie Apr 30 #34
AZLD4Candidate Apr 30 #11
Orrex Apr 30 #17
Ace Rothstein Apr 30 #15
Elessar Zappa Apr 30 #18
BoringUsername Apr 30 #8
BumRushDaShow Apr 30 #14
BoringUsername Apr 30 #30
BumRushDaShow Apr 30 #31
AZLD4Candidate Apr 30 #12
onetexan Apr 30 #19

Response to brooklynite (Original post)

Fri Apr 30, 2021, 09:48 AM

1. They should be open now. Nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to VarryOn (Reply #1)

Fri Apr 30, 2021, 03:16 PM

16. My kids will not return to school until everyone in the school is vaccinated

Reply to this post

Response to Orrex (Reply #16)

Fri Apr 30, 2021, 07:25 PM

32. Schools need to allow that option...

My wife, a teacher, has a handful of students whose parents keep them home. They do, however, require more time to deal with than those who show up to school.

My wife and son have attended all year, and it's gone well.

Reply to this post

Response to Orrex (Reply #16)

Fri Apr 30, 2021, 08:39 PM

33. I think the people who realistically have that option should be able to exercise it.

If you have that broadband Internet and a great space and equipment for your kid/s GREAT!

So many kids in Internet deserts have lost an entire year. Just over a summer kids not in enriched environments lose so much instructional ground.

And kids old enough to have a job near graduation may be making $15 an hour in a warehouse and supporting their family.

There are going to be so many long term consequences from this.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 30, 2021, 10:22 AM

2. Opening schools in May is like starting the new school year on a Friday

Keep them closed and prepare for next term. Exactly what you think you will be able to do in 3-6 weeks left of the school year?

Reply to this post

Response to AZLD4Candidate (Reply #2)

Fri Apr 30, 2021, 11:52 AM

6. Well, I've seen them start school years off on a Friday before

That's not that big of deal. Not really related.

The issue here is switching gears this close to the end of the year would be more stress than it's worth. Confusing for kids and parents. Teachers would need to change their established plans for the last few weeks.

Reply to this post

Response to BoringUsername (Reply #6)

Fri Apr 30, 2021, 12:57 PM

10. I'm a teacher. Thank you for telling me what to do.

Please tell me your job so I can tell you what to do.

The Chairman of the Tohono O'odham Nation has declared everything closed on the Reservation due to COVID19. His name is Chairman Norris.

Take it up with him.

Reply to this post

Response to AZLD4Candidate (Reply #10)

Fri Apr 30, 2021, 05:46 PM

21. I was a teacher once and my husband is a teacher

Why so defensive? Not telling you what to do personally.

Reply to this post

Response to AZLD4Candidate (Reply #10)

Fri Apr 30, 2021, 06:26 PM

27. I don't think you noticed I was actually agreeing with you

About not changing things right now and just finishing the year off in the same way. Logistically, switching to full time in person with only a few weeks left wouldn't make sense. I was only pointing out that your analogy about not starting school year off on a Friday just doesn't make sense to me because they've had the first day of school be a Friday a bunch of times where I live. That's not a rule of thumb around here to not have the first day of school on a Friday. Maybe it is other places.

Reply to this post

Response to BoringUsername (Reply #27)

Fri Apr 30, 2021, 06:28 PM

28. I noticed, but you don't know my district. At least in mine, NO ONE would show up

Reply to this post

Response to AZLD4Candidate (Reply #28)

Fri Apr 30, 2021, 06:34 PM

29. Right. And that's why it didn't make sense to me

I understand now you explained it. 😀 Obviously, people are different about that in your area.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 30, 2021, 10:33 AM

3. Schools better damn well be open in the Fall

Hell or motherfucking high water.

Parents are fed up with this bullshit.

Reply to this post

Response to greenjar_01 (Reply #3)

Fri Apr 30, 2021, 11:46 AM

4. God damn right

This was a hard year. We can't keep doing this. The kids are getting behind in their education and parents are overwhelmed managing their work and kids at home learning at the same time.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 30, 2021, 11:50 AM

5. Parents are fed up with what "bullshit" exactly?

An international pandemic?

Reply to this post

Response to jcgoldie (Reply #5)

Fri Apr 30, 2021, 11:57 AM

7. You must not have school aged kids right now

Fed up with the kids doing school from home.

Reply to this post

Response to BoringUsername (Reply #7)

Fri Apr 30, 2021, 12:23 PM

9. Of course nobody wants kids home from school

But it certainly isn't "bullshit", it has been a necessary response to a national health crisis. It looks like vaccination has been even more successful at curtailing the threat than anticipated and as Biden said it appears schools should be open in the fall. Still "parents are fed up with this bullshit" seems a completely nonsensical statement that fails to appreciate the seriousness of the issue.

Reply to this post

Response to jcgoldie (Reply #9)

Fri Apr 30, 2021, 01:47 PM

13. Parents want their free babysitters back so they can neglect their duties as parents

and blame the school and the teachers for everything. The parents in my district that are screaming the loudest are the parents that are completely uninvolved in their children's lives.

This disease has proven that a lot of parents have abrogated their parental responsibilities and pawn it off on the school, then complain when their "angels" get in trouble or are failing. This virus has made parents into parents again and a lot don't like it. Children are great to have, but the responsibility of parenthood is always someone else's problem.

And it was the same in the four other countries I've taught in.

Reply to this post

Response to AZLD4Candidate (Reply #13)

Fri Apr 30, 2021, 05:40 PM

20. It's not about babysitting

It is about the kids getting a proper education and social opportunities for their age. My kid doesn't need a babysitter. He's too old for that. Parents are not equiped to be a teacher and work the job that provides for the family at the same time.

Reply to this post

Response to BoringUsername (Reply #20)

Fri Apr 30, 2021, 05:56 PM

23. "Parents are not equiped to be a teacher"

I'll remember that the next a parent comes in my (or others) classroom or send me an email telling me how to teach my class and what I need to teach in my class.

Reply to this post

Response to AZLD4Candidate (Reply #23)

Fri Apr 30, 2021, 05:58 PM

24. Please do

I would never tell a teacher how to teach their class. Sorry that you've got some annoying parents to deal with.

Reply to this post

Response to BoringUsername (Reply #24)

Fri Apr 30, 2021, 06:04 PM

25. Social Studies always get that because people think it's all facts and not anything else

When you start probing for interpretation and analyzing data, if students don't come the same conclusion their parents come to, I get phone calls, emails, and principal complaints.

Same in the four countries other than US I've taught in. To be honest, I had more academic freedom in International IGCSE/A-Level and IB schools in China than here in "free thought" USA.

Reply to this post

Response to AZLD4Candidate (Reply #25)

Fri Apr 30, 2021, 06:12 PM

26. Parents should respect the idea and opinions of their kids

They aren't copies of them. They shouldn't give you crap for that. That's ridiculous. I imagine it's the social studies and history teachers that get the most crap from parents because of the current political climate and Americans generally being too sensitive about someone not agreeing with them. I was involved with Math and Technology and my husband is Technology. Those areas don't get people all worked up.

Reply to this post

Response to jcgoldie (Reply #9)

Fri Apr 30, 2021, 05:49 PM

22. It isn't nonsensical to be fed up with the situation

It's been a whole year of this. It's not easy. People are suppose to just love this or something?

Reply to this post

Response to BoringUsername (Reply #22)

Fri Apr 30, 2021, 10:13 PM

34. It is complete nonsense

To post things like "Schools better damn well be open" in response to comments by President Biden... as if everyone in the world isn't going through inconveniences due to a pandemic. Gosh you poor parents who have to try to make your own children do schoolwork... what "bullshit".

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 30, 2021, 01:07 PM

11. So are us teachers, but we can always adjust and be the "free babysitters" parents think we are

As you so implied in my original response to this OP.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 30, 2021, 03:19 PM

17. I have two schoolage kids right now, and I am definitely fed up

Fed up with those who call for schools to be opened while the pandemic is still raging, in large measure because those same fools called for businesses and public venues to be opened very prematurely.

Parents who are fed up with the safety and well-being of their children are welcome to risk those children. Mine are doing quite well in the remote learning environment, thanks.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 30, 2021, 02:51 PM

15. I'm so glad my kids were able to go back in August.

Now they ended up at home from mid-Nov to mid-Jan but none of us would have been able to take a full year of e-learning.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 30, 2021, 04:30 PM

18. What "bullshit" are you referring to?

Teachers have a right to safety. They're not your personal babysitter.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 30, 2021, 12:04 PM

8. Wondering when they are going to approve 12 - 15 year olds for vaccine

I keep hearing it should be soon. Seems like if they approved them we could at least have middle school and high school students vaccinated by the fall. My youngest will be 12 by the end of June. Hoping it is approved soon and then he get it this summer.

Reply to this post

Response to BoringUsername (Reply #8)

Fri Apr 30, 2021, 02:00 PM

14. They are trialing in that age group right now

They are trying to determine the dosage amount since these are children (with a smaller body mass).

Children as young as 6 months old now in COVID-19 vaccine trials

The next stage of trials will involve placebo and treatment groups.

By Jason Kuang,Imtiyaz Delawala, and Allie Yang
April 27, 2021, 6:46 PM

As nearly 140 million American adults have received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine and we inch closer to herd immunity, vaccine makers Pfizer and Moderna have moved on to the next phase of the fight against the virus: studying to see if the vaccine will be safe and effective for children. “Children under 18 make up 85 million people in [the] U.S. – about 20% of the population,” Dr. Yvonne Maldonado, professor of pediatrics, epidemiology and population health at Stanford University, told ABC News. “Getting them vaccinated is a major contribution to reducing transmission of virus.”

Today, kids as young as 6 months old are taking part in trials for both companies’ vaccines with their parent’s consent. Dr. Zinaida Good, a research fellow at the Stanford cancer center, enrolled both her sons in Stanford Hospital’s Pfizer trial. “We thought participating is a really good way to protect our kids,” she said. “So far, because this vaccine has been tested in a lot of teenagers and so many adults and it was shown [to be] very safe, we felt pretty comfortable to participate.”

/snip

In Moderna’s phase one trial, all kids will follow up for their second shot 28 days after their first. For Pfizer, it will be 21 days later. Researchers refer to this as a “dosing” trial as they try to figure out how much of the vaccine kids can tolerate, and how much they need to be protected. After researchers find an appropriate dose with the younger children, they’ll move onto the second part of the trial, which includes splitting children into a placebo and a treatment group.

“We'll follow these children out for a year to determine how they've done with it,” Plimpton said. Pfizer’s study involves 5,000 kids nationwide and they say they hope to have results by the winter. In the meantime, doctors say protecting against variants spreading in children will remain a challenge.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/children-young-months-now-covid-19-vaccine-trials/story?id=77353416

I expect the time frame is going to be similar to the adult trials - at least 6 months, so we're talking at least into the fall and then they'd have to compile their data and submit for review and EUA approval.

Reply to this post

Response to BumRushDaShow (Reply #14)

Fri Apr 30, 2021, 06:39 PM

30. Just wishing they'll approve it for some of the kids soon

We are seeing a lot of cases in my area with kids now.

Reply to this post

Response to BoringUsername (Reply #30)

Fri Apr 30, 2021, 07:01 PM

31. We just had an outbreak in one classroom in the suburban Philly area

announced the past week. Apparently the outbreak had occurred on April 9th among 8 children in a single classroom and it impacted 2 fully vaccinated adults as well. They are speculating it was due to a faulty HVAC system (the duct into that room that was only operating at about 30% air flow) -

https://www.mainlinemedianews.com/mainlinetimes/faulty-hvac-may-have-led-to-8-children-contracting-covid-in-penn-valley-elementary/article_7e226d7e-a6a8-11eb-a89d-cbd71329e927.html

Much of the claims regarding children is that if/when they do get it, outside of those unfortunate few whose infections trigger what they call MIS-C (Multi-Inflammatory Syndrome in Children), they generally have mild cases.

However my thing is, they are carriers and spreaders and I expect some of the downplaying of children at the moment, is due to not yet having an "approved" (even as a EUA) vaccine for them, and they don't want to overly panic people.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 30, 2021, 01:44 PM

12. That's the same idea the Chinese government had in the 1990s towards HIV

Their attitude was "HIV was a foreign disease" and Chinese people were immune to it because it didn't originate in China.

Are children not humans too? Are children not prone to disease? Have we tested children as much as we test adults?

In my district, there a numerous multi-generational families. When did children automatically be immune to a HUMAN airborne respiratory virus?

I am a teacher and I hate online teaching. My niece and nephew hate it. My student are burnt out and WANT to go back to school. The Chairman of the Tohono o'Odham Nation here in Arizona declared schools (and pretty much the Nation) shut down due to COVID19. Who am I to challenge it?

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 30, 2021, 05:19 PM

19. I agree w Biden, but vaccinate the kids before the fall term. that said we dont have school age kids

so just my dos pesos.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread