HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » NC governor pardons man w...

Sat May 1, 2021, 04:25 AM

NC governor pardons man who had murder convictions vacated

Source: Associated Press

North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper has granted a pardon of innocence to a man who had been imprisoned for two decades before his two murder convictions were vacated more than four years ago by a judge

ByThe Associated Press
April 30, 2021, 9:26 PM
• 2 min read

RALEIGH, N.C. -- North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper granted a pardon of innocence Friday to a man imprisoned for two decades before his two murder convictions were vacated more than four years ago by a trial judge.

The pardon means Darryl Anthony Howard, who is now 58, can apply to the North Carolina Industrial Commission for compensation of up to $750,000 for his wrongful convictions.

“It is important to continue our efforts to reform the justice system and to acknowledge wrongful convictions,” Cooper said in a news release.

The governor's office said this pardon of innocence was Cooper's sixth since taking office in early 2017.

Read more: https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/nc-governor-pardons-man-murder-convictions-vacated-77427824

5 replies, 1217 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to Judi Lynn (Original post)

Sat May 1, 2021, 05:16 AM

1. Just another reason (as if one was needed) to get rid of the death penalty.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to TreasonousBastard (Reply #1)

Sat May 1, 2021, 09:05 AM

2. No need or decent purpose for the death penalty or for the chckenshit death penalty: life with ...

... no parole, either or of sentences longer than a life expectancy.

Reply to this post

Response to TreasonousBastard (Reply #1)

Sat May 1, 2021, 04:39 PM

3. I'm running for office in Arizona. I agree with you. Here is my position on that

I do not believe the State should have the power to take away from a person something it does not have the power to give it back. I also will work to end private prisons, mandatory minimums, and the revocation of civil rights while on parole or if sentences have been completed.

Since taking a life is something the state can take away that they cannot give back, I am against it completely.

Reply to this post

Response to AZLD4Candidate (Reply #3)

Sat May 1, 2021, 11:05 PM

4. Good point. I hope it gets you more votes than mandatory minimums loses...

Law & Order is one of the more emotional issues out there. Everyone agrees potholes should be filled, and no one gets riled up about how to to fill them. But, bring up sentencing and everyone's worst fears are brought to the front and the hang 'em all types get full play.

I agree with Blackstone's Ratio-- "Better That 10 Guilty Men Go Free Than To Convict A Single Innocent Man" which I doubt will get you any votes, but at least you can know that you are correct, and that is what American criminal law is supposed to aspire to. If that's any consolation.

https://www.crammlawfirm.com/better-that-10-guilty-men-go-free-than-to-convict-a-single-innocent-man/

Reply to this post

Response to TreasonousBastard (Reply #4)

Sun May 2, 2021, 01:18 AM

5. If I lose, I will lose by being upfront, honest, and speaking simply and plainly

If might not get me votes, but I plan to run my Republican opponent, Joel John, into the ground.

My attitude is one from Mel, the cook on Alice: "The best defense is a good offensive."

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread