HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » 'Effective 6:00 PM Tonigh...

Wed May 26, 2021, 10:19 AM

'Effective 6:00 PM Tonight': Biden White House Shows FOUR Trump Appointees the Door

Source: Mediaite

President Joe Biden replaced four Trump appointees, who were sent letters ordering them to resign, or “be terminated effective 6:00 pm tonight.” On Tuesday, the president announced the appointment of four new members to the Commission on Fine Arts, which oversees the design of federal buildings in D.C. But before that, the Trump-appointed members of the 7-member commission were sent letters, which CNN obtained, showing them the door:

Justin Shubow, who was appointed in 2018 and later elected chairman, received a letter from the White House on Monday requesting he resign from the commission — or be terminated that evening. “Should we not receive your resignation, your position with the Commission will be terminated effective 6:00 pm tonight,” according to the letter reviewed by CNN.

Shubow told CNN he refused to resign, and accused the Biden administration of waging “an attack on classical and traditional architecture,” but White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki had a more innocent explanation. Asked about the move by NPR’s Asma Khalid, Psaki replied that “I, unfortunately, don’t have all the details on this,” but added “The little piece I recall is that a number of them were nominated just recently in January of 2021, so before President Trump left office. And certainly, any President coming in has the right to nominate their own people to serve on a commission or serve in any positions in their own administration.” Trump appointed four members to the commission on December 22, 2020, less than a month before leaving office and weeks before the deadly Capitol insurrection. Three of them — Chas Fagan, Perry Guillot, and Steven Spandle — were fired yesterday, while three of Trump’s appointees — Rodney Mims Cook, Jr., James C. McCrery, II, and Duncan G. Stroik — remain.

Read more: https://www.mediaite.com/news/effective-600-pm-tonight-biden-white-house-shows-four-trump-appointees-the-door/

23 replies, 5003 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 23 replies Author Time Post
Reply 'Effective 6:00 PM Tonight': Biden White House Shows FOUR Trump Appointees the Door (Original post)
Mr. Sparkle May 2021 OP
SoCalNative May 2021 #1
Ocelot II May 2021 #2
trusty elf May 2021 #22
Siwsan May 2021 #3
bottomofthehill May 2021 #4
calimary May 2021 #6
CaptainTruth May 2021 #5
monkeyman1 May 2021 #7
Evolve Dammit May 2021 #8
The Mouth May 2021 #14
bucolic_frolic May 2021 #9
Marcuse May 2021 #10
erronis May 2021 #11
Hekate May 2021 #16
muriel_volestrangler May 2021 #12
The Mouth May 2021 #13
FailureToCommunicate May 2021 #18
LastLiberal in PalmSprings May 2021 #15
Marthe48 May 2021 #17
LiberalFighter May 2021 #19
Mr.Bill May 2021 #20
Blue Owl May 2021 #21
SuperCoder May 2021 #23

Response to Mr. Sparkle (Original post)

Wed May 26, 2021, 10:23 AM

1. Shubow told CNN he refused to resign

and accused the Biden administration of waging “an attack on classical and traditional architecture,”

You know who else insisted on only allowing classical and traditional architecture, and classic-style artwork?

Rhymes with Pitler.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to SoCalNative (Reply #1)

Wed May 26, 2021, 10:35 AM

2. Albert Speer would have been TFG's first choice if he'd been available.

Reply to this post

Response to Ocelot II (Reply #2)

Thu May 27, 2021, 12:46 AM

22. ...

Reply to this post

Wed May 26, 2021, 10:35 AM

3. That exact same thought occurred to me. EOM

Reply to this post

Wed May 26, 2021, 10:53 AM

4. Funny, I thought the 1/6 armed insurrection at the Capitol

Was an attack on classic, traditional architecture…..silly me, I guess I still don’t understand what happened that day.

Reply to this post

Response to bottomofthehill (Reply #4)

Wed May 26, 2021, 01:11 PM

6. Exactly.

Reply to this post

Wed May 26, 2021, 12:18 PM

5. Drain the cesspool!

Reply to this post

Wed May 26, 2021, 01:12 PM

7. out with the trash !! in with the good replacement's !!

Reply to this post

Wed May 26, 2021, 01:46 PM

8. Imagine what another four years would have looked like.

Reply to this post

Response to Evolve Dammit (Reply #8)

Wed May 26, 2021, 02:52 PM

14. Why try

when we have Triumph Of The Will to watch on DVD or streaming?

Reply to this post

Wed May 26, 2021, 02:00 PM

9. Kick the Kulture Klub to the Kurb!!

And get on with it!

Reply to this post

Wed May 26, 2021, 02:11 PM

10. Shubow's temporary relief is over.

Dear Mr. Shubow,

It’s the shortest day of the (longest) year, but I felt obliged to make the time to respond to your fundraising letter of December 2, especially in light of the recent announcement from the White House. Please remove me from your mailing list, and know that I am saddened by what the organization has become under your leadership.

I used to support NCAS when it was effectively a voice for diversity, asking that traditional and vernacular architectural styles be given a fair shake as an alternative to the modernist approaches that dominate the profession. When I was design director at the NEA, I took pains to create intellectually diverse grant-giving panels so that more traditional proposals would be given a fair hearing. I always enjoyed the opportunity to argue for the ideology-free nature of a style employed in equal measure by democracies and tyrants. Thanks to you, I’m not sure I can do that anymore.

By ghost-writing an executive order to make classicism the default style for federal architecture, you and your organization have shown that your goal is no longer diversity, but domination. By accusing “Modernists”—cute, your big M—of wanting the same, you expose the childish impulse behind trying to win the style wars. You have gone from wanting a seat at the table to trying to pull out everyone else’s chair.

Worse yet, you have done this in partnership with a would-be autocrat. We used to think that destroying the Bonwit-Teller, throwing up glitzy dreck, and stiffing his architects was all the harm that Donald Trump could do to the building arts. Now we know better. For those of us who enjoy both modern and traditional design, but are less flexible in our support for democracy, you have sadly put the nail in the coffin of classicism’s ideological innocence. Whatever it may have been before, it is now the house style of the Trump kleptocracy.

Far from improving the prospects for traditional architecture in the US, you have doomed it, and your organization, to permanent association with a would-be tyrant. If this week’s victory gives you any sense of comfort, I’m sorry to say it’s the temporary relief of someone who just shat the pool.

Sincerely yours,

Jeff Speck, FAICP, FCNU, LEED-AP, Honorary ASLA

[link:https://commonedge.org/jeff-specks-letter-to-justin-shubow-and-his-push-for-a-state-sanctioned-architectural-style/|

Reply to this post

Response to Marcuse (Reply #10)

Wed May 26, 2021, 02:45 PM

11. That's an amazing letter from Jeff Speck. Full of quotable lines that should resonate with the rest

of the (r)epuglicons and trumpistas.

Last paragraph alone:
Far from improving the prospects for traditional architecture in the US, you have doomed it, and your organization, to permanent association with a would-be tyrant. If this week’s victory gives you any sense of comfort, I’m sorry to say it’s the temporary relief of someone who just shat the pool.

Reply to this post

Response to Marcuse (Reply #10)

Wed May 26, 2021, 03:22 PM

16. That's a jaw-dropping smack across the face. Huzzah, Mr Speck!

Reply to this post

Wed May 26, 2021, 02:48 PM

12. There was a Former Guy pattern: keep positions open until the lame duck period, and then stuff them

with reactionaries and Republican apparatchiks. To give them the maximum time possible in the Biden administration where they'd oppose - well, democracy. Not necessarily directly, but just by being against anything the elected government did. It either screws up government, screws up progress, or wastes the time of decent people while they fight it. For the former guy, ideally it did all three.

Trump's role model, was, in many ways, Cartman from South Park - "Respect ma authoritah!!!! Screw you guys, I'm goin' home!"

Reply to this post

Wed May 26, 2021, 02:50 PM

13. Need to get rid of DeJoy ASAP

Reply to this post

Response to The Mouth (Reply #13)

Wed May 26, 2021, 03:39 PM

18. Insane that he's still there! What's the holdup??

Reply to this post

Wed May 26, 2021, 03:20 PM

15. Now if Biden will move the deteriorating FBI HQ from D.C. to one of the GSA approved sites.

As soon as he took office, T***** put an end to the process of moving the headquarters to a much more suitable location, so there would be enough room to build a new campus for the bureau's 1,500 employees.

Since the existing building was located near the Mall, the thought was that Fat Donnie didn't want someone to acquire the structure and turn it into a hotel which would be in direct competition with his hotel. As always, it's always about making money for himself. What would be best for the country never passed through his brain for the entire time he was in office.

There is a push on to get Biden to reinstate the out of town project. Hopefully the Republicans hatred of anything supported by the Democrats won't f*ck up this desperately needed project.

Reply to this post

Wed May 26, 2021, 03:35 PM

17. What do they call the horror of the Rose Garden?

And the nightmarish Christmas decorations? If those examples aren't a war on classical and traditional (art) and architecture, I don't know what is.

Reply to this post

Wed May 26, 2021, 03:54 PM

19. Should had shown them something other than the door.

Reply to this post

Wed May 26, 2021, 09:56 PM

20. All of Trump's residences

look like a New Orleans whorehouse.

Reply to this post

Response to Mr.Bill (Reply #20)

Wed May 26, 2021, 11:07 PM

21. As featured in Architectural Indigest

Reply to this post