HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » FBI agent charged with at...

Tue Jun 1, 2021, 12:10 PM

FBI agent charged with attempted murder in shooting of passenger on Metro train

Source: Washington Post

An FBI agent who shot another passenger during a confrontation aboard a moving subway train just outside Washington was indicted on attempted murder and other counts, according Maryland court records unsealed Tuesday morning.

Eduardo Valdivia, 37, was also charged with first-degree assault, reckless endangerment, and use of a firearm in the commission of a felony stemming from the early-morning encounter six months ago on a southbound Metro Red Line train. The passenger who was struck was hospitalized with gunshot wounds but survived.

Valdivia was booked into the Montgomery County Detention Center Tuesday morning, according to online records and a jail official, after turning himself in. He was expected to appear in court later in the day to have the conditions of his bond reviewed. No trial date has been set.

Law enforcement officials have described Valdivia’s actions as an extreme overreaction to a stranger with a history of aggressive panhandling who confronted the agent but did not physically assault him. There has been no indication that the man was armed.

Read more: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/fbi-agent-charged-with-attempted-murder-in-shooting-of-passenger-on-metro-train/ar-AAKBgi0?li=BBnb7Kz

15 replies, 2777 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 15 replies Author Time Post
Reply FBI agent charged with attempted murder in shooting of passenger on Metro train (Original post)
Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin Jun 2021 OP
PerceptionManagement Jun 2021 #1
Prof. Toru Tanaka Jun 2021 #4
mahatmakanejeeves Jun 2021 #5
Marthe48 Jun 2021 #9
elleng Jun 2021 #10
mahatmakanejeeves Jun 2021 #2
LiberalArkie Jun 2021 #6
LiberalArkie Jun 2021 #3
MarcA Jun 2021 #7
mahatmakanejeeves Jun 2021 #8
marble falls Jun 2021 #12
mahatmakanejeeves Jun 2021 #13
marble falls Jun 2021 #14
sarcasmo Jun 2021 #11
mahatmakanejeeves Jun 2021 #15

Response to Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin (Original post)

Tue Jun 1, 2021, 12:26 PM

1. Why isn't the headline "Violent snowflake with huge chip on shoulder murders local beggar"

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to PerceptionManagement (Reply #1)

Tue Jun 1, 2021, 04:36 PM

4. I agree with your post except

it should be "attempts to murder".

Reply to this post

Response to PerceptionManagement (Reply #1)

Tue Jun 1, 2021, 04:58 PM

5. Maybe because of this:

Last edited Tue Jun 1, 2021, 05:48 PM - Edit history (1)

I've snipped the 911 call. Give it a listen; see what you think.

I'm going to reserve judgment.

Again, I was not on the train when this happened.

Public Safety

911 call released in FBI Metro shooting details possible attack on agent before encounter

By Dan Morse
Jan. 27, 2021 at 1:32 p.m. EST

The FBI agent who shot another passenger aboard a moving Metro train last month was first confronted by the man, warned him to back away and saw the man instead prepare to fight him, according to a 911 call by a witness to the encounter that was released Wednesday.

“The FBI agent said: ‘Move away. I’m an FBI agent. Back away,’ ” the 911 caller said. “The other gentleman didn’t, dropped his bag, approached him to fight him.”

The agent fired “two or three” rounds, the 911 caller said, as the train was pulling into the Medical Center station the morning of Dec. 15. The caller indicated that the agent then helped the injured man get off the train at the station.

The caller said the FBI agent was “attacked” by the other passenger but did not describe how and did not indicate whether there was any physical contact before the shooting.

{snip}

By Dan Morse
Dan Morse covers courts and crime in Montgomery County. He arrived at the paper in 2005, after reporting stops at the Wall Street Journal, Baltimore Sun and Montgomery (Ala.) Advertiser, where he was a Pulitzer Prize finalist. He is the author of "The Yoga Store Murder." Twitter https://twitter.com/morsedan

Reply to this post

Response to mahatmakanejeeves (Reply #5)

Tue Jun 1, 2021, 05:49 PM

9. The big problem with being armed

is immediate escalation. This went from a panhandler acting threatening to a panhandler getting shot.

It seems like if people have guns, they skip any reasonable steps between confrontation and shots fired.

Reply to this post

Response to mahatmakanejeeves (Reply #5)

Tue Jun 1, 2021, 07:06 PM

10. Thanks for providing facts.

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 1, 2021, 12:57 PM

2. I wasn't there. I don't know how I would have reacted. I think I would have been pretty scared.

From the source:

Public Safety

By Dan Morse
June 1, 2021 at 9:50 a.m. EDT

{snip}

Since launching their investigation of the agent after the Dec. 15 shooting, officials with the Metro Transit Police, FBI and the Montgomery County State’s Attorney’s Office have said little about how and why the shooting transpired other than indicating that a “verbal exchange” and confrontation preceded the gunfire. The most comprehensive account was a recorded 911 call released by Montgomery County officials after a public records request.

According to the 911 call, placed by another passenger who saw the encounter, the agent was confronted by a man and warned him to back away. The man instead prepared to fight him, according to the call. “The FBI agent said: ‘Move away. I’m an FBI agent. Back away,’ ” the 911 caller said. “The other gentleman didn’t, dropped his bag, approached him to fight him.”

The agent fired “two or three” rounds, according to the witness who called 911. The account did not disclose what was said by the men before the shooting.

By Dan Morse
Dan Morse covers courts and crime in Montgomery County. He arrived at the paper in 2005, after reporting stops at the Wall Street Journal, Baltimore Sun and Montgomery (Ala.) Advertiser, where he was a Pulitzer Prize finalist. He is the author of "The Yoga Store Murder." Twitter https://twitter.com/morsedan

One more story, based on the Post's article:

JUN 1, 12:50 PM

FBI Agent Charged With Attempted Murder After Shooting Man On Red Line Metro Train

Margaret Barthel https://twitter.com/margaretbarthel

An FBI agent who shot a man on a Red Line Metro train in Dec. 2020 has been charged with second-degree attempted murder following an investigation into the case, according to The Washington Post. The charges, filed in Montgomery County Circuit Court, also include first-degree assault, felony firearm use, and reckless endangerment.

The FBI agent has been identified as Eduardo Valdivia, 37, of Gaithersburg, Maryland.

In December, Valdivia opened fire after a “verbal exchange” with another male passenger on a southbound train outside the Medical Center station. The victim, an adult man, was hospitalized for treatment of his wounds.

Audio of the 911 call from an eyewitness on the train, obtained by The Washington Post after a public records request, indicates that the victim approached Valdivia but did not touch him before Valdivia shot him with “two or three rounds,” according to the caller. Valdivia helped the victim off of the train after the shooting.

{snip}

This post will be updated.

Reply to this post

Response to mahatmakanejeeves (Reply #2)

Tue Jun 1, 2021, 05:10 PM

6. What I also read was the person shot was not wearing a mask and the agent was. Dec 2020.

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 1, 2021, 03:31 PM

3. I have to side with the FBI agent on this one

According to the 911 call, placed by another passenger who saw the encounter, the agent was confronted by a man and warned him to back away. The man instead prepared to fight him, according to the call. “The FBI agent said: ‘Move away. I’m an FBI agent. Back away,’ ” the 911 caller said. “The other gentleman didn’t, dropped his bag, approached him to fight him.”

The agent fired “two or three” rounds, according to the witness who called 911. The account did not disclose what was said by the men before the shooting.

Valdivia was a project officer at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, working with community health centers around the country, before joining the FBI in 2011.

He worked on undercover assignments and most recently was a Supervisory Special Agent at FBI headquarters, providing “operational guidance” of domestic terrorism investigations,” Bonsib said.

Reply to this post

Response to LiberalArkie (Reply #3)

Tue Jun 1, 2021, 05:29 PM

7. People should be able to go about their lives without being accosted,

verbally, physically, whatever. Open as to whether or not the gun was needed in this case.

Reply to this post

Response to LiberalArkie (Reply #3)

Tue Jun 1, 2021, 05:39 PM

8. At the time, patronage would have been about 80 to 90 percent off normal (i.e., pre-pandemic) levels

on the Metrorail. Before federal workers were sent home to telework, you could be jammed like sardines into cars during rush hour. When I rode on Friday afternoon, I could see no more than two or three other people on some cars. As the afternoon wore on, the passenger level went up to fifteen or twenty people on a car. This was on the Red Line and Green Line going to and coming from Fort Totten.

Medical Center is not some remote station at the far end of a line. The train was southbound on the Red Line, and it would have been carrying people from Montgomery County into DC. It was likely not crowded, so there was no need for anyone to confront anyone else. There was room to spread out.

Once again, I was not there, but I haven't seen a crowded Metrorail car in quite some time.

Almost all trains these days are eight-car trains with 7000-series equipment. I didn't see a six-car train all Friday.

Reply to this post

Response to mahatmakanejeeves (Reply #8)

Tue Jun 1, 2021, 11:41 PM

12. The accoster was leaving before the agent had to have the last fucking word. I don't poke ....

... retreating bears with a stick, do you?

Reply to this post

Response to marble falls (Reply #12)

Wed Jun 2, 2021, 06:43 AM

13. I haven't seen an account that supports that version. Where did you see that? NT

Reply to this post

Response to mahatmakanejeeves (Reply #13)

Wed Jun 2, 2021, 08:27 AM

14. Heck w/Wapo's pay wall ...

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/01/politics/fbi-agent-charged-shooting-maryland-metro/index.html

"asked Valdivia for money and when Valdivia said that he didn't have any, Slaughter walked away spewing expletives, prosecutors said in court on Tuesday. Valdivia, who was promoted last year to a supervisory special agent, told Slaughter to watch his mouth. The FBI agent's response caused Slaughter to turn back around and get into Valdivia's face before two shots were fired, prosecutors said."

Here's an ironic quote from his attorney salient to my point ...

"Bonsib says Slaughter provoked Valdivia with "threatening and aggressive behavior -- at close range" that put him in "imminent danger" of getting into a fight and Slaughter getting hold of his gun. Bonsib says that prior to the December incident, Valdivia never discharged his firearm in the line of duty.

"It is clear that Eddie Valdivia acted to prevent what was about to be a physical confrontation with Mr. Slaughter," Bonsib says in a news release. "Eddie Valdivia's opinion of the danger posed by Mr. Slaughter was properly and correctly based upon his training and experience dealing with violence.""

His training caused him to have a last word with a retreating "threat" and to call that threat back and pull a gun on that threat in a crowded passenger car and without ever identifying himself as law enforcement, shoot him??

"Prosecutors said at Valdivia's initial appearance that he hadn't identified himself as an FBI agent until after the shooting. He did not know Slaughter nor was he aware of Slaughter's criminal history prior to the shooting, prosecutors said.

After the Metro Transit Police completed their investigation on December 21, they turned over all their evidence to the Montgomery County state's attorney for review. A grand jury indicted Valdivia on Thursday and a warrant was issued on Friday, according to online records."

The charges are pretty heavy, but the agent almost killed someone and possibly might have killed an onlooker or two, also. I imagine the FBI will also deal him even if he gets letoff by a jury morphing his misdeeds into self defense.

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 1, 2021, 07:11 PM

11. "Aggressive panhandling" shaking the change cup in your face?

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 2, 2021, 06:32 PM

15. FBI agent charged with attempted murder in shooting of man on Metro train

This article went online yesterday after I had walked away from my computer.

Public Safety

FBI agent charged with attempted murder in shooting of man on Metro train

By Dan Morse
June 1, 2021 at 7:25 p.m. EDT

An FBI agent who shot a man during a confrontation aboard a moving subway train just outside Washington was indicted on attempted murder and other counts, according to Maryland court records unsealed Tuesday.

Eduardo “Eddie” Valdivia, 37, was also charged with first-degree assault, reckless endangerment, and use of a firearm in the commission of a felony stemming from the early-morning encounter six months ago on a southbound Metro Red Line train. Prosecutors say he fired two shots at the passenger, who was hospitalized with damage to three internal organs. He survived.

The agent turned himself into the Montgomery County jail Tuesday morning before Circuit Court Judge Joan Ryon later allowed him released on his own recognizance.

Law enforcement officials have described Valdivia’s actions as an extreme overreaction to an unarmed stranger who confronted the agent but did not physically assault him. In court Tuesday, prosecutors provided their most detailed accounting to date of what happened.

{snip}

By Dan Morse

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread