HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Manchin, Schumer strike d...

Tue Jun 22, 2021, 03:21 PM

Manchin, Schumer strike deal ahead of election bill vote

Source: MSN

Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) said Tuesday that he will vote in favor of advancing a sweeping election bill, after striking a deal with Senate Majority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) on a compromise proposal.

Schumer, speaking to reporters after a closed-door caucus lunch, announced that he and Manchin had reached an agreement that will allow Democrats to be unified in support of advancing the For the People Act as it faces a 60-vote procedural hurdle.

"I'm pleased to report that Sen. Manchin and I have come to an agreement. He came to my office oh about two hours ago and we worked it out," Schumer told reporters.

Under the deal, Manchin will provide a 50th Democratic vote on advancing the For the People Act, though it will still fail to overcome Tuesday's procedural hurdle because of a GOP filibuster that requires 60 votes. But being unified, Democrats hope, will keep the focus on GOP opposition to the bill.

Read more: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/manchin-schumer-strike-deal-ahead-of-election-bill-vote/ar-AALkbTj?li=BBnb7Kz

Manchin supports making Election Day a public holiday, mandating at least 15 consecutive days for early voting in federal elections, banning gerrymandering and making voter registration through state motor vehicle departments. Manchin is also ready to back tighter campaign finance requirements currently in the For the People Act, including requiring online and digital ads to disclose their source similar to TV and radio ads, imposing tighter ethics requirements for presidents and vice presidents, and requiring campaigns and committees to report foreign contacts.

10 replies, 1969 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply Manchin, Schumer strike deal ahead of election bill vote (Original post)
TomCADem Jun 2021 OP
USAFRetired_Liberal Jun 2021 #1
drray23 Jun 2021 #5
AZSkiffyGeek Jun 2021 #6
Orrex Jun 2021 #10
Lovie777 Jun 2021 #2
Bayard Jun 2021 #3
Girard442 Jun 2021 #4
LastLiberal in PalmSprings Jun 2021 #7
bucolic_frolic Jun 2021 #8
Deminpenn Jun 2021 #9

Response to TomCADem (Original post)

Tue Jun 22, 2021, 03:28 PM

1. This means nothing

Dumb stupid politics and Senate games that do nothing.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to USAFRetired_Liberal (Reply #1)

Tue Jun 22, 2021, 03:52 PM

5. this does not mean nothing.

one step at a time. Now we have to work on changing the filibuster which would have been moot if we did not even have 50.

Reply to this post

Response to drray23 (Reply #5)

Tue Jun 22, 2021, 03:57 PM

6. Easier to complain about allies than actually pressure your enemies

Heaven forbid someone calls out the Republicans for blocking election reform...

Reply to this post

Response to AZSkiffyGeek (Reply #6)

Tue Jun 22, 2021, 07:17 PM

10. We know how Republicans will vote 100% of the time. We don't always know how Manchin will vote.

I suppose it's easier to scold people for recognizing this fact than it is to recognize this fact.

Pressuring Republicans is demonstrably futile. They can't be shamed, coerced, or bargained into abandoning their sacred cult dogma. They will take whatever Democrats offer and will give nothing in return, as they always do.

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 22, 2021, 03:33 PM

2. Unified. . . ..

it's a start.

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 22, 2021, 03:41 PM

3. So....

How's about that filibuster, Joe?

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 22, 2021, 03:44 PM

4. It'll shame the Republicans.

Like they could be.

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 22, 2021, 05:50 PM

7. What's that cackling sound I hear? It's Moscow Mitch laughing about "elections have consequences."

He's proven he wins no matter who is in the majority. He is laughing because he has met his goal -- the Republicans will ensure they maintain control until they all die from COVID or bat rabies.

Fuck the filibuster and all who support it in the face of what's stake. I know we're not supposed to tall ill of fellow Democrats, so I'll just wait until 2022 to read the book, "Joe Manchin: The Man Who Killed Democracy." What a legacy.

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 22, 2021, 05:51 PM

8. More than 40 Republicans will vote against voting rights?

Don't tell the folks back home ..........

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 22, 2021, 05:57 PM

9. AFAIK, the federal "motor voter" law allowing people to

register to vote when they get or renew driver's licensces hasn't been repealed. I know here in PA, each time I go to renew my license, I'm asked if I want to register to vote.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread