HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Rep. Sharice Davids tests...

Fri Aug 6, 2021, 09:49 PM

Rep. Sharice Davids tests positive for COVID-19. She's vaccinated, with mild symptoms

Source: McClatchy

BY JONATHAN SHORMAN
UPDATED AUGUST 06, 2021 05:25 PM

Kansa Rep. Sharice Davids

Kansas Rep. Sharice Davids, who is fully vaccinated, said Friday that she has tested positive for COVID-19 but reports only mild symptoms.

Davids, a Democrat representing Kansas’3rd Congressional District, was already in Kansas recovering from a recent unrelated outpatient surgery. Her office disclosed Friday that she has now tested positive for the virus.

Davids’ positive test adds to the number of Kansas City area politicians who have had the virus since the start of the pandemic. Kansas Rep. Jake LaTurner had COVID-19 in January, and Missouri Gov. Mike Parson contracted it last fall.

But Davids represents the first known breakthrough infection among a major political figure in the region. Such cases are believed to be relatively rare, and in fully vaccinated individuals they almost never lead to hospitalization.

“Earlier today, I received a positive COVID-19 PCR test result. My symptoms are mild, and per CDC and House Attending Physician Guidance I am continuing to isolate at home, where I have been since an unrelated outpatient parathyroid surgery,” Davids said in a statement.

Read more: https://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/politics-government/article253317933.html

Rep. Sharice Davids becomes latest COVID-19 breakthrough case
BY JORDAN WILLIAMS - 08/06/21 04:06 PM EDT

Rep. Sharice Davids (D-Kan.) announced on Friday that she has tested positive for COVID-19, becoming the latest House member to disclose a breakthrough infection.

Davids said in a statement that her symptoms are mild and that she is isolating at home, where she’s been since having an unrelated surgery.

“Earlier today, I received a positive COVID-19 PCR test result. My symptoms are mild, and per CDC [Centers for Disease Control and Prevention] and House Attending Physician Guidance I am continuing to isolate at home, where I have been since an unrelated outpatient parathyroid surgery. I have followed CDC recommended precautions throughout this pandemic, including masking indoors in areas of high or substantial transmission,” Davids said.

Davids, who was vaccinated in January, said she is “incredibly grateful for the vaccine and the protection that it offers. I know things could have been much worse for me without it.”

“As the Delta variant spreads in our state, I encourage everyone to protect themselves and others and get their shot. We need everyone to get vaccinated in order to put the worst of this virus behind us,” she continued.

More:
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/566773-rep-sharice-davids-becomes-latest-covid-19-breakthrough-case

(Sharice is also a mixed martial arts fighter!)

https://www.mic.com/articles/190581/progressives-are-running-in-red-states-too-including-a-lesbian-mma-fighter-in-kansas

19 replies, 1806 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 19 replies Author Time Post
Reply Rep. Sharice Davids tests positive for COVID-19. She's vaccinated, with mild symptoms (Original post)
Judi Lynn Aug 6 OP
cadoman Aug 6 #1
JohnSJ Aug 7 #5
JohnSJ Aug 7 #7
Politicub Aug 7 #9
JohnSJ Aug 7 #15
lapucelle Aug 7 #18
DURHAM D Aug 6 #2
madville Aug 6 #3
BumRushDaShow Aug 7 #4
LisaL Aug 7 #6
JohnSJ Aug 7 #8
Polybius Aug 7 #10
BumRushDaShow Aug 7 #11
JohnSJ Aug 7 #12
BumRushDaShow Aug 7 #13
JohnSJ Aug 7 #14
Slammer Aug 7 #16
BumRushDaShow Aug 7 #17
GulfCoast66 Aug 8 #19

Response to Judi Lynn (Original post)

Fri Aug 6, 2021, 10:00 PM

1. I'm flabbergasted that we're still doing the PCR test...

If you have someone come into your hospital mildly symptomatic, are you really going to determine treatment based on this meaningless test? Are hospitals just running it out of habit, for cash, or what?

Maybe there is just a little bit of Elizabeth Holmes in all of us?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to cadoman (Reply #1)

Sat Aug 7, 2021, 11:43 AM

5. It's not a meaningless test. The polymerase chain reaction tests are the most reliable ways to test

for sars cov2

A website “offguardian” started this lie. It is a website that pushes conspiracy theories and Russian propaganda

“OffGuardian was launched in 2015. The site’s name comes from the fact that its founders were all "banned from the Guardian’s ‘Comment is Free’ sections," according to its about section.

OffGuardian has a track record of publishing conspiracy theories and Russian propaganda, so we wanted to take a closer look at its claim about COVID-19 testing.”

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2020/jul/07/blog-posting/covid-19-tests-are-not-scientifically-meaningless/

You should remove this post because it is spreading false information

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 7, 2021, 12:08 PM

7. This post is false and inaccurate information and should not be regarded as factual

The PCR test for covid is one of the most accurate tests for covid. A website offgardian

has been pushing the lie along with other conspiracy theories and false information

“OffGuardian was launched in 2015. The site’s name comes from the fact that its founders were all "banned from the Guardian’s ‘Comment is Free’ sections," according to its about section.

OffGuardian has a track record of publishing conspiracy theories and Russian propaganda, so we wanted to take a closer look at its claim about COVID-19 testing.”

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2020/jul/07/blog-posting/covid-19-tests-are-not-scientifically-meaningless/

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 7, 2021, 12:28 PM

9. You are spreading a rumor that originated on Facebook. Stop it.

Here are the facts:

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm695152a3.htm

Summary
What is already known about this topic?

Antigen tests for SARS-CoV-2 are inexpensive and can return results within 15 minutes, but test performance data in asymptomatic and symptomatic persons are limited.

What is added by this report?

Compared with real-time reverse transcription–polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) testing, the Sofia antigen test had a sensitivity of 80.0% and specificity of 98.9% among symptomatic persons; accuracy was lower (sensitivity 41.2% and specificity 98.4%) when used for screening of asymptomatic persons.

What are the implications for public health practice?

To account for reduced antigen test accuracy, confirmatory testing with a nucleic acid amplification test (e.g., RT-PCR) should be considered after negative antigen test results in symptomatic persons and positive antigen test results in asymptomatic persons.

Here's more about why your post isn't accurate:

https://www.factcheck.org/2021/07/scicheck-viral-posts-misrepresent-cdc-announcement-on-covid-19-pcr-test/

Reply to this post

Response to Politicub (Reply #9)

Sat Aug 7, 2021, 04:25 PM

15. Thank-you. I have to wonder if this misinformation is intentional

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 7, 2021, 11:27 PM

18. What are you talking about?

If I were a health care provider and someone came into my hospital, I would have the expertise to understand that PCR testing is a diagnostic tool, only one of several considerations in determining treatment.

And I would certainly know better than to assess diagnostic tools based on what people say on facebook.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EUA withdrawal for CDC COVID-19 PCR test is due to the development of newer tests that help save time and resources, not because the test is faulty

CDC spokesperson Jasmine Reed explained the reason for the withdrawal:

“Given the availability of commercial options for clinical diagnosis of SARS-CoV-2 infection, including multiplexed and high-throughput options, CDC intends to discontinue support for the CDC 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019 nCoV) Real-Time RT-PCR Diagnostic Panel, the assay first introduced in February 2020 for detection of SARS-CoV-2.

Although the CDC 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019 nCoV) Real-Time RT-PCR Diagnostic Panel met an important unmet need when it was developed and deployed and has not demonstrated any performance issues, the demand for this test has declined with the emergence of other higher-throughput and multiplexed assays. CDC is encouraging public health laboratories (PHL) to adopt the CDC Influenza SARS-CoV-2 (Flu SC2) Multiplex Assay to enable continued surveillance for both influenza and SARS-CoV-2, which will save both time and resources for PHL.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For a full picture of all the false information floating around on social media concerning PCR tests, you can read the full article here.

https://healthfeedback.org/claimreview/eua-withdrawal-for-cdc-covid-19-pcr-test-is-due-to-the-development-of-newer-tests-that-help-save-time-and-resources-not-because-the-test-is-faulty/

====================================================================

Welcome to DU!

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 6, 2021, 10:14 PM

2. So it looks like she got it from a health care provider at the surgical center. nt

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 6, 2021, 10:43 PM

3. The breakthrough cases don't seem that rare here

We have had 5 people test positive at work recently, three of them are fully vaccinated. One of those three even had COVID a year ago before getting vaccinated in January and just now had it again (but only had very mild symptoms this last time, he said basically just a runny nose).

One of the unvaccinated guys had to spend several days in the hospital, so of course being vaccinated is beneficial to keep infections mild in most cases.

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 7, 2021, 06:10 AM

4. "Such cases are believed to be relatively rare"

More and more this idea, thanks to Delta, is now BULLSHIT. It's not "relatively rare". It's now more along the lines of "infrequent" or "possible".

No vaccine like this is a 100% shield, and the fact that there was little reporting on breakthroughs with previous variants, shows how earlier in the year with the vaccines slowly making headway through the population, it was "relatively rare", and was very very effective against those less aggressive strains.

But Delta has been a game-changer due to the viral load that it can apparently generate and potentially be shed...enough in fact to briefly overwhelm the body's immune system and cause symptoms that might trigger someone to get tested, and confirm either way.

It's literally been 18 months of some health officials and media locking into an "assumption", and refusing to let go until they look like fools when they keep repeating it like a broken record (like the idiotic term "herd immunity" ).

As a sidenote, CDC apparently published their final version of the Cape Cod super-spreader - https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7031e2.htm?s_cid=mm7031e2_w

What is sobering is that despite the attendees (and people in the state of MA) having a high, so called "herd immunity" level vaccination rate, almost 3/4 of the cases were found in vaccinated people -

The vaccine is doing its job by giving the body a head start boost to fight an infection - particularly when it comes to a variant like Delta - but it behooves to have those extra mitigation precautions to keep it bay as much as possible.

I hope Rep. Davis recovers quickly and her body mounts a robust enough response to rid her of every last bit of it.

Reply to this post

Response to BumRushDaShow (Reply #4)

Sat Aug 7, 2021, 12:06 PM

6. Yep.

Delta is breaking through the vaccines. Presumably because the virus load is so high.

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 7, 2021, 12:13 PM

8. It would be interesting to know if those breakthrough cases were mostly from people who were

vaccinated more than 6 months ago, or less than 6 months

Reply to this post

Response to JohnSJ (Reply #8)

Sat Aug 7, 2021, 12:47 PM

10. I'm hoping more

I got my second shot in July, so I'm hoping I'm still good.

Reply to this post

Response to JohnSJ (Reply #8)

Sat Aug 7, 2021, 01:00 PM

11. Digging through the report, I found this

(3 paragraphs above the section that starts with the header "Discussion" )

Among persons with breakthrough infection, 274 (79%) reported signs or symptoms, with the most common being cough, headache, sore throat, myalgia, and fever. Among fully vaccinated symptomatic persons, the median interval from completion of ≥14 days after the final vaccine dose to symptom onset was 86 days (range = 6–178 days).

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7031e2.htm?s_cid=mm7031e2_w

From the cases analyzed in this paper, post-14-day vaccination effectiveness period, infection was occurring between ~6 days - 178 days, so literally from about 1 week to 25 weeks after a final dose, with a medium of 86 days (a little over 12 weeks).

So it sounds like they had a broad range of vaccination dates for those looked at but all had pretty much been vaccinated within 6 months prior, with a few who might have gone just outside of that latest part of the range by a few weeks or so.

Reply to this post

Response to BumRushDaShow (Reply #11)

Sat Aug 7, 2021, 01:07 PM

12. Interesting. Thanks. It seems any booster might need to contain something specific for the delta

variant

Reply to this post

Response to JohnSJ (Reply #12)

Sat Aug 7, 2021, 01:24 PM

13. Probably

although you can imagine getting into a cycle of "chasing the variants", and any change in the vaccine entity requires a new approval. The main players have already been working on that to submit - either in conjunction with their final "rolling" full approval data as an amendment to their current EUA, and/or as a separate EUA for the booster alone.

I remember for years I was running several distributed computer programs on my little home computer farm, in addition to SETI, and one of them was a "protein folding" project - "Folding@Home". In fact I literally just did a quick search on them and they are not only still around but they have turned their sights on COVID-19 - https://foldingathome.org/?lng=en-US

Why not!!

What is happening with some of these variants in some cases, are slight modifications to their spike proteins where depending on how they configure themselves as they move through media or a body, the spikes can twist or fold enough to "hide" crucial sections of their protein chain that antibodies could normally attach to, thus allowing the whole thing to survive longer before being targeted, and neutralized.

Reply to this post

Response to BumRushDaShow (Reply #13)

Sat Aug 7, 2021, 01:45 PM

14. If we could get the remaining 100 million unvaccinated, vaccinated, it would be less likely variants

would evolve quickly

Of course that is just here in the US, the world is a more difficult challenge

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 7, 2021, 07:37 PM

16. "relatively rare" is by definition a relative measure

The question of "relatively rare" is "relative to what"?

The stat I've seen experts on MSNBC quote is that you're only 1/8th as likely to get infected from an exposure if you're vaccinated than if the person next to you is unvaccinated and you're exposed to the same amount of virus for the same amount of time. But life isn't so neat and tidy as to make sure the person next to you stays with you through every environment throughout the length of the day so that you're exposed to the exact same thing for the exact same length of time.

Take one specific vaccinated person and one specific unvaccinated person: the vaccinated person is overwhelmingly more likely to get COVID. That one particular vaccinated person has been going out in public without a mask and in general resuming his normal life without taking any precautions. And that one particular unvaccinated person has been completely homebound, not seeing anyone, and washing his hands compulsively.

Now if you're comparing a vaccinated person who is taking no precautions to an unvaccinated person who has never taken any precautions and who has resumed going to biweekly sex parties with other unvaccinated people, that's a completely different "relatively".

In my personal opinion, "relatively rare" is a stupid thing to say because we don't have an accurate measure of how the average American is behaving in the pandemic. And if you can't even compare something to an average, how can you apply it to all the other data points?

Reply to this post

Response to Slammer (Reply #16)

Sat Aug 7, 2021, 08:45 PM

17. Exactly

and what has happened, the mass media has magnified the term into something that is akin to saying "almost impossible". And they do this by often adding some random statistic as part of their narrative like - "Well only 0.01% might..." or "Only 1 in 100,000 might...", which is something that might have been true with earlier variants, but is perhaps no longer the case. And the repetition breeds more repetition and these repetitive utterances then become talking points that make it difficult to change course.

As a former scientist myself I will say this - and people are seeing it play out right now (but it's often not emphasized that this happens) - many scientists, particularly those in the research fields (and this could include those in the medical professions since they take the same types of courses undergrad) are very competitive and often have very different takes or interpretations regarding a single set of "facts". And this is why the confused messaging has continued, literally for 18 months.

For almost a year, there were arguments about whether the virus could be aerosolized despite the "fact" that plain old physics and physical chemistry (and even common sense) will show how liquids that are sprayed will be all different sizes (unless you have very specialized equipment that is designed to produce uniform droplets/particles).

Over half a year was spent arguing that there was no such thing as "asymptomatic" COVID-19 infected people. And then more arguments about whether they could spread the virus. Similarly, certain symptoms that WERE related to COVID were rejected out of hand.

I think part of the problem tends to be the immediate dismissal of anything that is deemed by them as "anecdotal" and outside of a biased worldview of what is happening, rather than just accepting that anecdote in order to start collecting what could be a relevant piece of data that will be part of learning about the diseases caused by this virus.

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 8, 2021, 12:49 AM

19. So as expected the vaccine worked. She had a mild case.

I never expected the vaccine to keep me from getting Covid. I expected it to keep me from dying from it. And it does.

We do a real shitty job of teaching science in this country. I have a good friend who is a high school science teacher in a southern state. When we first met 36 years ago he was a conservative Catholic. He is a scientist major from a great university. Voted Republican

He insists on teaching evolution because that is still in the teaching plan but had to precede the lesson with this is what science believes and he is not trying to change his kids opinions. And ever more Bullshit disclaimers. But if the kids want to go to college they have to understand it. And many of his kids do.

Ever year he had religious flier dropped off in his mailbox about how he is going to hell and explaining the truth of god’s plan.

The upside? He has now left the Catholic Church and is a member in a liberal church. And votes Democratic.

He’s a great guy. And will retire before forced to teach bullshit.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread