HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Sources: No Biden firings

Sun Aug 22, 2021, 09:26 PM

Sources: No Biden firings

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by Omaha Steve (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: Axios

President Biden isn't inclined to fire any senior national security officials over the chaos in Kabul unless the situation drastically deteriorates or there's significant loss of American life, people familiar with the matter tell Axios.

Why it matters: Dismissing national security advisor Jake Sullivan, Secretary of State Antony Blinken, Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin or CIA Director William Burns would be tantamount to admitting a mistake, and the president stands by his decision.

While acknowledging the U.S. withdrawal from Afghanistan has been “messy” and the Taliban captured the country quicker than he anticipated, Biden is deeply committed to his policy, the people tell Axios.
"I think that history is going to record this was the logical, rational, right decision to make," Biden said Sunday afternoon at the White House.

Read more: https://www.axios.com/bidens-blinders-afghanistan-national-security-team-476bce43-736c-4da5-94b3-4de307d45394.html

9 replies, 1658 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 9 replies Author Time Post
Reply Sources: No Biden firings (Original post)
SouthBayDem Aug 22 OP
quakerboy Aug 22 #1
crimycarny Aug 22 #2
cadoman Aug 23 #7
True Blue American Aug 23 #8
onetexan Aug 22 #3
greenjar_01 Aug 22 #4
Doc Sportello Aug 22 #5
left-of-center2012 Aug 23 #6
Omaha Steve Aug 23 #9

Response to SouthBayDem (Original post)

Sun Aug 22, 2021, 09:34 PM

1. Id like to know who lied

Someone lied. theres no way that every level of the system failed to understand that the country would fall in days not months.

I tend to think that Biden didnt lie to us about his understanding of the abilites of the ANA and government.
Did the generals lie to him?
Did the inteligence establishment lie to everyone?

My money would be on the contractors paid to train the ANA, along with the obvious issues with the Afgan government.

But I'd like to know, not guess. And if Im right, id really like to see some money clawed back for failure to do what they were paid to do. Im sure the Afghanis we are relocating could use some funds to get established

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to quakerboy (Reply #1)

Sun Aug 22, 2021, 09:44 PM

2. One person who lied was Ghani

Response to quakerboy (Reply #1)

Mon Aug 23, 2021, 12:39 AM

7. call me crazy but I feel like Trump set this up

It feels engineered to get us out of Afghanistan w/Biden taken the political fallout.

The Taliban float in there with no warning, no shots fired? No resistance from us or the Afghan army? All the persons w/something to lose paid to stand down or drift away safely? I've even heard Taliban leadership was "cleaned" of its crazier elements so that there'd be minimal reprisal bloodshed. They're interacting with the world press at a level I never would have imagined--even taking zingers at Facebook "censorship" (what we correctly recognize as the necessary act of blocking dangerous misinformation by privately owned businesses).

I know that's a lot to imagine but I felt like the same thing occurred with Carter and Iran. High stakes political games being played with our troops and the Afghan people. Thankfully the body count so far is greatly lower than I would have anticipated.

Response to cadoman (Reply #7)

Mon Aug 23, 2021, 03:51 AM

8. Trump signed an agreement with the Taliban.

They had permission to take over!

Why is everyone ignoring that? It was already set in stone before Biden came into office!

Now the lunatics in the MSM are playing both sides again. We need to shut the press down. Only Nicole and Ari told the truth about the press gaggle.

I once got caught in a press group while going through the Panama Canal. The President of Panama had come on board for lunch with the Captain.

On my way to the gift shop the press surged past me. I had to hang on to the railing to keep from getting knocked down. It was like a herd of hyenas.

Sun Aug 22, 2021, 11:06 PM

3. The spin on this article is BS

Admitting? Firing?

Baloney

Response to onetexan (Reply #3)

Sun Aug 22, 2021, 11:11 PM

4. Analysis and opinion

Not LBN in my view.

Response to onetexan (Reply #3)

Sun Aug 22, 2021, 11:56 PM

5. Oh please

There is no spin, just very basic analysis. People reporting a thread like this is ridiculous.

Response to Doc Sportello (Reply #5)

Mon Aug 23, 2021, 12:17 AM

6. "just basic analysis"

Yet in the SOP for this forum it says no opinion or analysis pieces.

Mon Aug 23, 2021, 06:10 AM

9. After a review by forum hosts....LOCKING

Analysis feature story.

Post the latest news from reputable mainstream news websites and blogs. Important news of national interest only. No analysis or opinion pieces. No duplicates. News stories must have been published within the last 12 hours. Use the published title of the story as the title of the discussion thread.