HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Officials: Many Haitian m...

Wed Sep 22, 2021, 01:06 AM

Officials: Many Haitian migrants are being released in US

Source: Associated Press

DEL RIO, Texas (AP) — Many Haitian migrants camped in a small Texas border town are being released in the United States, two U.S. officials said, undercutting the Biden administration’s public statements that the thousands in the camp faced immediate expulsion.

Haitians have been freed on a “very, very large scale” in recent days, according to one U.S. official who put the figure in the thousands. The official, with direct knowledge of operations who was not authorized to discuss the matter Tuesday and thus spoke on condition of anonymity

Many have been released with notices to appear at an immigration office within 60 days, an outcome that requires less processing time from Border Patrol agents than ordering an appearance in immigration court and points to the speed at which authorities are moving, the official said.

The Homeland Security Department has been busing Haitians from Del Rio to El Paso, Laredo and Rio Grande Valley along the Texas border, and this week added flights to Tucson, Arizona, the official said. They are processed by the Border Patrol at those locations.

Read more: https://apnews.com/article/immigration-united-states-texas-el-paso-del-rio-3a8146cbcb47b9df7a31a19594df3ec6

15 replies, 1837 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 15 replies Author Time Post
Reply Officials: Many Haitian migrants are being released in US (Original post)
SouthBayDem Sep 22 OP
elleng Sep 22 #1
applegrove Sep 22 #2
Post removed Sep 22 #3
elleng Sep 22 #4
SouthBayDem Sep 22 #5
elleng Sep 22 #6
rockfordfile Sep 22 #7
AZLD4Candidate Sep 22 #8
Elessar Zappa Sep 22 #11
abqtommy Sep 22 #9
JohnSJ Sep 22 #12
hamsterjill Sep 22 #14
Name removed Sep 22 #10
dalton99a Sep 22 #13
Mysterian Sep 23 #15

Response to SouthBayDem (Original post)

Wed Sep 22, 2021, 01:07 AM

1. Will this be announced? As 'policy?'

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Sep 22, 2021, 01:19 AM

2. The people who don't qualify as refugees I heard are being sent immediately

back to Haiti.

Reply to this post

Response to Post removed (Reply #3)

Wed Sep 22, 2021, 01:26 AM

4. 'this page doesn't exist. Try searching for something else.'

Reply to this post

Response to elleng (Reply #4)

Wed Sep 22, 2021, 01:36 AM

5. This should be what the previous poster intended to post

It's from a Norwegian newspaper reporter based in the US

Reply to this post

Response to SouthBayDem (Reply #5)

Wed Sep 22, 2021, 01:42 AM

6. Thanks

Reply to this post

Wed Sep 22, 2021, 02:33 AM

7. Were those people checked out?

Vaccinated?

Reply to this post

Wed Sep 22, 2021, 03:16 AM

8. Yet my wife still languishes and waits for approval and her interview for a green card

I guess doing things the "legal" way gets you refused entry into the country and separated from your family until the US Government feels you are worthy enough to be reunited with your American husband.

Our immigration system is completely broken.

Reply to this post

Response to AZLD4Candidate (Reply #8)

Wed Sep 22, 2021, 08:19 AM

11. It needs to be made

much easier for immigrants to enter legally. Right now our government basically incentivizes illegal immigration due to how hard it is to come in the right way. I wish you and your wife luck in sorting this out.

Reply to this post

Wed Sep 22, 2021, 05:42 AM

9. I can't find any balance between this op and the text/photos of mounted

Border Patrol officers harassing Haitians with a whip and a rope. Color me miffed.

Reply to this post

Response to abqtommy (Reply #9)

Wed Sep 22, 2021, 12:28 PM

12. There is none. It is a complicated situation, and I don't think many understand how

we got to where we are.

Part of it was when the Supreme Court ruled 6-3 that required Biden to revive Trump's "remain in Mexico" immigration policy?

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-supreme-court-requires-biden-revive-trump-era-remain-mexico-immigration-2021-08-24/

A few months ago it was made clear that undocumented people should not come to the border, because they would be sent back.

In addition, there is also misinformation coming from various areas that have motivated these Haitian migrants to make the journey, thinking they would be accepted into the country.

https://www.npr.org/2021/09/21/1039393860/misinformation-that-pushed-haitian-migrants-to-u-s-border-persists-amid-deportat

The issue that has caused immediate concern is the treatment of the undocumented migrants, and that is being investigated now.

Much of the blame for what is happening now lies at the feet of what the trump administration did, and the three SC justices that he got to appoint.

We are paying the price for what happened in 2016, and it will take time to clean it up.

Reply to this post

Response to abqtommy (Reply #9)

Wed Sep 22, 2021, 03:43 PM

14. In the interest of facts.

It was not a whip. It is a split rein used on the horse’s bridle. I’ve seen no picture showing the use of a rope. If you have, then accept my apologies and point me to that evidence, please.

This situation is bad enough without the media and politicians embellishing the facts. I’ve heard several politicians specifically say the word “whip” and that is simply not accurate. A rein is not a whip. There is another specific item used by cowboys that is a whip.

I make no excuses for whatever the rein was being used for. Just want our side to stick to facts.

Peace.

Reply to this post

Thu Sep 23, 2021, 08:08 AM

15. An anonymous "official" says something

Yet AP offers no other proof of the claim. Weird.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread